Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: What happens next?  (Read 3940 times)

pepperminty

What happens next?
« on: April 30, 2016, 05:29:18 AM »

Hi Ladies,

Perimenopause / menopause  and all that is encompasses - the mental and physical symptoms - anxiety , hot flushes , vaginal atrophy/ dryness to name but a few.

Ok so we deal with the above as best we can either with or without medication, BUT what happens next? I gather from reading some posts that the anxiety eventually stops and the hot flushes lessen.

Do the other physical symptoms magically decline or are we destined to have dry sore down below bits forever unless we use oestrogen topically and moisturise our bits daily?

No one ever talks about the menopause until it hits them like a ton of bricks , but I haven't a clue what to expect after it either.
 Do most of the symptoms disappear? If so when ? I mean is there a cut off point? I know the peri / menopause can go on for years and years , but what should one expect on the other side?

Is there light at the end of the tunnel? I do hope so.  :-\ ???

Pepperminty xx

Dancinggirl

Re: What happens next?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 09:22:41 AM »

Nobody can tell you this - we are all different.  Flushes etc may subside over 1-5 years - for a small number they never do.  Problems with the vaginal areas and bladder, if already an issue, will need ongoing treatment and support as we get deeper into post meno.
I wish I could offer you some hope - there is no doubt that the medical profession needs to address the ongoing issues that a small number of women continue to experience. Menopause is inevitable for all ladies, how badly we suffer and for how long will vary greatly.  We must bare in mind that to get beyond 50, a hundred years ago, was a achievement in itself!!!!  Menopause is part of the ageing process.
You could be lucky and flushes etc subside quite quickly and could get away with just using local oestrogen to maintain the lady bits. Regarding our lady bits - I have been dealing with this since my early 40s, now 60, I am resigned to constantly using products and oestrogen locally to keep things healthy.  DG x

pepperminty

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 10:30:29 AM »

Thanks DG, I am stocking up on vagifem as we speak!! 

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 02:38:13 PM »

pepperminty, I'm an HRT lifer and I don't intend to find out! 

I think the menopause is a fault in the female design and the only thing you can do to rectify that fault is to take hormones, nothing else will cut it.  The problem is that the menopause is not just about the immediate symptoms that some women experience like hot flushes and night sweats (never had either of them myself) but it is also very much about the long term health problems that oestrogen deprivation causes. 

How long does it last?  It can go on for many years and without HRT, some symptoms like VA and bladder problems will never go away.

Basically you dry up from the inside and the ageing process speeds up big time.  It's frightening how quickly bone mass diminishes and other problems emerge like bladder, cognitive skills, depression, high cholesterol to name a few - the actual list of menopause symptoms is endless.

Oestrogen is a like a control centre for so many vital bodily functions and without it, your health will deteriorate.  I wish this wasn't the case but we can't hide from it so we have to deal with it by using HRT.

I think it is only a matter of time before doctors urge all women (unless they have a very serious underlying health problem) to take HRT as soon as their oestrogel levels drop.  It would be one of the most impacting preventative health measures ever taken. 

Apologies if this is depressing but I think the whole thing needs to be blown wide open.  The new NICE guidelines are welcome but they don't go far enough and I think the whole approach to HRT needs to be reformed. 

So there is a light but it is not at the end of the tunnel, it is at the beginning of the tunnel and stops from you entering it!  In other words, you have a choice and don't have to go there. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 03:56:16 PM »

My Mum [89] hasn't complained, neither did my late M in L.  I have found 'tens-type products around their homes but they never spoke about problems after the initial stopping of periods.  My sister told me that 'I've gone through all that' …… so either she doesn't want me to know if there are problems (we are not close at all) or she has been OK since.

HRT should enhance Life 4 some.  Bit like being hungry and eating to keep symptoms away  ::)

Personally, apart from VA which returns if I don't keep treatment on a regular basis, I have been lucky.  I was already taking medication for depression and anxiety so who knows  :-\.  Any flushing, that happened after my evening baths, went after a couple of years of my stopping periods.  Itchy insteps are an annoyance each evening.  My face has 'spots' which won't
pop  >:( ………..

linz57

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 06:23:35 PM »

My previous doctor told me my VA was for life , whereas my new doctor says it can get better. I know who I believe .... And it doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence in this new doctor 😐

Kazbear

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 09:40:22 PM »

The psychologist who I am seeing in conjunction with my CBT therapist said that I shouldn't worry about the menopause - "every woman has it"!

I wasn't sure how to take that.  Just 'cos every woman has it, doesn't mean to say that you can't be worried or anxious about it. 

She also suggested that I think about medication (this was before my lovely young registrar put me on Sertraline).  I was resistant, but she said it would be fine "half the world is on them"!

Doncha just love it??!!

Dorothy

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 11:06:38 PM »

The psychologist who I am seeing in conjunction with my CBT therapist said that I shouldn't worry about the menopause - "every woman has it"!

That's a bit like telling you not to worry about death because everyone experiences it... :o

dangermouse

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 03:26:16 AM »

Yes there is definitely an assumption made that we are suffering due to being in fear of it, rather than suffering he actual symptoms!

Even when my docs thought my nausea was due to ulcers, they asked me what I was afraid of (after returning because it was so unbearable). They couldn't seem to compute that it was the suffering of the nausea that I had come about in the hope they could help, rather than my attitude towards it.

Being a psychotherapist myself, I have become aware of many non psych medical people (GPs, A&E junior docs) jumping to inappropriate, not to mention inadequate, psychoanalysis??!

I guess it can get dull handing out pills.  ::)

Kate50

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 04:32:39 AM »

My mum is 78 she has VA and has had it since her 50 's I agree with you Mary G but I still don't think were getting adequate care for it but then where do you start?  I wouldn't want the job of over seeer of women's hormones!  Laid here awake early again with itching skin since starting my second month of Utrogestan!

pepperminty

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 07:11:32 PM »

Crikey I am never coming off HRT. :o