Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hello, I'm new!  (Read 4561 times)

Amazon66

Hello, I'm new!
« on: May 23, 2016, 03:29:13 PM »

Hi, I'm 50 and struggling!  I work full time as a scientist in a hospital so life is pretty stressful as it is without all the perimenopausal symptoms adding to the fun :(

I've been using oestrogel for six months and have a Mirena for the progesterone element of HRT, this has sorted my daytime hot flushes but not my nightsweats.  I initially had the Mirena for contraceptive use aged 48 so I've no idea what my periods would be doing if I didn't have it, I still have occasional spotting. For me anxiety is the biggest issue I'm currently struggling with, it can be overwhelming and I don't really know what to do to tackle it. I hope to pick up some tips and share information with other ladies dealing with this.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello, I'm new!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 03:37:52 PM »

:welcomemm:  even if the anxiety is hormonally linked there are things to help.  Yoga.  Brisk walking.  Swimming.  Some ADs ease anxiety symptoms though this is not the route that GPs have been advised to go down initially.  However, if ADs ease anxiety or maybe using Vallium or similar 'as necessary', will be enough.

Has your GP discussed vaginal atrophy too?   ;)

Browse round, make notes!

Amazon66

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 03:47:24 PM »

For VA symptoms I've tried Replens and it has helped, but the weird discharge it produces is difficult to put up with. I know I need to go back to the GP but it's a struggle to find time at the moment.

I know I need to bite the bullet and make time to sort this out - ironically the more I struggle with anxiety the less I seem to want to go to the doctors!

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 03:50:58 PM »

Why - that's why GPs are there  ::).  It's like when I was sterilised, friends asked how I could 'let' people I worked with see my naked body: well it was then and still is, the best body they will see all year  ;D.  My boss wandered by and muttered, 'was that ???? laying there?' ……..

VA really needs oestrogen to replace what the body no longer makes.  As levels drop off apparently bits dry up  >:(  ::) i.e. nostrils, deep in the ears, eyes, vagina ……. the initial load is 2 weeks of nightly use followed by a couple of times a week …. I have to write down the intermittent use or I forget when to use the next time  ::).  We have a thread about 'doing stupid things' and 'memory' loss too …….

Remember, what goes up has to come down ;-).  So any 'discharge' is normal, add the product to any usual moisture there and hey presto, panty liners required  :D

Amazon66

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 03:57:09 PM »

Thanks - I know I just need to get myself back there.  I've got a day off on Friday so I'll see if I can get an appointment (sometimes a challenge in itself  ::) )

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 03:59:24 PM »

wish my nostrils would dry up - drip drip drip day and night  :(

sorry Amazon, how rude of me  :welcomemm:

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 04:00:00 PM »

Yep.  Ladies find that getting to their GP can be difficult.  Is there a Practice Nurse at your Surgery, might be the quickest route.

Oh BJ …….. >hands over Kleenex <

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 05:55:30 PM »

Hello Amazon66 and welcome to the forum.

Back in the day my GP confirmed that anxiety can be the biggest problem that some of us face at this time. The fact that it's a normal part of the menopause is small comfort I find! 

HRT would replace some of the falling hormones but getting the dose right can take time so patience is needed.

There is wealth of knowledge on this site so you will be supported on your journey!

Take care and keep posting.

K.

Mary G

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 07:09:01 PM »

Amazon66, welcome to MM.

How many pumps of gel are you on?  You should not be having night sweats if you are taking the right amount so I wonder if you need to up your dose?  This might also explain why the oestrogen is not dealing with your anxiety. 

Although in theory the Mirena coil is supposed to concentrate most of the progesterone in the womb, a fair amount gets into your system which will oppress the oestrogen so you might need more to counter that.  I have had two Mirena coils and once I was menopausal, enough of the synthetic progesterone in the coil got into my overall system to trigger migraines. 

Amazon66

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 10:03:57 AM »

Thank you all for your replies.

Mary G - I'm currently using the minimum dose of 2 pumps per day. I do wonder if this is enough, especially since I'm 6ft tall and therefore in no way 'average'.

Does anyone use anything other than Replens to deal with the uncomfortable vaginal/vulval issues? I get this on prescription currently but the horrible clumpy discharge is not nice :( I've tried using IT less often than suggested but it hasn't made any difference. Having read reviews of the product, this problem seems fairly common.

Jenna

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 10:59:57 AM »

Hi Amazon66 - I use 'Yes' water-based (also available on prescription). It's just a clear gel and has natural ingredients.

Mary G

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 05:26:03 PM »

Amazon66, because you have a Mirena coil that pumps out progesterone constantly, you probably need to up it to 3 pumps everyday. If you were taking progesterone cyclically, 2 pumps would probably be enough but I think you need a bit more to counter the systemic flow of progesterone. 

Amazon66

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 05:50:33 PM »

Hi Amazon66 - I use 'Yes' water-based (also available on prescription). It's just a clear gel and has natural ingredients.

I'll have a look at that, thanks

Amazon66

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 05:52:54 PM »

Amazon66, because you have a Mirena coil that pumps out progesterone constantly, you probably need to up it to 3 pumps everyday. If you were taking progesterone cyclically, 2 pumps would probably be enough but I think you need a bit more to counter the systemic flow of progesterone.

That makes sense, I'll ask my GP if she thinks I should use more

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 06:31:16 PM »

Hi Amazon66

:welcomemm: from me too!

Why not start a local oestrogen ie Vagifem or Estriol cream? Many women  (including myself) need local oestrogen as well as systemic in order to keep the dreaded VA at bay and to things moist down there.

If you still have occasional spotting, that indicates that you may well still be having periods if it wasn't for the Mirena in which case your oestrogen levels may not have dropped too low yet - but as you are still getting night sweats an increase might be worth trying as Mary G says. After all this is the minimum most women want from HRT - elimination of flushes and sweats - at least in the first instance!  Do you feel you tolerate the Mirena well - or did you notice any adverse symptoms developing and remaining, soon after you had it fitted?

Have you had basic blood tests done to look at thyroid, blood sugar etc - as I am sure you are aware these can go awry at this time of life too?

Hurdity x
Pages: [1] 2