Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your earliest memory?  (Read 7397 times)

Ju Ju

Your earliest memory?
« on: July 16, 2016, 08:28:07 AM »

I was discussing this with my parents and they say I must have been about 18 months old when I described this memory.

I was standing in my cot as my grandparents came in to see me. My grandma held up my dressing gown singing 'dancy diddly dancy', while I pretended to pour water over the side of the cot. Apparently I was recovering from measles and had been quite ill. My grandparents rarely visited because of distance and poor transport available. No cars available in those days!

babyjane

Re: Your earliest memory?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »

Do you mind if I don't contribute to this thread as my psychotherapy involves a lot of early memories that I am still processing and it is not always a positive picture.  I will enjoy reading other people's memories though  :)

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 09:13:04 AM »

:bighug:

Maybe eventually, like me, you will be able to filter out some good memories. I felt loved by my grandparents, so those memories of them are jewels.

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 09:17:35 AM »

I remember being pushed up the road in my pram, in direction of home, by babysitter  was trying to get me to go to sleep. It was dark out too.  Must have been about 18 months or so. I used to wear the poor woman down, so I'm told, but she loved looking after my brother & I. My brother would be in bed long before me & he's 10 years  older!  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 09:21:16 AM »

I don't have any …….. most are pushed back into the depths ……….

Interesting thread.  Sometimes I don't know what is 'real' memory and what I remember because I was told so often or by looking at photos.

walking the dog

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 09:46:44 AM »

I remember the flat we lived in and the tortoise toby I was about two , but my husband swears he can recall been born !

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 11:16:08 AM »

It was my 2nd birthday. I was with my grandparents not my parents because my mum was in hospital with my brother who was 4 days old. The postman arrived with a parcel for me and i opened it. It was a little woven basket.

Suzi Q

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 12:55:38 PM »

Going to pre prep school at 3 with a Banana
Even though itvwas a private school know one had seen a banana
I was made to stand with my face against the wall for showing off. At 3!

Dorothy

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 01:08:59 PM »

I had a vague memory of a man with fluffy white hair singing to me.  My parents could never work out who he was, until the day someone sent them a tape of my grandfather preaching a message (he was a nonconformist minister) and I went into the room while they were listening to it and said 'that's the man who used to sing to me'.  They were absolutely staggered as he died when I was about a year old, so they'd always assumed I would have no memory of him.  It made a real impact on me, because I think we probably all have memories from this age, but don't realise we do - because unless someone dies when you are tiny, you don't know if your memory of them is from 1 year old, 2 year old or 3 year old.

dulciana

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 02:22:30 PM »

My twin sister and I were about three and were staying with our grandparents.  They lived in a big, old house that came with our grandpa's work as a company secretary - it had a large front lawn, a pretty rose garden and a rather exciting vegetable garden   ::).  Granny had asked us to go into their veg. garden one day, pick lots of peas, put them in the collander and bring them in for her to cook.   Oooh, those little green pods were enticing!  I can remember wearing our winter coats, squatting down on our haunches, popping the pods open.........and instead of depositing the contents into the collander like the good little children we were(!), feeding our faces with them!  And they were the most delicious peas I think I've ever eaten, without a doubt because we weren't supposed to!   ;D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 02:25:41 PM by dulciana »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 02:27:33 PM »

Oh that's jogged a memory of between the age of 3 and 5 - Dad grew long rows of fresh peas and my friend and I hid amongst the rows, eating as many as we could.  I remember hearing Mum calling us but se didn't respond.  She told me years later than she was so worried that we had been snatched - this was in the 1960s with about 2 cars along the road every day  ::)

Two hoots

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 04:17:23 PM »

When I was three I had mumps and I saw fairies dancing around my sisters cot  ;D funny I can still remember seeing them but my mum says it was because I had such a high temperature I was hallucinating  :madeyes:

Dorothy

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 07:09:43 PM »

Oh that's jogged a memory of between the age of 3 and 5 - Dad grew long rows of fresh peas and my friend and I hid amongst the rows, eating as many as we could.  I remember hearing Mum calling us but se didn't respond.  She told me years later than she was so worried that we had been snatched - this was in the 1960s with about 2 cars along the road every day  ::)

I had a thing for unripe gooseberries and blackcurrants (still green ones)  My parents could never work out why the bushes furthest from the house cropped so badly  ;D

getting_old

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 08:28:48 PM »

The earliest memory I have is being out for a walk with my Dad on a Sunday morning and begging to go further so we didn't go home because my mother always started a big argument on a Sunday afternoon. I spent the whole walk back begging him to leave her. I think I was about 4.

ariadne

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 09:46:25 PM »

I remember my brother being born. I was only two. He was born at home in the front room and I wanted to go in to my Mum but wasnt allowed so I sat outside the door upset. When he was born, I was allowed to go in and give him a pair of bootees but I wouldnt hand them over and sat in the fireplace holding them. He was born on the "put u up" settee- do you remember those,  ladies?  Fabulous contraption that could be made into all sorts of playthings for us kids.

Ariadne xx
Pages: [1] 2