Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Why people end up in A&E!  (Read 3779 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Why people end up in A&E!
« on: June 02, 2016, 02:42:06 PM »

Himself injured a finger 5 weeks ago.  Intermittent swelling and stiffness in the joint.  He has realised that he sleeps on that particular hand so we visited a few Chemists today to ask about splinting etc..  Although on the Companies web-sites they sell different finger guards/splints, not one store has them on the premises.  They can order '1 for tomorrow' - well he can do that!

No wonder people end up in A&E or buy on-line  :bang: :bang: :bang: ……….. I think Himself would get quicker treatment at our Vets.  ::)

Kathleen

Re: Why people end up in A&E!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 03:07:57 PM »

Hello CLKD.

Actually I think ordering an item and having it available for the next day is good service. Stockroom space is limited ( as is the knowledge and expertise of the staff come to think of it).

I'm sure you would have instructed  your husband to go to A and E or a minor injuries unit 5 weeks ago if it was necessary so probably a splint from the Chemist is all that's needed!

K.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 04:15:31 PM »

It is.  But the web-site tells us that the item is 'in stock' in the store  ::).  It also means that we would have to make a 15 mile round trip to get a splint, Himself is at this moment making one!

SadLynda

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 10:50:31 AM »

Agree about the vet.  Took my dog yesterday she has been ill for weeks, 24 later she is back to her normal self with just some powders and AB's, friend of mine said she thinks we should all go there instead, Okay it did cost me £40 but was well worth it for such a fast and impressive recovery.

Hope his finger recovers soon.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 05:40:21 PM »

It's going to be a long haul with the finger  ::).  He made his own splint but put it on too tight, then his finger tip went blue  :o  :D.  He'll live ……...

Ms Saucy

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 05:52:13 PM »

Hi there.
Hospitals usually would neighbour strap finger injuries......just taping the injured and next one together, pain relief and wait......hope it helps.
Ms S xx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 12:29:48 PM »

:D  told him that after he had done it  ::) - today he decided to take my advice after prompting from our friend who is a pharmacist  ::)

Lizab

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 03:02:41 PM »

Completely agree about the vet! When I was suffering anemia frim prolonged bleeding, the gyne didn't want to see me for weeks, then wanted to make separate appointments for every little test. I said then that I wanted to see the vet or the pediatrician.

dangermouse

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 06:21:13 PM »

We've all had the vet thought haven't we!

I was looking after my a sickly cat when I was suffering from undiagnosed hormonal hell and both of us were medically dehydrated. I took him to the vet for a drip and got him sorted within the hour, knowing that for me it would be another whole day in A&E.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 07:11:56 PM »

Could you not ask the Vet. to attach you to a drip, after all  :cat48: needs company  ;)

dangermouse

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 07:45:21 PM »

I was tempted. The oxygen chamber looked inviting too!  :P

coldethyl

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 08:39:02 PM »

As former dairy farmers, we used to have fortnightly routine vets' visits for fertility and preventative stuff and it was great as you built up an amazing relationship with them. My vet trained as a homeopath too and when I had a cough for 17 weeks he was the only one interested enough to make me a preparation that seemed to do the trick. My own GP just said she'd had it 12 weeks and had no idea what it was.
One of the other vets at practice took herself to a and e after a dog bit her as she was sure she had a broken arm. They refused to X-ray her saying was just bruised so she got colleague to do one at work, then took the X-ray, clearly showing a break , back to the lot at a and e. You gets what you pay for and as much as I loathe private practice, the thought of not getting paid is a great motivator for adequate service.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 10:11:50 PM »

It annoys me when professionals won't listen/believe other professionals  >:(