Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Really not coping  (Read 4061 times)

Yammy1

Really not coping
« on: March 15, 2016, 10:26:15 PM »

I started hrt last week and I'm not sure if this is causing my anger and irritation, But my poor hubby and kids are getting the blunt of my mood swings. I had a hysterectomy 3 1/2 years ago and doc took bloods a couple of weeks ago and said my ovaries have totally stopped working and recommended hrt, Does anyone know if this is causing my anger and I feel like my skin is crawling. hard to explain but it's like I keep getting shocks

Dancinggirl

Re: Really not coping
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 10:44:42 PM »

Oh Yammy! - I expect your body is crying out for this oestrogen and it will take a few weeks for everything to settle.  You may experience all kinds of sensations as the oestrogen does it's magic but oestrogen generally lifts the mood and energy.  My gynae describes the initial side effects of using HRT as the body " waking up".
I suspect in about 4-6 weeks you will start to feel like a new women.  Do persevere - think of all the benefits for your bones, heart, bladder etc.   What dose have you been given?  DG x

donnacrichton

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 10:49:46 PM »

Hi Please don't panic I did for months. The shocks are when your hormone levels are changing up or down. I had tingling all over my body neck and head and this was the symptom I found most distressing. Please stick to one regular dose as moving make makes symptoms worse. It has taken me a long time to try and settle and made things much worse for myself. Hope you get relief soon. Xx

Yammy1

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 07:55:29 AM »

Thank you I am taking 37.5 estradot, comforting to know I'm not alone I will stick it out and hopefully things will start to improve sooner rather than later. I just feel generally unwell, nauseous and lightheaded but hopefully it's just side effects of hrt. I also suffer with anxiety so feeling really out of sorts oh the joys of menopause  :(. I was told that magnesium can help especially with the anxiety any thoughts on this, willing to try anything at this stage
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 08:00:00 AM by Yammy1 »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 09:15:56 AM »

Yammy - they have put you on quite a low dose of oestrogen so this will take a bit longer to kick in.  You haven't told us how old you are?  If you are still in your 40s or early 50s then you may need a higher dose in time but it is good to start low in the first 3 months. Anxiety is best controlled with CBT or some Mindfulness - so well worth trying.  ADs or SRRIs are sometimes also beneficial alongside HRT if anxiety becomes a real problem.  I suspect once the oestrogen really gets going you will begin to feel more in control.
Try to practise relaxation of some sort - be kind to yourself.
Do look at your diet and lifestyle generally - if you can improve diet and get out for brisk walks in the sunshine this will do a lot of good. DG x

Yammy1

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 09:39:03 AM »

I'm 52 had partial hysterectomy 3 1/2 years ago but bloods takin a couple of weeks ago showed my ovaries are no longer working. Doc gave me ads but I'll wait and see how  hrt does before taking them.hopefully in a couple of weeks things will improve. But thank you for responding it really does help when you know your not alone xxx

donnacrichton

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 08:44:31 PM »

You are certainly not alone it is very hard when it is so scary. I am also on estradot but have started low. I feel awful with any change and then panic so please keep posting for support x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 09:42:44 PM »

Yammy1 -  do persevere with the HRT first - if in 3-6 months your mood is still very low then add in the ADs - with such a low dose for oestrogen it will take longer to help. I would ask for the 50mg patches if you are not feeling better after 3 months, however, I think you will start to feel better after about 4-6 weeks.  DG x

Lizab

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 11:28:41 PM »

Yammy, I started the American version of Estrodot, Vivelle dot, in the same low dose as yours 3 months ago. I was very up and down the first 2 months. Only in the last few weeks have I settled a bit. I really didn't think the patch was helping me at all. Due to the recent consistency in improvement, I'm now debating whether to ask for more estrogen or stick with the low dose. Hang in there, it does take weeks which feel like forever, but it does get better.

Yammy1

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 11:43:05 PM »

Thank you all for your replies . I will soldier on and hopefully the old me will return, It' s such a bloody pain dealing with fluctuating hormones,  but I hope once hrt kicks in I'll be brand new  :P