Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Premature meno - when to stop HRT  (Read 2937 times)

Lucy151

Premature meno - when to stop HRT
« on: February 15, 2016, 10:51:14 PM »

Hi, I'm new to the forum, I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I used to be a member of the Daisy Network as I was diagnosed with primary ovarian failure in my teens. I've been on one form of HRT or another since I was 19, and have never had a natural period, just withdrawal bleeds. I've had to stop my HRT a couple of times in my lifetime, for tests, and experience menopause symptoms within a couple of weeks.

I was told I could keep taking HRT until about 55 years of age, but the last few years have been a bit of a nuisance - I've been on conti HRT but it hasn't stopped my bleeds, so a single missed pill and I'll bleed unpredictably. I've talked it over with my clinic. I tried Evorel Conti and it worked well, but unfortunately a course of trimethoprim kicked off an allergic reaction to the patches so I had to go back to the pills.

I'm going to be 50 this year, and I'm fed up with periods and with blood glucose changes associated with the bleeds (I have type 1 diabetes). I'm thinking of asking about stopping my HRT when I go to clinic in May.

Is there anyone else here who had premature menopause and has gone through it again after stopping HRT? I want some help with deciding if the time is right for me, before I speak to the clinic.

Taz2

Re: Premature meno - when to stop HRT
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 11:30:36 PM »

Hi Lucy151 Welcome to the forum - lots of help and support on here.

If you've been on HRT for some time due to either premature or surgical menopause it seems to be quite common to come off at around the age of 50/51 which is deemed to be the "normal" age of menopause to see whether you get symptoms or not. If you do and they are troublesome then you can restart. Fifty five is no longer considered to be the age at which you have to come off by the way. You can still use HRT into your sixties and beyond as long as your overall health is ok i.e. blood pressure etc.

Hope this helps. Someone with more first hand experience will be along soon I'm sure.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 12:32:51 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Lucy151
What a tough time you have had.
I started my menopause in my mid 30s and was fortunately advised to use HRT till I was 60!!!!  I am now about to turn 60 and have used HRT on and off for over 23 years now. Like you I got fed up with having the withdrawals bleeds and took myself off HRT aged 49 and struggled for 3 years with flushes, night sweats etc. which didn't subside.  I then went to a meno clinic and tried various continuous HRT types but ended up with a Mirena coil and separate oestrogen in the form of a gel that you apply once a day to inner thighs.  This combination proved very good because after the first few weeks all bleeding stopped and I was able to use as little or as much oestrogen as I needed to keep my menopause symptoms under control.
What concerns me from what you are telling us, is that you are getting bleeds despite being on a continuous HRT - or are you back on sequential HRT pills?  Do tell us what you are taking now?  If you are on a conti HRT then you shouldn't be bleeding!!!!   
As you experienced bad meno symptoms when coming off HRT before, I suspect you may experience this again and some advice about alternatives should offered.
I expect you have been unable to have children so if they do suggest a Mirena then some anaesthetic might be needed to get it in  If they offer a full investigation under anaesthetic they will often put the Mirena in at the same time which can be great.
I took another break from HRT when I was 57(when my Mirena had run out of progesterone) and after a year went back on again (different HRT this time) but had some erratic bleeding that was a nuisance.  I came off everything again 5 weeks ago and its not too bad so far so I'm not sure whether I will try HRT or not - I wouldn't rule it out as 'quality of life' is very important.
There are a lot of benefits for your health if you can use HRT until your mid 50s so it's worth experimenting to find something that suits you. A continuous regime would mean you don't get the variations in blood sugar levels.
Do read up all the info on this site - especially under TREATMENTS at the top of this page. Keep posting.  DG x

Lucy151

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 09:34:05 PM »

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. I know I shouldn't be bleeding on continuous HRT - it has been investigated but there isn't a problem. I'm currently on Femoston Conti.

I will talk to the clinic about trying a different HRT. Years ago they were reluctant to place coils in women with type 1 diabetes because of the added infection risk but this might have changed.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 11:40:58 AM »

Hi Lucy151

:welcomemm: from me too

Hurdity :) x

Lucy151

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 04:21:53 PM »

Thanks Hurdity - hi!