Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: freedom of speech  (Read 6046 times)

babyjane

freedom of speech
« on: May 31, 2016, 10:17:06 AM »

how far does this go?  does it mean we should be free to say/write/post whatever we want regardless of the feelings of others or is there a place for tact and diplomacy and respect for others feelings.

What exactly do we mean by freedom of speech?

Just had a run in with a relative about this and wondered what others think?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: freedom of speech
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 12:21:21 PM »

'freedom of speech' does not IMO include abuse of anyone.  Wars have been fought to enable people to speak freely about issues which in some Countries they would be imprisoned for or shot: issues about the Government; lack of food, medicines, fresh water …………

But to use 'freedom of speech' to abuse people is abuse of what people went for War for.

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 02:12:43 PM »

well according to my relative freedom of speech means he can say whatever he wants regardless of how it makes others feel but if I use my right to FOS and challenge him on it then I am the one in the wrong for 'censoring' his right to FOS.  >:(  Still looking for the logic in that one  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 02:20:22 PM »

Let me know when you find a logical male  ::)

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 02:45:47 PM »

DH is logical and reasonable, which is extremely frustrating when you want to have an illogical and unreasonable ran The! ;D you can't please everyone!  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 03:24:38 PM »

Mine is the same - walks away rather than argue and when I needed him to make phone calls to a friend recently, he was quite able to put it off  >:(.  But I stood my ground and eventually he sent friend a text  :-X

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 04:24:44 PM »

I am married to the king of procrastination but strangely he is quite logical and rational.

I believe in freedom of speech but I also believe in respect, tact and diplomacy and I expect to be treated to the same courtesy  :)

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 04:51:58 PM »

Freedom of speech does not mean you should say whatever you like, regardless of other people. It means we can stand up for our rights and protest peacefully and with respect without fear of prosecution and imprisonment or worse. In life generally, treat others like you should be treating yourself.......with respect and kindness. You do not have to agree with others. Nor do you have to be in the right or have the last word.

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 06:05:39 PM »

hmmm, exactly what I thought this morning Ju Ju.  shame this adult can't be more grown up  >:(

:thankyou: everyone for your thoughts.

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 12:05:28 AM »

Don't take it personally. Whatever this relative said was about them, not you.

My BIL has always been hostile, rude and disrespectful. I used to take it, thinking there was something wrong with me perhaps...low self esteem. Now I realise it was never about me. He's missed having a friendship with me and the children and damaged his relationship with DH. His loss.

Dulciana

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 07:13:15 AM »

.......And "Before you speak, ask yourself if what you are going to say is true, is kind, is necessary, is helpful. If the answer is no, maybe what you are about to say should be left unsaid." (Bernard Meltzer)
Freedom of speech doesn't mean, just hit below the belt every time we open our mouths, does it?  :)

babyjane

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 09:02:04 AM »

Don't take it personally. Whatever this relative said was about them, not you.

:thankyou:

.......And "Before you speak, ask yourself if what you are going to say is true, is kind, is necessary, is helpful. If the answer is no, maybe what you are about to say should be left unsaid." (Bernard Meltzer)

:thankyou:

Yes, the problem is his but I made it mine.

Thank you everyone  :hug:

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 10:49:53 AM »

My Jack Russell always had the last word, she would lift a lip in a silent snarl  ;D

Dulciana

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 10:57:15 AM »

Lovely!  ;D