Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: IBS or something else!  (Read 16798 times)

robotwars

IBS or something else!
« on: February 20, 2016, 04:14:34 PM »

Hi! Here we go again, yet another attack with my stomach, seems to be happening a couple of times a month!!! Woke up this morning at 4am, feeling very hot and my stomach was rumbling and feeling awful, an hour later a few episodes of diarrhoea , now have a pain in top of the stomach just below the ribs, in the middle, its like a dull ache but feels more painful when you press on it... at first I thought it was because we went out to eat last night, I had the ham egg and chips, thought it might have been too greasy but now im not sure, wondering if its something else as it keeps happening, I also thought it could be connected to the patches or IBS, just not sure..... I have an appointment at the doctors in 2 weeks, couldn't get in any earlier! Just not sure what to take for it.............. if its not peri symptoms its something else.... Aaghhhh!!!

blossom60

Re: IBS or something else!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 04:19:26 PM »

Have you thought about keeping a food diary.  That could help you find out if any particular food is the trigger.  Also stress is often a factor.  Are you worried about anything at the moment?

robotwars

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 04:33:01 PM »

good idea about the food diary, not stressed though, as everything has settled down now that my mother has moved into the care home, so lifes been a lot better! LOL

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 04:44:42 PM »

Hiatus hernis is apparently 'common' in ladies of a certain age.  I get that pain about 'there' sometimes but it does pass.

Dorothy

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 06:14:06 PM »

I have to 'pay for it' if I ever have chips - and battered fish is right off the menu now.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 08:10:02 PM »

Fish and chips makes me really ill

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 12:43:30 AM »

One thing about IBS is that it doesn't wake you at night for a bowel movement. It's more likely to be something disagreeing with you I reckon. Horrible feeling. I hate it - especially if you're staying in someone elses house and you're sure you are waking the whole household!

Taz x

robotwars

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 04:20:29 PM »

That's very interesting Taz2, I didn't know that!
We are going away in a caravan for Easter so hope I can get this sorted for then......as im dreading it!

blossom60

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 05:21:33 PM »

What about any medication or supplements your taking.

I also find too much fruit does it for me.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 05:39:32 PM »

That's very interesting Taz2, I didn't know that!
We are going away in a caravan for Easter so hope I can get this sorted for then......as im dreading it!

It is mentioned on the American website http://www.aboutibs.org/site/signs-symptoms/overview. I would keep a food diary to see what could be upsetting your system. Also there is advice re IBS on the IBS Network http://www.theibsnetwork.org/  although you do have to join as a member to get the full "package".

Taz x  :)

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 07:22:33 PM »

For me IBS is: slow transit in that my bowel feels like it needs to 'go' but won't; or I have to get up earlier than usual to 'go', when it can be runny/small rabbit-type stools: once a day or several times.  Fortunately I don't have pain as some people get.  In 1998 I did have acute nausea which sent me to the GP who prescribed Colpermin for upper gut wind as well as Motillium.

Some people find various OTC products helpful.  If I feel the need to 'go' in the early hours I hang on because I fear it's a bug …….. so lay awake for hours resisting the urge  ::)

wombat62

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 10:29:44 PM »

Hi there

I think we are able to less tolerate greasy and heavy food as we get older or for me that could have been the start of the gallbladder problems. I started being sick after eating a bit too much or rich food over the last year or so.

I get the pain in the middle and it is very tender but one doc I saw thought this could be a stomach problem as well, maybe a small ulcer. Anyway, he gave me a months course of PPI's which if anything was there it would clear it up as they reduce stomach acid allowing anything to heal.

The thing is I used to get a fair bit of heartburn every now and again but since I got the gallstone attacks and have been eating much fat and eating lighter I've not had any.

Keep a food diary and if it is possible that fat that is setting it off then cut back as much as possible for a few weeks and see if that helps. Try and start before the doctor visit so you can give them more info to work with.

Hope it eases soon, that's horrible to have in the middle of the night, I know!

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 09:16:55 AM »

Mines playing up this morning.  Busy yesterday and I'm never good on a Monday until after Mum has phoned  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 01:12:56 PM »

Bugga ……… she wasn't on the 'phone long because a parcel arrived  ::)
Still queasy ……...

robotwars

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 02:24:43 PM »

Oh so sorry CLKD, hope you feel better soon! im feeling rubbish today, im trying some Galveston to see if it helps and having probiotic yoghurts and keeping a food diary,........... fingers crossed something helps!......
Pages: [1] 2 3