Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Operations whilst on hrt  (Read 3792 times)

wombat62

Operations whilst on hrt
« on: March 11, 2016, 11:40:01 AM »

Hi

With my gallbladder op looming, I mentioned coming off hrt for the op to the consulting surgeon who said could if I wanted to but wasn't totally necessary. He said they now give you blood thinners whilst under but he's not the one doing the op, unfortunately.

I had to put it on the form for the hospital but all they want before is a blood test and ecg, no other meetings etc.

I Googled it (of course!) and mixed info but the gist was patches were better and it was really up to the anesthetist.

Soooo was just wondering if anyone has had an op and not come off it? I'm reluctant as having lost weight some flushes are back and I have a busy time right up until the op and need my sleep and brain! I'm trying not to get too stressed or take on too much as this increases the flushes anyway and although I'm busy it's getting stuff up to date so I can take it easy for a week or two afterwards.

Any thoughts, just a bit uneasy about clots. I was thinking of cutting down to half a patch?

Cheers W

limpy

Re: Operations whilst on hrt
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 02:58:51 PM »

Perhaps see what it says on the patient information leaflet that comes with your HRT?
The following applies to Evorel Conti.

"Operations or tests
Tell your doctor if you are going to have surgery. You may need to stop taking
HRT about 4 to 6 weeks before the operation to reduce the risk of a blood
clot. Your doctor will tell you when you can start taking HRT again"
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 03:02:02 PM by Limpy »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 04:53:51 PM »

You could ring the Ward where you are 2 B admitted to, ask for the name of the Anaesthetist and ask for him/her to ring you?  I wrote to the Anaesthetist prior to Surgery and she rang for a very long chat, twice, prior to my admission.

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 09:05:50 PM »

I had my gall bladder removed 15 months ago, whilst on HRT and yes they did inject a blood thinner, but I don't think that was because I was on HRT. There was never any suggestion that I should stop. It was day surgery and general advice was given re blood clots. I was given some very attractive bottle green stockings to wear!

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 04:58:49 PM »

I had to stop before my hysterectomy. I was also given a blood thinner which is standard I believe following surgery. This is from the NICE site

"Surgery
Major surgery under general anaesthesia, including orthopaedic and vascular leg surgery, is a predisposing factor for venous thromboembolism and it may be prudent to stop HRT 4–6 weeks before surgery (see Risk of Venous Thromboembolism, above); it should be restarted only after full mobilisation. If HRT is continued or if discontinuation is not possible (e.g. in non-elective surgery), prophylaxis with unfractionated or low molecular weight heparin and graduated compression hosiery is advised."

Taz x

Harana

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 08:14:37 AM »

I went to see consultant on Tuesday re having gall bladder removed and he told me to just keep taking it. HTH and good luck - feeling anxious about mine in May
Harana

wombat62

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 09:04:10 PM »

Hi

Thanks for all your replies!

I had to give the hospital a list of medication and I'm sure they would have said to stop it if necessary, however, I'm trying half a patch so there is a little less hormone circulating.

It seems they like to get you up and about as soon as you are awake and then the after care says to walk around the house every hour.

Good luck with your op Harana. I just want it done and over with now, I have a very busy week on the run up to mine so hoping it will take my mind off it! I've just booked a mini break for a few weeks afterwards so I have something to look forward to. I still have to do the low fat diet for a while but hopefully if I accidentally eat a bit more fat the worst will be an upset tum.