Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Books  (Read 9782 times)

Annie0710

Books
« on: September 01, 2016, 10:39:50 AM »

Hi ladies

I'd like some suggestions on a book or 2  to buy for my 2 upcoming holidays abroad

I'm not a massive reader but I have completed the entire Maeve Binchy collection so would like to hear of authors who write like her and the same era

My interests for a book are:

1930-40s
Working class families and their way of life
U.K.
With a bit of romance thrown in

Annie X

Scampi

Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 11:38:48 AM »

I've not read these books (but now I've found them I'm going to!), but have you looked at 'Nella Last's War', 'Nella Last's Peace' and 'Nella Last in the 1950s'?  The first is the book the TV drama 'Housewife 49' was based on (Nella was played wonderfully by Victoria Wood).  Nella Last starting writing accounts of her life in 1939 as part of a national project .... and carried on almost 30 years!  If the TV drama is anything to go by, the books will be fascinating and very moving.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 12:44:53 PM »

The Minarch Chronicles.  Lots of stories about a London couple who moved to Cornwall not far from the Mynach Theatre which is open air.  They grew daffodils and violets to be picked early each morning to catch the train to the London Markets.  They were adopted by several cats as well as a couple of donkeys, the stories kept me enthralled for years and now I have the complete sets.

I'm re-reading Rosamond Pilcher as well as true stories about surviving during WWII.  If you are away you may find local interest in museums or the library once you arrive!

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 07:37:03 PM »

Not quite what you asked for but have you tried the Agatha Raisin books by M C Beeton?  I have only read one and it's fun and light but not what I'd normally read.  Ideal for holiday.  I gave it to another friend when she went on hols and she loved it so much she bought about 6 more!!

dulciana

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 07:54:35 PM »

I won't read novels that contain violence, suspense, anger, betrayal of trust or other negative things - i.e. anything that pushes my anxiety or stress levels up.   :(

I like novels that are calming, happy, hopeful and/or are about things, places or people I can identify with.

Does that make me seem wimpish?  I don't think so, but I don't really care if it does.   :)

Dorothy

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 07:57:28 PM »

If you are wimpy, Dulciana, then so am I.  I'm even more picky with films!

Annie, have you looked at these websites? www.fantasticfiction.com  and www.goodreads.com

You can search for a book or author you have enjoyed and it gives suggestions for books that are similar.  I'm not sure how accurate it is as all the authors I've searched for don't appear, but Maeve Binchy appears on both, so it might be worth a try.

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 08:48:38 PM »

Doing some research on murder, Dulciana? :o I'm having a rest from murder now my BIL has moved a long, long way away! Saves me the trouble! ;D

I'm currently immersed in re-reading the Poldark novels. I'm my mums library, vetting books for language she doesn't approve of! I don't pass on the thrillers and gory stuff though.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 09:08:45 PM »

As an aside - I won't watch films/TV with any violence in, how anyone can consider writing such Screen Plays I can't understand, then there's the mental health of those that take the roles offered  >:(

I am reading a 'walking' magazine this evening.  Hasn't encouraged me much though  ;D

Annie0710

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 09:39:04 PM »

I won't read novels that contain violence, suspense, anger, betrayal of trust or other negative things - i.e. anything that pushes my anxiety or stress levels up.   :(

I like novels that are calming, happy, hopeful and/or are about things, places or people I can identify with.

Does that make me seem wimpish?  I don't think so, but I don't really care if it does.   :)

Dulciana then that means I'm a wimp too !
I don't like violence at all, I only like to watch/read nice stories

There's enough nastiness in the real world

Annie x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 09:40:59 PM »

We have a bookworm thread, you may get inspiration from there?

Annie0710

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 09:47:56 PM »

If you are wimpy, Dulciana, then so am I.  I'm even more picky with films!

Annie, have you looked at these websites? www.fantasticfiction.com  and www.goodreads.com

You can search for a book or author you have enjoyed and it gives suggestions for books that are similar.  I'm not sure how accurate it is as all the authors I've searched for don't appear, but Maeve Binchy appears on both, so it might be worth a try.

Thank you Dorothy, I'll take. Look

Annie x

dulciana

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 06:31:14 AM »

Doing some research on murder, Dulciana? :o I'm having a rest from murder now my BIL has moved a long, long way away! Saves me the trouble! ;D

I'm currently immersed in re-reading the Poldark novels. I'm my mums library, vetting books for language she doesn't approve of! I don't pass on the thrillers and gory stuff though.

Why do you think that, Ju Ju?   :o  I just avoid thrillers, who-dunnit's, horror stuff and books that give the reader a tense feeling.   

Ju Ju

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 07:06:45 AM »

Oops! Misread your post Dulciana! Sorry! You don't read murder, blood curdling stuff. I read that you did. Now shall I blame that on eyesight, meno, or just lazy reading?  ;D What kind of novels/ authors do you prefer? You are not wimpish. You should always read books that you enjoy when it's for relaxation.

I like a variety. Sometimes I like an easy, fluffy books, like Katie Fforde books. Sometimes I'm in the mood for more challenging books. I do make use of my local library's audio books. The range is quite extensive now. It makes housework and cooking more palatable. I actually enjoy ironing now! It takes the hard work out of reading. Brilliant for when you can't sleep.  I've got piles of books to read, some passed on to me, some bought from the book stall I run for the village fete every summer and some I buy from charity shops and even new ones. Makes me feel rich.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 08:44:50 AM »

I don't generally like Chick Lit books and you can always tell just from the covers what's inside.  They're usually about some fantastically beautiful woman who has been badly let down by a man and is moving somewhere to either open a tea shop on the village green or a yoga studio in the middle of nowhere.

OF course she isn't looking for love but there is always a floppy haired Greek god of a man who falls in love with her.  There are usually a couple of other male villagers who are falling over themselves to get in her bed. Usually the young widowed GP or an artist ... Never the local plumber or the Co-Op assistant. ;D

I also hate books which are not factually correct. I've read novels set in the 19th century and the heroines are saying things like "is she for real?"  I want to throw them at the wall! 

Ju Ju

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 12:06:08 PM »

Pennyfarthing, perhaps you're found a new career writing for Mills and Boone!  ;D
Pages: [1] 2