Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Isoflavones and Lignans in diet  (Read 3323 times)

Dorothy

Isoflavones and Lignans in diet
« on: February 06, 2016, 10:50:47 PM »

Been lent a 'natural menopause' book which recommends eating foods containing isoflavones (soya, chickpeas etc) and lignans (linseed, almonds etc) throughout the day to control menopausal symptoms.  It claims that consuming 100mg of these can remove or reduce menopausal symptoms.

Wondered if anyone has any experience of this and if so, how well it worked?  I'm a bit sceptical as the book makes a lot of sweeping judgements about non-natural treatments (it's a wonder that anyone taking HRT lives for longer than 3 months if you believe all they say!) and doesn't make any differentiation between an early menopause and a 'normal' one.  But I thought it might be worth a try - just had a horrible few days on my BCP break and I'll even drink soya milk (  :sick02:  ) if it will stop it happening again!

Hurdity

Re: Isoflavones and Lignans in diet
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 12:24:08 PM »

Hi Dorothy

I was just logging off and saw this so haven't time to look in detail - there is some info on this site about these and lots of scientific literature. http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/phytoestrogens.php

From what I've read at low doses they can have weak oestrogenic effect but I'm sure I read at higher doses they can block the effect of our own oestrogen but don't quote me on that!

If they have a weak effect then they clearly can't be as effective as oestrogen itself. When I was peri-menopausal I took Black Cohosh and a diet rich in phtyo-oestrogens (lots of different seeds) - but didn't take any other supplements. I did think they worked at the time, but the decrease in flushes was either because there was a very weak effect or because my own hormone levels were fluctuating - because as I got into late peri-menopause nothing worked except HRT.

In your position - I seem to remember you are very young and have a very early menopause ( sorry if I've got that wrong) so would definitely be looking to take oestrogen at least untl the natural average age of menopause of 51/52.

I can understand your frustration with the BCP - which one is it? Remember there is Qlaira which contains bio-identical oestrogen so is more "natural" than the synthetic , and has only 2 tablet free days so you would't get the same dip, although still has synthetic progestogen.

The other alternative is to go completely "natural" or bio-identical and have oestrogen - patch or gel with micronised progesterone (Utrogestan).

If 100 mg would eliminate menopausal symptoms there would be literature to back this up and I for one would have been doing this as I wanted to do everything naturally! Anyway I do eat lots of this type of food - I eat quite a lot of nuts every day and beans and pulses too but my flushes still return if I reduce my HRT patch!

Hurdity x :)

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 02:39:25 PM »

Thanks Hurdity - I had done a search on the MM website, but I'm useless at searching & didn't find anything!  I'm not planning on ditching the BCP (I agree that at 40, I need it).  Just looking for ways to reduce symptoms alongside using the pill.  According to the article, it seems as if I would have to eat enormous quantities of these foods to make a noticeable difference. Oh well, at least it saves me from having to drink soya milk!

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 06:32:43 PM »

Hello Dorothy.

I agree with Hurdity but I just wanted to say that Soya milk is much better when chilled I find. Also nuts and seeds are very good for our overall health. Infact I was reading about  lignans the other day and was impressed with their benefits, of course now I can't remember what they were so improved memory clearly isn't one of them lol!

Wishing you well.

K.