Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Can't take any more worry  (Read 13701 times)

jedigirl

Can't take any more worry
« on: February 08, 2016, 06:08:26 PM »

I'm sorry ladies but going to offload a little. I have had a pain in my left side on and off for a while now but lately it's been there alot. It feels like a burning pain sometimes around my hip area sometimes into my back or bum.
Had a urine test at GPs which they just did dip test on despite saying they were sending it away. That seemed fine so now the GP has ordered a CA125 test.  He didn't seem convinced I needed one but has asked for it anyway and I'm panicking now in case it shows something awful. I can't have it done till Thursday and then will have to await results so have a week of worrying now. I honestly don't think i can cope any more with all the worry at home and feeling rubbish. I'm so tired and generally achy, feel 100. I've looked up the symptoms of ovarian cancer and they don't really fit but what if? Want to time travel forward a week.

Tinkerbell

Re: Can't take any more worry
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 06:17:29 PM »

I don't know how old you are, but my doctor said ovarian cancer is rare, although not unheard of, in women under 60.

coldethyl

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 06:20:30 PM »

Could possibly be endometriosis. I have had pains like that on and off for years and I have endo on my ovaries and bowel etc . The scar tissue can cause a burning intense itching feeling in  my side.
X

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 06:23:15 PM »

I think the CA125 test is just a precaution jedigirl. I had one when I had some bowel problems. It's not only used for ovarian cancer. You may find this reassuring

"Is CA 125 testing useful as a cancer screening test?

Although CA 125 is a useful test in monitoring women who are being treated for ovarian cancer, a single CA 125 test is not considered to be a useful screening test for cancer. Some women with ovarian cancer (up to 20%) never have elevated CA 125 levels, while most women who do have elevated CA 125 levels do not have cancer. In fact, because CA 125 can be elevated in so many noncancerous conditions, only about 3% of women with elevated CA 125 levels have ovarian cancer"

Taz x

jedigirl

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 06:41:39 PM »

Thank you all
I'm trying to be sensible but this is pushing me over the edge. I was barely coping before with everything anyway but another worry is too much.
I hope it is a precaution Taz but still worry about the fact i have pain.

BrightLight

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 06:50:56 PM »

Sending you a hug JediGirl - it's horrible to feel so overwhelmed and everything becomes scary :( 

I would also think this is precaution or maybe they almost HAVE to do the test if there a persistant symptom is presented that is on a list.  What I mean is, as the GP didn't think you really needed one, it seems that maybe it really is protocol as opposed to any thought that there might be something wrong.  Then if you get the pain again or continuing it would help the GP move to another line of investigation - perhaps it's in a matrix of steps to take, as it were.

It's good you don't recognise any other concerning symptoms.  I have had a burning type pain on and off over the last year, it always seemed to be around ovulation (though I'm not sure I am doing that anymore!) but hip pain came with it and coccyx pain too.  It was never constant, by that I mean, unrelenting for weeks.  I took that as a sign it was not 'serious' - not sure if that was correct or not, but the pains have gone away for now and still not sure what it was. 

I can really see how this is worrying you and I hope that it calms down for you and the test will prove fine and even better you get to the bottom of what the pain is. x

jedigirl

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 06:55:58 PM »

Brightlight
You have just described exactly what my pain is like, i always thought it was ovualation. It usually lasted a short while, and went again. Funnily enough i had a very light period this month, barely used a liner each day. Am wondering if it's my ovary trying to kick something out before it gives up. I never feel it on the right side though, maybe thats given up already. I just wish i knew what it was.

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 07:12:26 PM »

Hello jedigirl.

I just wanted to send you a hug and say that I'm so sorry you've had this extra worry. We have so many weird and wonderful pains at this time in our lives it's no wonder we feel overwhelmed. Other ladies recognise your pain so I would take comfort from that and assume it's another horrible meno symptom. Plus I think a CA 125 test is pretty standard, I've had several over the years for different problems.

I hope you feel calmer soon and wish you well.
Take care.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 07:26:04 PM »

Jedigirl - did your GP not explain why he was ordering this test?  Have a look on the Ovacome web-site.  Ask questions there!   :bighug:

Tinkerbell - I think that in this case, your GP is incorrect.  Again, I point you in the direction of the above web-site.  It's how I arrived here  ::) ………

BrightLight

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 07:28:55 PM »

Jedigirl - ha ha. I didn't want to put forth the theory about the ovary trying really hard to bring forth an egg, but I wondered that myself. I have had endless theories, or maybe a transient cyst.... I hate the thought of the ovary still working and no eggs, so I am going to put that out of my mind before I send myself off into another bout of despair ;)  I am trying to be humorous in the face of my new position, which is quite often sitting on the edge of anxiety. 

I also had a really light period after the last mid cycle pain and mine is always on the same side as well.  In my 20's I had more noticeable ovulation pain, again on that side, never hip pain though. 

Take care and try to keep an open mind. xx

jedigirl

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 07:32:49 PM »

Brightliight I'm on that edge with you, we can drag each other back!
CLKD I think he wasn't sure where to go with it and ummed and ahhed a bit before ordering it. I just wish it were sooner than Thursday so I can get on with it.

groundhog

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 08:01:54 PM »

Hello jedigirl,
Been reading your posts and really sympathise with the massive stress you are under.  As everyone else has said it's probably just a precaution.  Be assured though that even if it is elevated it does not mean cancer.  Infact it's not a very reliable test for cancer - I went through years of elevated ca125 yet it was all down to fibroids and endometriosis,  both of which can also cause the type of pain you are describing.
When you are under so much stress as are,  everything becomes too much.  The bucket analogy helps me - imagine her like a bucket of water,  it's full to the top,  the tiniest extra drop of water into the bucket makes its overflow.   When the bucket empties a bit,  it can cope with the extra water.  I know what I'm like - I feel I can't cope with anything when my bucket is full. 
It's hard not to worry but please try - what about meditation,  would that help ?

jedigirl

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 08:08:48 PM »

Thank you groundhog, so kind of you to reply when you have a lot on yr own plate. Yes I'm certainly overflowing at the moment. Not sure how I'll manage work this week but I will go in as it will distract me. I'll certainly put a meditation on at bedtime thanks xx

countrybumpkin

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 08:20:23 PM »

I am hoping this will put your mind at rest a little.  My Gp likes to do a CA125 test on ladies in their 40's so he has a baseline for any future tests. I had an ovarian cyst in my mid 40's and had to have the test then as well as an mri scan ( I was scared as well!) and now I have this test once a year ( I have family history of ovarian cancer) so they would see any rise that was not normal for me.

They don't use it for mass screening as it can give false positives in one off tests.  My family members who had ovarian cancer has results in the 200's not just slightly elevated levels.

Sorry for the wait, I too am a nervous wreck every year waiting for my results.

jedigirl

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 08:30:04 PM »

Thank you country bumpkin, I'm trying hard to be sensible but when the pain is there it overrides sense 🙄Will prob take some diazepam tomorrow to get me to work and just get me through the week. Am hoping pain settles then I'll cope better xx
Pages: [1] 2 3