Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: some facts about diabetes and carbohydrates  (Read 1358 times)

babyjane

some facts about diabetes and carbohydrates
« on: August 13, 2016, 02:52:28 PM »

Should people with diabetes avoid carbs?

Diabetes UK recommends that people with diabetes should try to eat a healthy balanced diet, as depicted in the Eatwell Guide, and to include starchy foods at every meal. Steer clear of cutting out entire food groups. It is recommended that everyone with diabetes sees a registered dietitian for specific advice on their food choices. Your GP can refer you to a registered dietitian.
Diabetes UK says there is some evidence which suggests that low-carb diets can lead to weight loss and improvements in blood glucose control in people with type 2 diabetes in the short term. However, it is unclear whether the diet is a safe and effective way to manage type 2 diabetes in the long term.
Weight loss from a low-carb diet may be because of a reduced intake of calories overall and not specifically as a result of eating less carbohydrate. There is also not enough evidence to support the use of low-carb diets in people with type 1 diabetes.
Douglas Twenefour, Diabetes UK clinical adviser, says: “When considering a low-carbohydrate diet as an option, people with diabetes should be made aware of possible side effects such as the risk of hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar). We also advise that people with diabetes discuss the amount of carbohydrate to be restricted with their healthcare team.
“The best way to manage diabetes is by taking prescribed medications and by maintaining a healthy lifestyle that includes plenty of physical activity and a balanced diet that is low in saturated fat, salt and sugar and rich in fruit and vegetables, without completely cutting out any particular food groups.”

My mother followed these guidelines and her diabetes remained well controlled for fourteen years.

coldethyl

Re: some facts about diabetes and carbohydrates
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 03:14:57 PM »

I think the difference is that type one diabetics are taking insulin so can medicate to carb intake. Most type twos initially are diet and metformin controlled and only by manipulating carb intake can you achieve good control. It would be great to be able to eat the NHS eat well plate and have the recommended carb intake they advocate, but I actually ate fewer carbs prior to diagnosis than they recommend and still ended up type two. I can only speak from experience and that of the friends I've made on the diabetic forum, but it was only by drastically lowering my carbs that I lost weight and went to non diabetic blood sugar levels.

babyjane

Re: some facts about diabetes and carbohydrates
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 03:47:49 PM »

there's the difference then as mum was type 1, as was her father and her sister, autoimmune type I late onset diabetes.

I have an elderly friend who is type 2 and she has been advised to reduce her fat intake but still has bread and potatoes and a very occasional semi sweet biscuit or small piece of cake.  She is not overweight and neither was my mum or her family so perhaps that made a difference.

Well done getting your levels down coldethyl.  Did you see the recent TV documentary called 'Fixing Dad'.