Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Finally, blood test results!  (Read 2632 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Finally, blood test results!
« on: February 17, 2016, 11:00:10 AM »

Had my bloods taken at the Meno Clinic just before Xmas, and it's taken this long for them to send them to my GP.

When I had them done, I was wearing 50mg patches but the clinic GP said they'd factor that in when diagnosing the results.

These are my results, can anyone interpret them for me? I would be very grateful:

Oestradiol = 305 pmol/L

FSH = 6.2   U/L

LH = 13.8   U/L

My thyroid function was 1.3 mU/L

Thank you

Hurdity

Re: Finally, blood test results!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 11:33:46 AM »

Hi GypsyRoseLee

What point in your (HRT) cycle did you have the blood tests done - do youknow? I would be pleased personally with an oestrogen level like that all the time but I am post-menopausal. If you are peri-menopausal then this is fine for some points in the cycle but not just before ovulation - although I doubt this is the reading from then?

Once you take HRT you can't tell a lot really from the FSH level - which is low in your case - because oestrogen suppresses it, as far as I understand. Not sure about LH - it surges around ovulation but not sure what happens when using HRT. Here is the ref range:

0.5-14.5 females follicular and luteal phase
    16-84 at ovulation
    17-75 postmenopausal

http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=476774467

If the thryoid function was the usual TSH then that's a very good low reading ie normal healthy thyroid function!

Hurdity x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 11:41:53 AM »

Hi Hurdity

When I had these bloods done it was Dec. 15th, and I started my period on Dec. 27th. It was a 'natural' period as I hadn't taken any progesterone to cause a withdrawal bleed.

This natural period came about 35 days after the withdrawal bleed I had when coming off the BCP.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 11:55:06 AM »

Sorry, to simplify Hurdity. When I had these bloods done it had been about 5 weeks since my last withdrawal bleed, and I'd just been wearing a 50mg patch since then, with no progesterone.

I still went on to have a natural period just over a week after the bloods were taken.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 12:29:31 PM »

Here is the GP ref range for estradiol in pmol/l:
http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=570818627

70-510 females: early fol. phase (day 5)

390-1480 females: preovulatory peak

70-600 females: luteal phase

< 130 post-menopausal

If it was 300 (pmol/l)then that seems normal for half-way through the luteal phase - which I presume you were approx at if you had a period a week later.

Also I don't know much about BCP and what effect this has on residual hormone levels eg LH and FSH?

What are you wanting to find out from blood tests and had your doc/the meno clinic asked to see you again re these results? At least you will be able tot ake them to Annie Evans when you go  (soon!) :)

Hurdity x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 12:40:15 PM »

Thank you Hurdity. Sounds like my results are normal, even taking the 50mg patches into consideration.

I had taken the BCP for nearly 4 months, but have no idea how long it might have stayed in my system? Possibly not that long, as you can supposedly get pregnant if you just miss one tablet?

The Meno doctor requested I have these bloods done, but I have heard nothing more from her. I am meant to have another appointment in April with the Meno Clinic, but if all things go well with Annie Evans I probably won't bother going.

I don't know if Annie Evans will want to see them, but will take them just in case.