Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Coming off Sertraline...any advice?  (Read 10622 times)

Justjules

Coming off Sertraline...any advice?
« on: February 20, 2016, 09:29:57 AM »

As per my post yesterday, went to see GP, told her couldn't cope with these side affects any longer (6 weeks) so she said to come off them. She said to do half a tablet but then said maybe 3/4 might be better. She gave me a few 2mg diazepam to help.  I went on a site that somebody recommended about withdrawn and it said you need to taper very slowly e.g for at least six weeks even if you've only been on them a month. I was on Citalopram for years and did this with them but then I wasn't having such severe side affects and anxiety at that time.  I am now getting myself in a state thinking I just couldn't cope with another 6 weeks of feeling this bad...how am I going to come of these without turning into a complete head Case?.. I wish I had gone with my instinct and never started them in the first place...I am crying now with the worry. I now have anxiety about the anxiety....anyone else managed to come off them a bit easier and any tips? What if I still don't feel right after I stop them? I am frightened they have done something to my whole system now that isn't reversible. I know I am probably catastrophising as usual but so sick of feeling so bad. X

jedigirl

Re: Coming off Sertraline...any advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 10:10:23 AM »

Justjules,
I was on Sertraline but hated them. When i asked for a change to Citalopram i was told i could go straight from one to the other. I don't know if it was the right advice but i was ok. Would you be able to go back on Citalopram if you still need an AD?
JG

Justjules

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 10:13:11 AM »

No, JG, I had to come off them a while ago as there are contraindications now with my betablockers, sotalol. I don't want another one as I am too frightened now of the side affects.

jedigirl

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 10:18:04 AM »

Then you just need to take it slowly and deal with the effects as they happen. It may be much easier than you think. In fact the Sertraline may have made you feel worse. Use the diazepam on your worst days and take comfort in the fact you have them if you need them.

Keep us posted xx

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 10:19:22 AM »

Sending my best wishes to you

Justjules

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 10:20:38 AM »

I hope so. Thanks ladies. X

coldethyl

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 11:57:47 AM »

Friend was on them at higher dose and just stopped taking them with little problem other than a bit of light headed feeling and headache. My mum gradually cut her dose and was fine.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 12:14:12 PM »

You could try stopping them and seeing if there are awful feelings?    It *WILL* get better!

I have never been warned not to take ADs with betablockas  :-\ - do you get on OK with the one you take?  Let us know how you get on?

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 04:42:16 PM »

I was on sertraline for nearly 2 years, a long time ago when I had PND. I didn't like how it made me feel, robotic and wired all the time (though not nearly as anxious as before taking it).

When I told my GP I wanted to come off it, he just swapped me to Prozac as that is much easier to come off (due to its very long half life, I think).

He told me to stay on Prozac for 6 weeks then taper off over 4 weeks. But about 4 weeks in, I forgot to pack the Prozac when I went on holiday, so I just went cold turkey off them (not to be advised though). Head felt a bit buzzy, but otherwise no side effects.

A couple of years ago I tried Sertraline again when I first started getting anxiety and mood swings, thanks to peri. It made me feel 10 times worse, I felt I was losing my mind and my anxiety shot through the roof. I persevered with it for 4 weeks, but just couldn't stand it any longer so swapped to Amitriptyline which was lovely.

My GP admitted that some people can't tolerate Sertraline and it can exacerbate their anxiety.

Justjules

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 06:15:08 PM »

CKLD, it's only contraindications with certain betablockers and certain ADs which has come to light apparently. I happily took them together for the best part of 10 years on and off and now apparently it can cause (rare) reactions with heart rhythm or sudden death!! It's Citalopram and sotalol that don't mix.

Well asked the pharmacist for advice but she said do what GP said and there shouldn't be any probs but then someone on here recommended a website for withdrawal that is supposed to be good and it said only taper 10% every six weeks....at that rate I'd still be on them for months! I will keep on with the 3/4 tab for a few days then half. Thankfully, I was only up to the 50mg dose for two weeks or so. I can't believe that each day I've felt worse than the last, it's getting me down now.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 06:47:17 PM »

Just to reassure you Justjules that sertraline sent my anxiety through the roof, and made me feel so ill that I had to take time off work. I could only stick the side effects for 4 weeks before giving up.

