Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: ***I've Got My HRT Back***  (Read 11244 times)

Taz2

Re: ***I've Got My HRT Back***
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2016, 08:40:53 AM »

It's just over two weeks now since restarting HRT after six months off it (this time) and although it kicked in really quickly as patches usually do I now find that the flushes/sweats are beginning to happen more often again. Not as drenching as they were,admittedly, but I'm surprised that they are not continuing to improve. I think I remember that before I had to stop (due to my new doc being worried that my blood pressure was increasing) I was finding the Estradot 50 not quite high enough. My then doc, I'm sure, was happy to put me onto the 75 strength and left me to think about it but I'm not sure this new one will be.

I wondered whether the gel would be better even though patches have always been enough in the past. Sometimes it does seem as if the Evorel patch wrinkles slightly.

On the plus side the skin on my legs and arms is much less dry and my sleep is better. My pelvic floor and bladder already feel much more comfy too. My Rosacea, though, seems to be worse which discounts my theory that it started because I had stopped HRT.  :) Anxiety is still the same but I've never found that HRT helps with that.

Interesting times!!

Taz x

Janice68

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2016, 09:23:27 AM »

I have to say you have a good awareness to things and your body Taz2.
I agree interesting times that's How I'm looking at things food for thought etc. Learning phase!!
I'm gladl to hear hrt is helping out on some things. Finding the balance I guess or maybe just early days?
Anyway the experience women will be along to help you but you appear savvy too!!
Janx

Taz2

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2016, 09:43:05 AM »

Thanks Jan - It's nine years since I started HRT so it's a case of trying to understand how it works while also balancing the getting older stuff.

Taz x

Janice68

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2016, 09:51:33 AM »

Thanks Jan - It's nine years since I started HRT so it's a case of trying to understand how it works while also balancing the getting older stuff.

Taz x

I totally agree with you with what you have said!! That's how we learn?  Balance and what works for us!!! Interesting too!!
Jan x

littleminnie

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2016, 12:00:12 PM »

Glad you and your friend have reunited Taz. I cut my everol conti patches down to half and after a few months the flushes came back at night but not during the day. Aches and pains came back. So trying 3/4 of a patch, okay so far.

Taz2

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2016, 12:01:30 PM »

Glad that you are doing ok littleminnie.

Taz x  :)

linz57

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2016, 01:47:20 PM »

I've read that as we reach 60 and over we should reduce our hrt to the lowest dose , but I take that to mean the lowest dose that suits each woman individually. Yes some ladies do fine on very low doses while others need to increase up to 75 or even 100 mg
I recently tried cutting my 50 patch to half then leaving it off. BAD mistake!! The aches and pains returned and I felt 90 . I am now back on the full patch and feel more human and able to move again. Hurrah!
It's all about finding that sweet spot isn't it? I hope you find yours Taz2 and I hope your doctor is understanding

Mary G

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2016, 02:13:34 PM »

Taz2, I think you already know what I am going to say and that is I would switch Oestrogel without any hesitation!

I never did get on with the patches, they didn't stick properly, left a horrid mark, an itchy rash and I never could anything like enough oestrogen out of them - I hardly noticed any difference with the 50mcg patch.

I think you could do very well on either 1 or 2 pumps of gel.

Long may your recovery continue!

Taz2

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2016, 04:25:12 PM »

Thanks Mary G. I have always got on really well with patches but the consultant did mention to me that, even though my ovaries were left in and were only releasing a tiny amount of hormone, research showed that within two years of a hysterectomy most women's ovaries failed. I take it that I am not now releasing even the tiny amount and maybe that's why I need a higher dose.

Taz x

linz57

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2016, 04:38:55 PM »

Does anyone know if there is an average age where ovaries fail completely in women who still have all their  parts inside?

Tempest

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2016, 04:59:18 PM »

Taz2, my ovaries kept on chugging away full force for a further 8 years after my hysterectomy. My Consultant was astonished! Of course, they are gone now.

Maybe the gel would suit you better as MaryG says? Oh, how I wish it could work for me! I'd be back on it like a shot (I'm hoping to achieve the transition off the blinkin' oral method at some point as soon as, but I need to get SOME stable level of hormones in for at least a while before I try the switch).

I know my Menopause Consultant (NHS and he's listed in the directory here on MM), favours the gel over patches as he says the patches usually cause some problems with consistent delivery. He's pretty knowledgeable about all the different types too. He says the Estradot, in his opinion, IS  the most consistent if a patch route is desired (smaller 'footprint', less chance of wrinkling, less skin irritation).

Taz2

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2016, 05:06:54 PM »

Thanks for that Tempest. I was on Estradot before but there was a shortage of supply here a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to start as soon as possible. I might ask for Estradot when I have to get my next supply in a couple of weeks time. I was only given one month by this locum doctor.

I used to attend the menopause clinic in Oxford but they were adamant that HRT over 60 was not a good idea so I transferred my care back to my (then) lovely GP who didn't see a problem with prescribing over 60 as long as overall health was good.

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2016, 05:59:36 PM »

As you may remember I kept my ovaries for about 10 years after my hysterectomy, until they too were removed.  Originally on premarin, then oestrogel, then Estradot. Estradot worked better for me, but like you, problems obtaining it & was changed to Evorel. I gave up on my meno clinic as they kept cancelling my appointment. GP happy to keep me on HRT, saying life quality is more important! Wise man! :)

Tempest

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2016, 06:41:06 PM »

Another surgical lady! Hello, cubagirl! :)

Can I please borrow your GP? A wise man indeed!

Dandelion

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2016, 01:32:49 AM »

great news, no doctor should take a woman off hrt and inflict suffering on her that causes harm. I thought their motto was 'do no harm' AND it's your body, your choice, I'd rather die of a heart attack early and be happier than live till 70 and be unhappy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4