Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: neck pain  (Read 23698 times)

elainewin

neck pain
« on: March 02, 2016, 02:47:17 PM »

I just wondered if this is anything to do with menopause i am  55yrs old and still having irregular periods , night after night i have real neck pain when sleeping I ave bought new mattress new topper endless amounts of pillows and i still cant get my neck comfortable is this hormone related ,or just age related any one with hints and tips would be fantastic as i have no more room for pillows lol

dahliagirl

Re: neck pain
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 03:06:58 PM »

I was getting a lot of neck pain with all my other joint pains.

I had a test for arthritis, which came back as low in vit D.  I take supplements of vit D3, and it did improve after 6 weeks.  It comes back if I stop taking them.

If I sit in one position for a while it does not help, so I have to keep moving.

I presume the D3 made a difference. ;)  I am now taking omega 3 fish oils too, and do gentle exercise and yoga to make sure that my joints are being used properly and my posture is correct.

elainewin

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 05:22:55 PM »

Tank you everyone very interesting about the vitD3  as i was tested and have low levels off vit D  i did take them but havnt for a few weeks it seems to add up now im certainly going to take them all the time now . great advice as usual x

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 07:46:19 PM »

Tank you everyone very interesting about the vitD3  as i was tested and have low levels off vit D  i did take them but havnt for a few weeks it seems to add up now im certainly going to take them all the time now . great advice as usual x

I might try vitamin D3 too as I have neck/shoulder/top of back tension. Were they available over the counter? Isn't  it unusual to still have periods at 55? I am a few days short of 53 but mine stopped just over 2 years ago and had been very infrequent for over a year before that (7-8 months apart)

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 07:55:04 PM »

katejo - Vitamin D is widely available - all the Vit D sold as a supplement in UK is D3 (I'm almost certain of this). Average age of menopause is 51/52 so it follows that there will be plenty of women in their 50's having periods as many women become menopausal at lower than the average age. I think 80% of women (?in UK) have reached menopause by 54 - I seem to remember reading that somewhere..... just found it:

If sequential therapy started while still having periods, wait till age 54 years. At 54 years 80% of women will have cessation of ovarian function and are likely to settle on continuous combined (period-free) therapy.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php#why

elainewin - I answered about neck pain on your previous thread where you also mentioned it. I do think there is a hormonal reason for it yes - as with many joint/muscle aches that seem to affect women from 40's onwards. However if you are still having periods you are less hormonally deficient than many women of your age who are not on HRT. Thyroid hormone and Testosterone are the two hormones I think can cause problems if you are deficient (as well as oestrogen of course!).

Hurdity x

elainewin

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 08:18:16 PM »

Still having periods at 55yrs is late in life, and i am sure thats why my body cant settle into one thing or another.most of my friends have been post menopause for 5yrs plus ,Drs dont seem to explain why some people are so late into the menopause . I have tried to find site,s to help explain . Im going to open another thread and see if any one else my age has got any information of pro,s con,s  of a late menopause ....thanks all for comments x

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 09:23:41 PM »

katejo - Vitamin D is widely available - all the Vit D sold as a supplement in UK is D3 (I'm almost certain of this). Average age of menopause is 51/52 so it follows that there will be plenty of women in their 50's having periods as many women become menopausal at lower than the average age. I think 80% of women (?in UK) have reached menopause by 54 - I seem to remember reading that somewhere..... just found it:

If sequential therapy started while still having periods, wait till age 54 years. At 54 years 80% of women will have cessation of ovarian function and are likely to settle on continuous combined (period-free) therapy.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php#why

elainewin - I answered about neck pain on your previous thread where you also mentioned it. I do think there is a hormonal reason for it yes - as with many joint/muscle aches that seem to affect women from 40's onwards. However if you are still having periods you are less hormonally deficient than many women of your age who are not on HRT. Thyroid hormone and Testosterone are the two hormones I think can cause problems if you are deficient (as well as oestrogen of course!).

Hurdity x

I am currently looking at low thyroid hormone as a possible cause of my aching limbs, particularly aching calves and feet. I am waiting for a referral to an endocrinologist. I have had underactive thyroid since birth but I am not sure whether I am getting full benefit from the thyroxine following the start of menopause.

peri

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 03:57:49 PM »

I'm struggling with neck and shoulder pain too. I've been having massages t try and sort it. Also thinking about getting an orthopaedic mattress as like you elainewin I can't get comfortable on an night.

elainewin

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 05:34:25 PM »

Hi
Peri yes its awful not getting comfortable ive had 2 new beds in 3 yrs, and endless amounts of pillows some quite expensive, but noting seems to help long term ,i might get the odd comfortable night but thats it ,be careful before you spend lots of money, orthopedic beds are really firm and that makes me personally ache even more ,thanks for replys x

peri

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 05:58:38 PM »

I will do thanks. I'd like to know where hotels source their beds as I always seem to sleep well when I'm staying in one and I'm sure it's because of the quality of the mattress x

Dennylou48

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 11:33:39 AM »

Hi I suffer real bad with my neck too I'm 48 and peri I have not had a period for 3 months now been on this awful journey for 3 years with all symptoms going especially the spaced out fuzzy head feeling which I am wondering is anything to do with my neck. I have an appointment  with a chiro practices tomorrow so we will see what he says about it. I have changed mattresses and pillows don't make no difference. I have started doing neck exercises that I got off the Internet which do help a little bit but I want it gone like yesterday  lol. I just can't believe how much hormones can change the way our bodies work. It's a nightmare. Digestive issues are so bad too so am on lansoprazole for that. I have gone off food and everything smells so weird. Let's hope we get this over and done with very soon. Will post after I been tomorrow  to let you know what he says. Xxx

Dennylou48

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 11:37:27 AM »

Peri I stayed at the premier Inn a few times and there mattresses are lush. You can go online and buy them so that's what I'm doing. Good luck xx

Keepgoing

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 12:25:31 PM »

You could try reflexology did the trick for me as I had neck pain for years and no longer bothered with it xx

Dennylou48

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 06:04:48 PM »

Hi well my chiro was fab, I have inflamed ligaments and tight muscles due to bad posture and using an iPad to freecuently, which puts lots of pressure on your neck when looking down at the screen, he twisted my neck either way and sorted my back at the same time, I have to put a cold compress on 3 times a day and do neck exercises, am seeing him again on Monday. Regards to gastro clinic , I am having to have an endoscopy to see if I have a hernia so not looking forward to that. Hopefully get this all sorted soon. And I need to gain half a stone haha easier said than done, can you really go off food in menopause.lol.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 07:35:40 PM »

Gain half a stone  :-\ - why?

Hormones can certainly affect appetite, as can chronic pain.  If you are in a salaried work environment it is up to the Company to provide you with equipment that is safe to use, i.e. your work station and computer screen plus a good chair must be provided.  You are also entitled to 20 mins break from the screen every 2 hours.  TAKE IT!

A good pillow can help.  We have a HUGE bed (we need a mobile to talk to each other in the night  ;) ) and sleep much better than when squashed together. 

"twisted" my neck  :-\ ………. can be dangerous  :( better to use gentle massage, cold/warm compresses and teach the Client exercises!

I was advised to move my head forwards as far as is comfy, pointing the chin into the chest area; and rest.  To twist neck gently either direction left and right, then put the ear towards the shoulder, as far as is comfy.  Then tilt the head backwards.  Do I remember, nope: until my neck and nape feel tight  :D
Pages: [1] 2 3