Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Career change during menopause  (Read 4942 times)

Kristy

Career change during menopause
« on: June 01, 2016, 12:50:11 PM »

Hello ladies,
I was wondering if any of you have changed jobs during the menopause phase and how did you cope with learning new skills and adjusting to a new work environment?

I have worked in the IT section of a government department for many years but over the last few years there have been restructures and changes to the way we do our work. The work has become constantly challenging with ever increasing demands and almost no control. We are told from those higher up including the CEO, that we have to work harder and faster to deliver results. I am starting to believe that a fast paced IT environment is no place for a middle aged peri woman. :(

I have been in peri for the last 4 years which in itself has caused my anxiety levels to increase but coupled with a demanding job they have skyrocketed  and there have been times were I have barely been able to hold it together without having to run to the toilet for a cry.
I have been very fortunate to have a good female team leader (also going through meno) who has been there for me if ever I needed to talk.

Due to further changes at work, the department is now offering the chance of voluntary redundancies which I have expressed an interest in and am waiting to hear the outcome.
I realise that starting all over again job wise will be a challenge in itself, however, I am thinking of other work options that might suit me plus the thought of remaining where I am is even scarier.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and changed jobs? How did you cope with things like anxiety, difficulties with concentration, brain fog and the general cognitive problems that the meno can bring?

dazned

Re: Career change during menopause
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 01:53:42 PM »

I changed from an airport job I'd been in for 18 years about 4 years ago aged 52 to work as a manager in a local charity shop ,best move I ever made. The were challenges but it also felt like a breath of fresh air,and also felt good to be helping our local hospice function rather than lining some fat cats pocket.  ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 02:33:35 PM »

Jot down what skills you have earned over the years.  Look in your local paper/Job Centre and see if any of those fit with the current market.

Do you have hobbies that you could enlarge upon?  Skills to share?   Taking the redundancy will give you breathing space, your Company should be giving free advice on 'retirement' too!

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 04:44:55 PM »

In this present financial climate, many companies and institutions have had to downsize, but the work still has to be done. So the expectations are that the existing staff do it, despite the effects of work overload.....stress, health and so on. They do not look after their most precious asset, people. I have several friends who have found themselves in your situation, who eventually left. One good friend has done that recently having found a suitable job, where incidentally she receives better pay and the work conditions are far better and happier colleagues. She confided that she wished she had taken this step years back and life was good. Obviously you have to find another job to pay the bills, but think laterally. What skills do you have? What do you enjoy doing? See this as an opportunity. If you see something you fancy, but feel you may not be qualified, apply anyway! Let them decide whether you fit their requirements. I've done this and got the job!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 05:29:47 PM »

Also if you have some skills, Companies may well be tempted to send you on training courses.  Also, don't over-look the Voluntary Sector.

Ms Saucy

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 06:37:53 PM »

Hello there.
I am a single woman with two teenagers... My eldest and third passed away 18 months ago.
I took retirement from the NHS last year; worked in safeguarding children ( those in care).....now matron in a high school.

Totally the right decision to make for me, term time only and so much easier.....go with what you need honey and live life/ dreams.
Ms Saucy x

Sunnydays

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 08:22:36 PM »

A change can be as good as a rest!
I changed job (but not career) and when I look back it  must have seemed mad - meno, very ill mum, nightmare children, but I'm glad I did change!
Good luck x

kpatton56

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 09:31:20 PM »

I took on a management role while battling menopause symptoms. After a year things were stabilising menopause wise and I decided to try and stop my hrt. Bad idea! It has taken a year to get back to where I was. The biggest struggle has been with loss of confidence and anxiety. Despite this I am very glad I grasped the opportunity and love my job. I am involved with an innovative team and it is satisfying to feel that at this age (59) I am making a difference and helping to create employment opportunities. It's something I never would have thought I could do!
Go for it Kristy!! I write everything down. Keeping good notes guards against the brain fog days and keeps me focussed. 😀

Kristy

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 03:43:35 AM »

I took on a management role while battling menopause symptoms. After a year things were stabilising menopause wise and I decided to try and stop my hrt. Bad idea! It has taken a year to get back to where I was. The biggest struggle has been with loss of confidence and anxiety. Despite this I am very glad I grasped the opportunity and love my job. I am involved with an innovative team and it is satisfying to feel that at this age (59) I am making a difference and helping to create employment opportunities. It's something I never would have thought I could do!
Go for it Kristy!! I write everything down. Keeping good notes guards against the brain fog days and keeps me focussed. 😀

Thank you ladies for your support and suggestions.

I am not currently on HRT and have tried to manage without it up to now (4 years) but I am now thinking of giving it a try mainly so that I can function at my best in the workplace.
My main problem is anxiety and feeling overwhelmed when the pressure is on, to the point where I just want to cry and quickly have to go outside or to the toilet when this teariness hits. As a result of the stress I feel, I then notice that my cognitive abilities slow down, I can't think straight, my brain feels frazzled and I have to take my time doing things, especially where there is a level of complexity involved. On a couple of occasions, I have cried in front of my team leader privately and she has been very understanding as she is going through meno too.

Fortunately so far, the quality of my work has not been affected, but I do worry that I will start to make obvious mistakes because I can't think straight and my brain feels like mush. The hot flushes are a nuisance but I can handle them by having a fan on my desk. But damn it , I hate that feeling of not coping when the pressure is on and trying to keep the emotions under control  :'(.

Katie, as you suggest, I am already writing things down as I go, my computer screen has lots of electronic post it notes on it, plus a large notepad on my desk! You are a brave lady taking on a management role and I am pleased that despite the challenges, you are finding the role fulfilling  :).

KatieB

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 07:46:12 AM »

I changed my job 2 years ago. I had worked so hard in my previous job and was put in a position of having to reapply for my pay banding due to a restructure. I felt upset, anxious and under valued. No matter what the outcome of the interviews staff were going to be placed in other jobs, you would not be able to go back to your own post, absolutely crazy.

At that time my father was in hospital and was very poorly, I was supporting my mum and dealing with peri symptoms. However, I would not let others decide where my future career path lay and applied for a position in a completely different area of work and got it.  Within 6 weeks I left a job I loved and started a new one. Anxiety, worry, stress and a lack of self belief followed but I stuck at it and I can say with all honesty, it was the best move I ever made.

I had a great support network from family and friends which was crucial to me. I managed my anxiety and negative feelings by not bottling things up and by realizing I'm not superwoman and a new job takes time to learn.

Go for it, make new friends, learn new skills and enjoy the change.  :)

kpatton56

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 12:34:07 PM »

Great encouragement KatieB! Thanks for sharing!
Kirsty I don't feel very brave at all a lot of the time! 😀