Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Lost weight and flushes are creeping back....  (Read 2195 times)

matildamouse

Lost weight and flushes are creeping back....
« on: October 07, 2016, 07:59:02 AM »

:o HI ladies, wanted some opinions, experiences or theories please. I recently loss 3kgs (ONLY 3) and I find my hot flushes which were gone are creeping back. I am 53, stopped periods 2 years ago and on Estradot 37.5mcg twice a week, continuous prometrium and vagifem twice a week. I know estrogen is stored in fat etc but can the loss of only 3kgs make such a difference???

Annie0710

Re: Lost weight and flushes are creeping back....
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 08:27:15 AM »

I've heard that theory too but (and I'm not sure I'm right so wait for more knowledgeable women to say) but maybe increase to 50mcg estradot ? 50 seems to be a popular size patch with estrogen post meno plus if you are on progesterone I think that opposes estrogen ?

Again, I'm speculating but I'm sure more experienced ladies will comment

For all the nasty symptoms meno brings flushes are one that I've got no experience with

Hope you get it resolved x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 10:47:58 AM »

I think I have lost a bit of weight recently - difficult to tell as I don't weigh myself as i don't want to be obsessive about weight - but I have noticed my flushes are a bit worse.  I am 60 and trying to do without HRT at the moment and now the weather is a bit cooler I'm coping much better generally.  At your age I think going up to 50mg would be a good thing as this slightly higher dose would be better for your bones anyway - you may as well get the full benefits and protection of HRT. DG x

soniad

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 08:27:09 PM »

Hey Matilda!

YES!! That definitely happened to me.

As you know, my only symptom is insomnia.

In February this year I started doing more cardio. As a result, I lost about 3 kilos. I wasn't taking HRT at the time, but I was experiencing intermittent sleep disturbances; the occasional early morning waking for about one hour every now and then. Before February I would get on average about 5-6 days per month where this would happen;  I would wake at 3AM for about one hour.

It was annoying but manageable, since most of the time I slept pretty well.

Around April (when I had lost the extra weight), it increased to 9-10 times per month until in July, I had a real slump and things went pear shaped (hence starting HRT).

I'm convinced it was the weight loss that did it. The less padding we have, the less we are able to store estrogen (and I am pretty skinny anyway, so the extra drop in kilos was probably the straw that broke the camel's back).

Maybe it's time to go up to 50mcg?

wombat62

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 10:38:43 PM »

Hi there

I posted about this under the thread about middle fat! I've lost a lot of weight over the last year due to gallstones (having to follow a very low fat diet until the thing was removed!) and I find if I go too low I get my symptoms back, worst one being jittery and anxiety. My weight is now pretty stable but the two times it dipped below a certain weight the symptom started again.

We can't win can we! Either we gain and can't lose it and then when you do you get flipping symptoms back again...arghhhh!

matildamouse

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 03:45:18 AM »

Thanks ladies. Yes this is an ongoing uphill learning curve!

Hi Sonia! Yes I will start the 50mcg patch on Monday as I commenced vagifem as well and did not want to make two changes at once. My Dr (who is very proHRT whom I discovered with many thanks to Sonia on this forum)anyway thinks 50mcg is too low for my age. She herself is 10 years older than me and on 75mcg.

What a relief to go to a Dr who is not trying to get you off HRT but wants you on it. Her comment was " I myself am far more scared of dementia than breast cancer; you might still be able to treat breast cancer but what do you do about dementia?"

My biggest concern now is my GP retiring soon...  :o

soniad

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 05:41:40 AM »

Hey Matilda,

I'm thinking of going up to 50mcg soon too.

I've found it's not hard to find a GP who will give you what you need, especially if you know exactly what you want. My local GP hasn't a clue why I keep order blood tests on day 19-21 of my cycle - but she lets me do it anyway!

Take care

xx

matildamouse

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 02:09:31 AM »

Thanks Sonia. I went up to 50mcg Estradot this morning and will see whether it makes a difference.