Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: orthodontics in later life  (Read 8933 times)

babyjane

orthodontics in later life
« on: July 15, 2016, 09:48:05 AM »

Has anyone else consulted an orthodontist at this stage of life?  I have been advised by the dentist and the hygienist to see the orthodontist with a possible view to having my misaligned teeth and bad bite corrected for practical reasons, not cosmetic. The malocclusion has worsened over the last few years to the point where it affects my ability to eat certain foods.

I would certainly appreciate any input, positive or negative before I consider this step as it is not available on the NHS.

dahliagirl

Re: orthodontics in later life
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 10:27:41 AM »

I know someone who moved to the US and they wanted to do this.

I think it probably involves wearing some sort of retainer at night indefinitely.

However, our teeth move forwards throughout our life so something that was not a problem may become one as time goes on.

I would say it is worth seeing someone and finding out what it involves and what the options are.

I remember a few older relatives (most of them did not have their own teeth, so in fact it is probably only the one  ::)) having wonky teeth that became very strangely arranged and must have been quite a problem to keep clean.

Milamam

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 11:03:30 AM »

A friend of mine had retainers fixed at age 45 something and worked so well for her, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

Milamam

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 01:18:16 PM »

Thank you ladies. Sparky my teeth are uncomfortable anyway as the biting surfaces are misaligned and there are certain things I cannot eat and other things I can only eat on one side. A couple of my premolars are so out of line that I think if they are not straightened they will have to eventually come out.

I have an appointment for an assessment in 2 weeks time.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 01:20:50 PM »

Assessment means you can then decide?  I have had implants in recent years due to gaps.  But although offered re-alignment about 15 years ago I declined.  Couldn't be seen with a brace at my time of Life!

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 01:25:55 PM »

a brace wouldn't bother me but the cost might  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 01:27:17 PM »

I don't look at my teeth except twice a day so it my crooked gob upsets others, that's not my problem  ;)  ::)

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 01:32:29 PM »

it isn't the cosmetic side of it that bothers me CLKD but the malocclusion affects my eating, especially on the LH side and, as I have said, the worst misaligned teeth may eventually have to be taken out.  If I can preserve my natural teeth I would like to.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 05:17:46 PM »

If it's not cosmetic then surely it's available on NHS, if you can't eat properly?!

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 05:51:12 PM »

My thoughts too ……… my implants are 'cosmetic'

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 06:21:07 PM »

unfortunately not because I can eat on the opposite side although not chewy things or hard things. NHS not bothered if I end up with a denture which is cheaper for them than orthodontics.  Orthodontics only on NHS for under 18s.  It was the same when our daughter needed them and it's the same now for our granddaughter.

dulciana

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 07:01:18 PM »

babyjane, I had this done on my lower teeth when I was 36 (not exactly our time of life but still in adulthood), to correct a malocclusion. It was pretty uncomfortable and was a very long two years - one year with fixed appliances, the second with the removable sort.  But it was definitely worth it and has solved the problem.   :)

Justjules

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 07:40:38 PM »

Interesting post, as I didn't realise teeth became misaligned as we age. I've noticed for a while now that my top jaw has come more to the front and it's making me look slightly buck toothed! I also notice that if I try to bite a piece of cotton off something, I can't as easily get my top and bottom teeth together at the front as before. I have had crowns on my top front teeth for years and now a gap has appeared which is why I had them crowned in the first place!!! Grrrrr......

babyjane

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 08:27:02 AM »

thank you for your contribution Dulciana.  Do you wear a retainer now?

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 09:27:46 AM »

As we age the gums recede = gaps so that the tooth may loosen.
Pages: [1] 2 3