Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: 47 & perimenopause  (Read 2866 times)

Sassy69

47 & perimenopause
« on: June 08, 2016, 12:10:28 PM »

Hi everyone,

Thank god this forum exists.  :)  I'm 47 and have missed two periods - not pregnant as already done 5 tests - yes I was a bit paranoid and have done them over the course since my last period in mid April.  I have been getting headaches on and off, hot flushes and mild period pain around due dates but no bleed.  Feeling a bit teary on and off but nothing too major to be fair.  If I think back over the past ten years I have had night sweats and hot flushes although periods have been very regular albeit very heavy at times to the point of flooding on occasions.  Since Xmas I have had 3 light periods and my last one in April was light then disappeared for a day then whoosh, big flood followed by a week of spotting.  Since then, zilch.  Saw a doctor a month ago who says if you go past 60 days without a period it means you are in late transition stage.  Does any of this ring any bells with anyone in similar position?  I will expect I may get another period at some point in the coming months but who knows?  ::)  I know if you go a full 12 months with no bleed you are clear.  If that is the case...two done and ten to go.  ;D  I'm embracing the whole change it brings.

Annie McCarthy

Re: 47 & perimenopause
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 06:36:16 PM »

Hi Sassy69
Can't help with your particular question as I have a different set of issues, but just
thought I'd say 'hi' as I'm also a newbie and am really pleased to have found the forum. Embrace the change as you say!  :)
A x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 08:02:34 PM »

Hi Sassy69

:welcomemm:

The menopausal transition is characterised by well-defined stages which you can read about here and which your doc obviously knows about :) - some of it is a bit technical - but I don't think it can predict exactly the course of events for an individual woman so your doctor cannot really say whether you will get periods, how often and how many.

http://www.imsociety.org/downloads/email_downloads/2012_02_16_1773491/straw10.pdf

According to the table at the top of page 5 the late peri-menopause can last between 1 and 3 years - so don't get too excited - you may well have another 2 years and 10 months to go! However as you say .... who knows?!

If you do have your last period and then 12 months finished, before you are at the average age of menopause of 51-52 then HRT is advisable to help protect bones and heart.

Great that you are embracing the changes in your body - but that does not mean putting up with unpleasant symptoms if they threaten quality of life and your general health! So do monitor what's happening to you and don't be afraid to take action to remedy this if necessary :)

Hurdity x

Sassy69

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 09:27:19 AM »

Thanks for info and advice both.  I look at this stage as perfectly natural and although some of the symptoms are very real I think its also got alot to do with how you mentally prepare yourself for it too.  A positive state of mind does help to get you through it.  I tend to laugh about it as much as possible as this does help.  :)  We are all different and I appreciate its not always so easy for some.  All women together to support eachother no matter what.  Men are lucky they don't have to go through it too.....can you imagine if they did  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 01:04:43 PM »

Gone  :-\

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 04:58:24 PM »

oh, what happened?  she posted this morning?