Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: More than 100 mcgs oestrogen?  (Read 4348 times)

Frankie41

More than 100 mcgs oestrogen?
« on: May 31, 2016, 06:40:13 AM »

Hi there

Is anyone using more than a 100 mcg oestrogen patch to manage (peri)/menopausal depression and/or other symptoms?

I am currently on a 100 mcg (X1) weekly patch but understand that some people use up to 200 mcg patches (twice a week I think) to yield oestrogen levels of between 500 and 800 pmol (the range Prof Studd believes is therapeutic for a certain group of women with hormone-responsive mood disorders).   

I would very much appreciate anyone sharing their experience of increasing to a high (100 mcg+) level of transdermal oestrogen - how quickly did you do this, what were the side effects and how much progesterone do you need to oppose this level?

Many thanks in advance,

Frankie41

Grumpymum

Re: More than 100 mcgs oestrogen?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 12:44:30 PM »

Hi, I'm interested in replies you get to this question too. My gp says I can't go higher than 75 patch. She just seems to rely on increasing my anti depressants to try and help (not working so far).

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 12:48:59 PM »

Yes me too! I'm interested in the replies too!

I think Briony has tried 100mg patches before, but not seen her online recently.

My GP would also happily increase my AD's.  I'm currently on 50mg after switching from 1 pump oestrogel and am still getting hot flushes so I suspect, I too need something stronger.

Winterose

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 04:13:14 PM »

I have a 100mg patch which my doctor was more than happy to give me.  Ihad been on 75 for several years but it never really got rid of the hot flushes especially at night which disturbed sleep.  I am 59 and been on patches for 9 years ( ish) . I didnt go immediately on full patch but cut it down and have then worked my way up.  Feel so much better on the 100 and wish Id had it before, sleep well so suppose thats why .  Occasionally still have palpitations and fluttery heart feelings . The trick was moving up gradually - over about 6 months, she looked at my internal bits and said they looked very healthy as Id asked about vagifem in case it wasnt so good down there.  The skin wasnt thin or dry so happy to hear that.

Dandelion

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 09:51:44 PM »

Yes me too! I'm interested in the replies too!

I think Briony has tried 100mg patches before, but not seen her online recently.

My GP would also happily increase my AD's.  I'm currently on 50mg after switching from 1 pump oestrogel and am still getting hot flushes so I suspect, I too need something stronger.
1 pumps a low dose
maybe more oestrogen better for you than increasing ad's

Dandelion

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 09:54:39 PM »

I have a 100mg patch which my doctor was more than happy to give me.  Ihad been on 75 for several years but it never really got rid of the hot flushes especially at night which disturbed sleep.  I am 59 and been on patches for 9 years ( ish) . I didnt go immediately on full patch but cut it down and have then worked my way up.  Feel so much better on the 100 and wish Id had it before, sleep well so suppose thats why .  Occasionally still have palpitations and fluttery heart feelings . The trick was moving up gradually - over about 6 months, she looked at my internal bits and said they looked very healthy as Id asked about vagifem in case it wasnt so good down there.  The skin wasnt thin or dry so happy to hear that.
Me to re vag area, we are lucky.
Its suprising how we suffer in silence
I took 2mg femoston for a year and it didnt do a thing, and it was awful, but cos the doctor was a bit ratty it put me off. I got a couple of crap attitude docs and one who refused to read Dr Curries email saying it was ok for me to use a patch, despite migraines the AD's i was on were giving me, but finally one doc started me on 50mcg, after 3mths, slight improvement, so upto 75mg, a bit better but life still not worth the hassle of living so i went upto 100mcg and much better. Some of us do need a lot, maybe our meds deplete it or soemthing

Briony

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 10:18:11 AM »

Hi

I tried 100mcg patches, which initially felt great, but I soon felt dreadful and wasnt sure if it was too much or too little. I was very keen to try 200mcg as Studd recommends, but also too scared. Doctor did a blood test and even with the 100mcg patches, my estrogen was only 128pmol. It seems that I am one of a small minority who cant absorb them well and respond better to pills . I am now back on a very low dose birth control pill aimed at people in peri menopause and although not perfect, it is massively better than the 100mcg patches.

Frankie41

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 12:48:08 AM »

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for your responses.    Just thought I would post an 'update' - after seeing my endo last week, she has agreed to me trialling 150 mcg (climara) patch.  Relevant background info that I didn't mention before, is that I am also on Lupron injections to suppress my own ovulatory cycle as it appeared I had strong progesterone intolerance during the luteal phase and I also found taking 100-200mcg Utrogestan for the first week of the month very problematic. 

Initially, the lupron injections were great - but after 6 or so weeks I began to experience a resurgence of symptoms.  This is likely due to one or both of:  intolerance to the accumulated effects of progesterone (on lupron, you take a daily 2.5-5 mg dose) OR not enough estrogen.    I am experimenting with the latter at the moment, by increasing the estrogen and will see how that goes.  Although 150 mcg sounds a lot, I guess it has to be remembered I'm not producing any of my own (due to the suppressing effects of lupron). 

Briony, I wonder if the birth control pill you are on is designed to do something similar to the lupron - i.e. temper the effects of progesterone in your cycle?   I would be interested to hear which one you are on. 

Thanks again for sharing people - it's really helpful while I walk through this peri-menopausal minefield!

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 11:27:18 AM »

Hi
I think from memory, Briony may be on Qlaria as I have been interested in that one myself.

However not sure how it works.

Briony

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 02:23:51 PM »

Mis71Mum is right, I am on Qlaira.

Please feel free to ask anything I can help you with (or PM me if you prefer). I took Qlaira from Feb to October last year then returned on it again earlier this year after no success with high dose patches.

It's a contraceptive pill (so free) but has bio identical estrogen, which is less potent than the regular birth control pills. It is designed to mimic your own cycle more than other pills do, with only two days with no estrogen rather than the usual seven. There are more days without progesterone too, which suits me; then it steps up gradually.

This thread I wrote ages ago might help:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=29562.0

The only advice I can give you, if you want to take it, is a) be prepared for doctor to either not know of it or else try to persuade you against it (it's is the most expensive pill on the market!) - my local Family Planning Clinic were the first to mention it to me; b) be prepared to give it a chance. With hormones so out of control, as ours are, you wont get immediate results and you may get initial side effects (which later go). You need to think in terms of waiting months rather than weeks. My view is that Qlaira takes longer to settle and 'take control' of your hormones as it's so mild, if that makes sense?

Briony

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 02:25:10 PM »

PS I also have some Estrogel and 'top up' on days when I can sense my estrogen is still a bit low.