Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Estriol Cream  (Read 19399 times)

Frazzle

Estriol Cream
« on: March 12, 2016, 08:26:58 AM »

Hello ladies, firstly please excuse my naivety or ignorance, not sure which, but I have been suffering badly for weeks now with itching 'down below'.  I have been asking if it's menopause related but the gp kept saying oh it will be thrush, despite me being in surgical menopause having had both ovaries removed in 2014.  They have given me umpteen thrush treatments but nothing has worked and swabs came back clear too.  So I have finally got my own way it feels and have been given Estriol Cream 0.01% to try.  Thing is they say I have to fill the applicator tube and deposit it all inside deep in the vagina.  But my itching isn't inside at all, it's on the outside high up at the front, where the public hair is and along those edges.  Is it safe for me to just put the Estriol Cream straight onto those external areas directly, as I have no itching inside and I don't want to add to my current uncomfortable'ness if that makes sense.  The thrush cream didn't stop the itching but putting the cream directly on the itchy area definitely helped.   

star35

Re: Estriol Cream
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 09:16:02 AM »

I have been using this for a long time now, I also had the itching on the out side but it definitely works better if you insert it. It is also ok to rub on the out side.

Frazzle

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 09:53:02 AM »

Just proof read my post, pubic hair I meant not PUBLIC.  Most very definitely NOT public!!!  hahaha.  Predictive text lol

limpy

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 10:34:15 AM »

Thing is they say I have to fill the applicator tube and deposit it all inside deep in the vagina.  But my itching isn't inside at all, it's on the outside high up at the front, where the public hair is and along those edges.  Is it safe for me to just put the Estriol Cream straight onto those external areas directly, as I have no itching inside and I don't want to add to my current uncomfortable'ness if that makes sense. 

You can use the Estriol externally as well to ease things.
Even though you don't feel itchy on the inside, chances are the problem is starting there.
It's probably as well to treat the whole problem to stop it recurring.

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 12:01:15 PM »

I agree with Limpy.  I use Vagifem pessaries internally as they are less messy and Estriol cream externally.  Lower oestrogen levels can affect the whole area, not just the inside.  :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 12:49:07 PM »

Hi and welcoem to MM Frazzle
This type of itching is very common and using local oestrogen will certainly help.  However, your GP is not entirely wrong about it being related to something like thrush.  Bacterial vaginitis is also very common once we are in meno and this can be itchy and sore.  The main problem is do with the lack of natural secretions that keep our whole vaginal area healthy - we tend to go dry down there, the flora balance goes and therefore we become more prone to thrush and other infections.  Many of us get UTI type symptoms, itchiness and feel really sore.
As others have recommended, do use the oestrogen cream as prescribed but I would also recommend a vaginal gel called Multi Gyn Actigel (there are other products you can use but I find this is the best). The moisturising gel has ingredients that help to keep the vaginal flora slightly more acidic, which it should be, so prevents bacteria and infections taking hold.
It tends to sting a bit when applied but will then be soothing and usually stops the itching.  You can get these vaginal gels/moisturisers over the internet.
The oestrogen cream will help you start to create more natural secretions and plump up the whole vaginal area which will make it healthier but I find I also need to use just a small amount of the Multi Gyn Actigel after my shower each evening - I apply a good dollop on the end of my finger and push it up inside and also smear some around the outside and this really keeps things comfortable. 
Hope that helps  Dg x

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 01:36:08 PM »

Yes I would try to rub a little estriol cream on the external tissues. Unfortunately I cannot use it as it makes me burn. The vagifem tablets are very good. The most soothing thing for me is to sit for twenty minutes in a salt bath.  At present using dead sea salts. Have good days and then bad days. Found my itching has subsided. Also used Vagisil for the itching that is also soothing.  Itching gone, burning, ****ling and stinging intermittent, still can't have it all ways. Hope you get some relief very soon. Take care.

Frazzle

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 12:53:05 PM »

Could I ask how soon you get effects.  I started the cream at the weekend and started to feel better yesterday, whereas this morning I am as itchy as anything again.  Is it a different every day??  Should I up to twice a day for this first fortnight?   Feel soooo despondent, I'm only in my 40s so in my mind I never expected to be dealing with all this for 15/20 years more.    Fed up!

limpy

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 02:51:01 PM »

Frazzle how often are you using it?
When I first started the Estriol (Gynest) cream is was every night for the first week, then twice a week thereafter. The opinion on here was it should be every night for the first fortnight.

It takes a little time to "load" the tissues up with the oestrogen.

Frazzle

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 02:55:15 PM »

I was told once a night for the first fortnight and then down to twice weekly.

limpy

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 03:09:49 PM »

Hopefully things will settle down when the tissues are loaded up.
If things are still itchy by Thursday or Friday contact your GP or Practice Nurse.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 03:43:12 PM »

Frazzle - do read my post again - I have suffered with this type of burning for many years so really understand what it's like.  It is about an all round approach - the local oestrogen really helps but is not usually enough. 
The other thing to try is; a teaspoon of bicarb of soda in a glass of water (you can flavour it with cordial if need be) - this will neutralise your urine and helps to reduce the burning. Do avoid caffein and acidic juices - have showers not baths and never use anything scented on your lady bits.   DG x