Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: hi ladies  (Read 2629 times)

MM

hi ladies
« on: April 14, 2016, 11:57:01 AM »

Just joined up as I'm feeling really low and tearful...
I'm  46 and have been on hrt premarin and a mirena coil for just over 5 years....
Felt like superwoman when I first went onto the hrt - having just been through the  most appallingly painful break up of a 20 year marriage - the hrt was a blessing....everything was ok...some flushes, some night sweats but all bearable ....
BUT ....In the last  6 weeks, I feel like the rug has been pulled from under me and I just can't  stop crying....and crying...and crying....
So...I went to the gp yesterday and all she could suggest was Prozac - which I have to admit I felt a little horrified at....
Incidentally, I stopped smoking just a bit before the crying started and now am seriously beginning to wonder if that was a step too far - and that I am just asking too much of my system to adjust to this, too....

PLEASE does anyone have any suggestions - as I need some help - I sobbed yesterday for a solid 3 hours..... :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: hi ladies
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 01:57:31 PM »

Prozac for any depression you are suffering as a result of your breakup?  Did you GP explain why she was offering it?  Do you need to see her again?  Your crying spells may be reaction to what has happened to your marriage.  It may also be a breakthrough of your hormones.

:welcomemm:  Is this the same GP who put you onto HRT?  Sometimes the body needs a hike in dosage.  Have a broswe round, make notes.  Ask away. 

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 03:14:26 PM »

Shadow, welcome to MM.

I'm really sorry to hear about the terrible time you have been having, it sounds like a mixture of different things all coming together at once and not the best time in your life to give yourself the added stress of giving up smoking.

That form of HRT you are taking is oral and synthetic so not the best type available.  Bio identical Oestrogel is much, much better in just about every way so my first suggestion would be to swap to that as soon as you possibly can.  You have a Mirena coil so that is the progesterone side of things dealt with and I assume you get on well with it and are not intolerant to synthetic progestins. 

Moving to the Prozac, I would not take it until you have changed your oestrogen regime which is clearly no longer effective and not strong enough to keep your symptoms under control - if you don't feel significantly better on HRT and/or still have symptoms, then it is not working properly.  Your own oestrogen levels might still be dropping too which will not help. 

I suggest you only take the Prozac when you have ruled out hormonal reasons for your depression.

Having any kind of relationship break up with very, very difficult and painful and it will leave you feeling very low.  You may well need ADs at some point but try to deal with the hormones first and go from there.

I hope that helps.

Ms Saucy

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 05:10:52 PM »

Hello there.
What a difficult time you are having honey. I too would explore the hormone routes before thinking of AD's.....also Relate have an one line chat system that may be helpful to talk through relationship angst. Did you leave him or he you? Could be that sense of loss and period of adjustment times.   For now go steady and catch my hugs x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 06:47:37 PM »

Although this may be hormonal, anti-depressant medication can be a Life Saver!  it certainly won't do any harm if side effects are bearable but I would ask for something other than Prozac (it made me really angry  :cuss: ).  It can take 10 days+ B4 the effect of AD can be felt and another 5/6 months B4 the sufferer realises the benefits/not.

MM

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 10:36:44 PM »

Thank you for caring enough to reply...
sorry ......I'm having a really bad day - I'll try again tomorrow