Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: stopping hrt?  (Read 1952 times)

Yammy1

stopping hrt?
« on: August 22, 2016, 01:11:11 PM »

Hi I have been on hrt for about nine months now (no womb so estrogon only) I was put on hrt to deal with anxiety which soc thinks is hormone related, to be honest not feeling much different even though dosage has been upped. saw different doc last week (male) and he recommended I stop hrt for a few months and see how I go. Has anyone stopped and if so how did you eel, I really would appreciate any advice as sometimes I feel fine and other times Im tearing my hair out.
regards Yammy

Taz2

Re: stopping hrt?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 02:40:06 PM »

Hi Yammy - it sometimes is a good idea to stop to see where you are symptom wise. I have stopped using the cold turkey method and also tapering it off over nine months. Both times my symptoms returned by around the three month mark. I have never found that HRT has helped with my anxiety and, to be honest, I have more panic attacks and anxiety when I am using it than when I am off it but I can't deal with the constant hot sweats and vaginal problems.

Taz x

Yammy1

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 04:07:43 PM »

Thank you Taz2, I am going to stop and see how I get on. The hot flushes are not too bad for me so hopefully I will cope, the doc I saw last week was surprised that hrt was prescribed for anxiety. I am waiting to have a bowel and pelvic floor operation (damaged during hysterectomy) so I would prefer to be hrt free before this.

Yammy

Tempest

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 04:11:56 PM »

My advice would be to taper off gradually, if you can. I've recently done a lot of research on this myself, and it's much kinder to your body and it'll cope better to the change if you do. Sending you..... :hug:

dazned

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 04:17:59 PM »

I stopped hrt and Im doing okay,I too found hrt did nothing for anxiety or my palpitations !

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 04:28:16 PM »

Hi yammy1

If you are still peri-menopausal (which you won't know if you haven't got a womb), then you will unfortunately still get mood swings if your ovaries are still working. This could be the cause of your anxiety rather than the HRT. At the right dose oestrogen should lift mood and if it doesn't maybe the dose should be increased rather than decreased? What dose/type are you taking?

If you are/have been an anxious person anyway then HRT won't help and you will need to find other strategies for dealing with this.

As the others have said - if you decide to stop it is better to taper off. It doesn't affect the final outcome (more research is needed here) but does affect how quickly and how the symptoms return.

Have you had hot flushes or sweats as well - or are you perhaps taking other medication that prevents these?

Hurdity x

Yammy1

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 07:12:55 PM »

I never really suffer with hot flushes so don' know if i'm just one of the lucky ones. have had several blood tests and doc said my hormone level is, in her words ( almost non existent  they are so low) I will take lower dose and then stop and see how it goes

Yammy x