Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: ADs  (Read 8627 times)

walking the dog

ADs
« on: May 04, 2016, 11:11:23 AM »

Well I took the trazodone for first Tim last night I thought I be spark out like I was on mitrazapine but no tossed turned and when did sleep terrible nightmares! See what tonight brings

babyjane

Re: ADs
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 01:00:51 PM »

ADs can be so difficult.  It is now 6 months since I was given Citalopram and later changed to Escitalopram.  I have had side effects, ups and downs, come off it and then gone back on it, taken it with BBs and without BBs and it is only in the last 4 weeks that I have felt any hint of coming out the other side.

But oh how glad I am that I stuck with it as I am now feeling a lot better.

My very best wishes to all other ladies struggling to stabilise on medication.

lisa789

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 01:33:21 PM »

What dosage are you on? I think you need at least 100mg to help with sleep. The maintenance dose for anxiety and depression is 150-300mg. 150mg used to give me a good nights sleep. Hope you do better tonight X

walking the dog

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 02:38:02 PM »

Only 50 mg I have no idea,why but the day my gp said the psych had said prescribe me it I was all over the place crying etc and was in no state to think straight let alone ask questions ,I have a check up in couple weeks will go with my trusty note book and ask questions .

walking the dog

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 02:50:22 PM »

Any ideas why the psych would say50mg ? Could it be a starting dose but I run out before I'm at gp again si if get on repeat prescription will prob get more 50mg . Ahould I see gp sooner ad query all this ? Anxiety going up now !

walking the dog

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 05:43:59 PM »

And its in capsule form I hoped it would be pills in case withdrawal difficult so could cut bits off , having just had a hard time with dulocetine capsule withdrawal , has any one had itin pill form ? Another question for my gp  :)

lisa789

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 06:46:45 PM »

Trazodone come in 50 & 100mg capsules & 150mg tablets, you can also get liquid so it's good for weaning off.

They may have given you 50mg to build you up slowly. I started on 75mg for 2 weeks then went to 150mg.

When I withdrew from duloxetine I bought some empty capsules and split the dose by putting granules in. I don't think they do it in tablet form or they didn't when I was on it. It's a hard one to get off, my GP gave me a short course of diazepam to help with the withdrawal as that got me through the nightmare of stopping venlafaxine too.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 09:03:14 PM »

Hi Lisa
What dose of Duloxetine were you on and how long did the withdrawal take?

Not many people have tried Duloxetine so it's good to hear that people do get off eventually!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 09:10:28 PM »

It is very rare that patients are unable to wean off ADs!  For me it was the rebound symptoms but once I realised that they didn't become worse after the initial 'oh not again' feelings as I dropped each dosage, I was OK.  It took 9 weeks of careful monitoring (sorry can't remember which AD it was  ::)).

I found that starting with a very low dose suited me better than taking what was recommended as a 'starting' dose!

I expect you were probably half waiting for side effects to happen  ::) = not being able to sleep.

lisa789

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 09:48:06 PM »

Hi Lisa
What dose of Duloxetine were you on and how long did the withdrawal take?

Not many people have tried Duloxetine so it's good to hear that people do get off eventually!

I was on 60mg of Duloxetine and I tapered myself off over 2 months. I bought empty capsules and opened up the duloxetine and emptied it out to split the doses so I could taper more gradually. Still needed diazepam though as the withdrawal was horrific. Remember not everyone is the same, it might be ok for you and I'm sure the Trazodone will help

lisa789

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 09:54:04 PM »

It is very rare that patients are unable to wean off ADs!  For me it was the rebound symptoms but once I realised that they didn't become worse after the initial 'oh not again' feelings as I dropped each dosage, I was OK.  It took 9 weeks of careful monitoring (sorry can't remember which AD it was  ::)).

I found that starting with a very low dose suited me better than taking what was recommended as a 'starting' dose!

I expect you were probably half waiting for side effects to happen  ::) = not being able to sleep.

Try saying that to someone who has gone through seroxat or venlafaxine withdrawal. Some people end up hospitalised. They changed the patient information leaflet on those two drugs as law suits were taken out against the pharmaceutical company and the people won.

Weaning off an anti depressant can be very hard and traumatic for some people. Everyone's mind and body works differently so what's ok for one might not be for another.

After trying many different anti depressants over the years I found the side effects I got out weighed the benefits so I stopped. I was on them for panic disorder with agoraphobia. Now I just get by with diazepam for emergency situations. Wish they could invent something that works like diazepam but doesn't have the addiction & tolerance issues.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 10:00:36 PM »

Oh so do I! or that GPs weren't so hung up on the addiction side of Valium etc. - worrying that my supply might be cut off causes anxiety >:(  When mine gave me Prozac (Seroxat) it was new and he suggested it had 'no known side-effects' and as I left the Surgery I told him "I'll find some".  I did  :-\ - after 3 days I knew if I took any more I wouldn't get out of bed. So stopped. 

Fortunately we peservered.  (sp).  It is quite rare even so, considering the amount of patients that take ADs World Wide.  There are now mutterings that 'therapy', counselling, talking etc. is 'better' than prescribing ADs.  Without them I wouldn't be here  :-[

I didn't have to withdraw from Venlafaxin - I stopped for 24 hours B4 beginning the next AD (can't remember why I stopped  :-\ think my brain had pooped out).  I also feel that had I not been advised that some ADs require weaning off I would have been ok anyway, it was having the idea that it might be problematic that made it worse.  I did have bounce back which was scary initially, I remember laying on the settee crying that I would never feel well ……..  :-\

lisa789

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 10:09:56 PM »

Prozac isn't seroxat. Seroxat is also known as Paroxetine & Paxil.

For me with the venlafaxine it was a case of not being warned of the potential dangers of withdrawal. I nearly ended up in hospital. Fainting, low blood pressure, brain zaps, violent diarrhoea, nausea to the extent I couldn't eat. I was given 24 hours to see an improvement or they were admitting me to be on a drip for hydration. I managed to keep rehydration drinks in long enough for them to work thank god as no way was I leaving my bed!

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 10:12:49 PM »

Of course it isn't Prozac ………… meno-brain here    :-[     :thankyou: for putting me right!

Paxil was the 1 that I had to stop.  Prozac was the 1 that made me have rages  :o  :cuss:

How awful for you.  It amazes me how drugs can affect people in such different ways! 

[can't you sleep either?]

lisa789

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 10:21:07 PM »

I know about the rages 😂😂

Yes it's weird as I've heard people say they've had trouble getting off mirtazipine, I had no bother with that at all. Trazodone is by far the most user friendly I found, but it just didn't do anything for my anxiety and panic attacks. I slept well though!

I'm not sleeping well at the moment. Just had a recent diagnosis of peri and PMDD. I'm currently on day 7 of Microgynon which I've to take continuously. Fingers crossed it calms me down as I've been like a mad woman crying and feeling suicidal when I ovulate and just before I get a period.
Pages: [1] 2 3