Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Mirena tomorrow  (Read 12929 times)

Chi chi

Mirena tomorrow
« on: April 05, 2016, 09:06:44 PM »

Having the Mirena fitted tomorrow and feeling apprehensive 😬 Think I've got a chest infection too! Happy days!  :-\
If anyone's interested I might keep a diary?

Briony

Re: Mirena tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 09:48:38 PM »

Good luck Chi Chi. I would be really interested to know how it goes. I have a friend in her late 40s who says it is the GP's contraceptive of choice - she has had one for years. I got as far as booking it, but then chickened out, much to my embarrassment! Really hope it eases your meno issues. Xx

Lizab

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 12:15:16 AM »

Good luck! I had no problems with the getting it put in when I had one. Did your doctor advise taking an ibuprofen before? I did that and barely felt a pinch. I've had regular pap exams that hurt more.

Chi chi

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 09:01:37 AM »

Thanks X
I'm not worried about actually having it fitted just how I'll react to it being as I'm prog intolerant  ???
I had one years ago so I kind of remember what to expect, does anyone else's dr's still fit them? Mine doesn't so I've had to jump through hoops at the sexual health clinic to get it ::)
Anyway it's at 3.15 so I'll let you know how it goes 😬
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 09:03:50 AM by Chi chi »

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 09:57:07 AM »

I am having one next week, the 13th!!

Really nervous about it as have not had one before. One of the female doctors is trained to do them at our practice, but have had to wait several weeks.
I am hoping that they are able to fit it with no problems as I want to restart my Estradot patch which I had to abandon as I couldn't stand the side effects of the Utrogestan.

Hope all goes well for you and do come back and let us know

elsie001

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 02:06:24 PM »

I have one and had it fitted 6 months ago at the Docs.  No more uncomfortable than a smear test.  I did have low mood for a while but I think it was just my body adjusting to it as mood has now improved.  I had daily bleeding (not much - didn't need more than a panty liner) which has lessened but I think I'm going to one of the unlucky ones who still gets light periods.  Main reasons for getting the mirena were flooding & insomnia, which improved dramatically since getting it fitted - progesterone is apparently a sleepy hormone!

Good luck for tomorrow Chi Chi - I'm sure you'll be fine.

Chi chi

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 06:12:38 PM »

Just a little update,
Finally got called into appt half hour late  ::) she went through my history and why I wanted it, got the impression she was fitting it under duress as it's more for HRT than contraception  :-\
She was interested in the fact that I'm no better than when I started HRT?  and questioned whether I need it and that maybe I need to look at other reasons for low moods etc   :-\ but then went on to talk about shutting everything down and starting from scratch ??? And a hysterectomy?? Very odd appointment really and I felt I was being tested in some way?
She was concerned that I'd not had much prog so she did a scan and biopsy while she fitted the Mirena. She said everything looked normal but that my lining was thicker than shed liked/expected. Also noted that one of my ovaries looked small and both were pretty "quiet" meaning not really doing much, she said due to the estrogel. When she was fitting the Mirena she said they come in 2 strengths but I need the higher one as the other isn't licensed for something or other?? She didn't really explain it and when both me and hubby tried asking questions we felt like we were putting her out  ??? Like I said earlier very strange appointment  :-\
It was a bit painful nothing excruciating, I'm just waiting for the numbing to wear off now but I'm bleeding fairly heavy already.
Anyway it's in now so..........
Just hope I'm ok with it? I said to hubby oh well wait for the **** to hit the fan now! Really hope it doesn't  :-\

Chi chi

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 09:11:00 AM »

So far so good, bleeding had settled down by evening and is now hardly anything. Also had no pain  :o

Just seem to have a niggly cold/chest infection of some sort

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 01:54:06 PM »

Glad you're feeling ok Chi chi. I must admit that I've never heard of the Mirena being available in two strengths before!

Taz x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 06:45:52 PM »

I hadn't heard of the Mirena being available in two strengths.

There is the Jaydess but I think that is only for contraceptive use not for the progesterone part of HRT.

Chi chi

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 07:27:10 PM »

I didn't know anything about jaydess, maybe that's what she meant?

dogdoc

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 10:07:43 PM »

Chichi. Please let us know how you make out with the Mirena. I've also considered it many times but am very afraid of what it'll do to my mood...maybe nothing.
I think it's about the only alternative to hysterectomy though that lets you do whatever you need with your estrogen without having to worry about the darn uterus. Always messing things up that uterus. Ah well.

Tara

Chi chi

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 09:36:43 AM »

Update,
Not had much in the way of pain since having it, had an initial, quite heavy bleed the day it was fitted but hardly anything since.
My mood has been ok, well as it was ! No better no worse really although last night after quite an upbeat day I became really quite anxious and kind of agitated? I had waves of thinking what have I done  ??? Haven't really slept any better but I've got a stinking cold at the moment so difficult to tell what's causing what ?

Dyan

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 11:18:04 AM »

I'm on my 2nd mirena due to be changed in August.
I've been fine with it but don't know if I will have another one fitted at 55 ???

Tinkerbell

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 11:39:47 AM »

Pleased to her you have been happy with yours Dyan.
Having mine fitted this week, really hoping it suits me.
I am nearly 53, why do you think you may not get yours replaced?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4