But it didn't do any permanent damage to my brain chemistry, I can promise you. Although I totally understand you worrying that it might, as the side effects can feel so extreme and nasty. It did take a little while for the horrible 'echoes' of how horrible it had made me feel, though.

Justjules

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 12:56:43 PM »

Thanks GRL for that reassurance.  I am feeling dreadful still, mainly in the mornings as all us anxious folk do, felt so ill when I woke up on Saturday morning I was going to drag myself to a&e because I didn't think anxiety could make you feel that bad but then yesterday just did a lot of 'self-talk' when I woke up and told myself it would pass eventually and I'd just have to get on with it until it does.  I am in work today after a real effort to get up during the worst part of the anxiety and am only just now coming round after sitting here feeling awful all morning.  Apart from the fact that I looked knackered because I haven't had a full night's sleep for 6 weeks since starting the Sertraline, everybody must think I'm okay.

What's really hurt me today and caused me to feel ill when I first got in was that the other secretary (who is also a younger friend of mine, who I have supported through various rough patches over the years) had been exchanging emails (I have access to her inbox and need to check stuff now and again but obviously she isn't aware of it, she has mine too) with another colleague in the office saying that I wasn't 'pulling my weight' at work and 'I'd better be careful' as nobody knew what I was doing all day as she was picking stuff up that I had apparently left...... I was really shocked and could have just run out.  I thought, how dare they.....they have no idea how this last 6 weeks have been hell and that I have struggled in work, struggled to be here, especially last week when I felt so ill but because she was off on leave I daren't be off, and yes, I hold my hand up, probably haven't been as productive as usual but she only works 3 days a week and she doesn't know just what I have got done or been doing!!!  I am furious.  There's obviously been some sort of office conversation when I'm not in on a Friday but some of the facts she has said are simply not true.  One of the girls in the other office asked could she pick up some typing as she was bored and had nothing to do and now they think this girl was picking it up because I couldn't be bothered.  Thankfully, when I was really bad and in a state last week when they were all out and called HR up to speak to, they fully supported how I felt but this 'friend' doesn't know about this or how bad I was feeling.  She had put  in the email "oh she is a worrier, she constantly thinks she's got cancer - she needs to get back on her happy pills".....if only they knew the hell that was HA and this age.  I only hope she never suffers like this.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 01:02:36 PM »

That is un-professional.   :bang:

Is she aware that you can access her e-mails and why are you in a position to do so?  Is anyone in HR able to access company messages, if so then ask them to have a look-see.  Point out that they need to deal with this type of office gossip and if the facility is available, should be checking each e-mail on a daily basis?

If you don't get any joy with HR then confront the person concerned.  Take her out for a coffee on neutral ground? explain how ill you have been and thank her for supporting you whilst you have been poorly.  See what her reaction is, at the very least she should blush and bluster. 

Does HR at your place of work request Medical Reports from GPs?  The Company for which I worked did so if a person was off sick for longer than 12 weeks. 

:bighug:

Justjules

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 01:51:19 PM »

Yes, I am in a position to access her emails, and she can mine.  We are both the secretaries to the employment team and sometimes one of the lawyers will ask us to check if something has been sent so we need access to each other's inboxes.  I suppose the only thing they would say is that I shouldn't be looking at ones that don't concern me....so maybe I would be the one in trouble.

Not sure about medical report access by HR.  HR know I have been to the drs etc. 

To be honest CKLD, I can't cope with the extra stress at the moment with feeling so bad already.

coldethyl

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 01:58:06 PM »

As hard as it is JJ, you would be better just to ignore this. Sometimes people don't realise that what they are saying is as hurtful as it is, and I do think that unless you've experienced mental illness yourself , it is easy to think that we can just snap out of it.
Take your time and think of yourself. Your job can wait and you have explained to HR what is happening so that is the important stuff done.
Xx
Pages: [1] 2 3