Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Magnesium  (Read 8217 times)

Chi chi

Magnesium
« on: January 11, 2016, 11:13:03 PM »

Just wanted some advice really, my restless legs have been really playing up lately and I've been reading how magnesium is supposed to help with not only rls but also anxiety! I couldn't find any info on exactly how much is recommended for either of these conditions or which is the best?
Does anyone else take it for either rls or anxiety?
Thanks in advance  :)

Ju Ju

Re: Magnesium
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 07:53:40 AM »

DH has RLS, but has been using a magnesium spray, which has made a difference. I know all about it if he forgets to use it before coming to bed! It was recommended by his chiropractor.

Beckybecks

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 08:32:32 AM »

Try tonic water for restless legs

marras

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 03:13:41 PM »

Have been looking on Gransnet and there is a thread running at the moment on the forum in the Health section about magnesium. Several people are using magnesium for RLS and insomnia with great success. They are using the spray rather than taking it orally as it can cause digestive upsets. Worth trying anyway.

rantywoman

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 08:45:47 PM »

I've been using chelated Magnesium Bisglycinate 150mg from Holland and Barretts and found it ok. If taken before bedtime it helps me sleep a bit better and it seems to be helping my twitching leg muscles.  Another plus is it stops me becoming constipated but doesn't cause stomach upsets either.
I've read that chelated Magnesium is absorbed better than other types and is much better than Magnesium oxide,most of that doesn't get absorbed apparently.

Kate50

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 08:55:50 PM »

A chelated magnesium is always best way to take it but you should always take with the right ratio of calcium. The liquid form of magnesium works better for sleep and gentler on the gut. It's also alkaline.  Some people can be allergic to putting it straight onto the skin.

holidaylover

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 04:27:56 PM »

Just purchased some magnesium spray as tablet form didn't do with my bowels. Trying it to see if it's any help with my tingly legs, but when I've sprayed directly onto skin it really burns snd stings.  I also found it gave me palpitations, so certainly didn't aid sleep.  Wondering if any one has sprayed it into bath water instead with results.  Don't know if what I felt is normal to begin with or not. X

Kate50

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 04:31:25 PM »

Lol!  Sorry did say that. dont put it in Bath the hot water will make it worse!  Liquid magnesium shouldn't upset your gut but you would have to get on line

Ju Ju

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 06:58:43 PM »

On the magnesium spray I used, it says it is normal to sting at first and indicates you are low in magnesium levels and that should subside. Be sparing at first. I found the unpleasant stinging subsides after using it for a while. There is a version for sensitive skin available from Holland and Barrett's. I have found it does help with sleep and with DH's rls. Shame it doesn't help with snoring!

Dorothy

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 10:40:11 PM »

I eat a banana every day.  If I go more than 1 day without , it comes back again.

holidaylover

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 09:00:56 AM »

Well, tried the spray again last night, two squirts onto each forearm.  It really stings the skin, and didn't make any difference to sleep pattern.  Up this morning and legs are ****ling away already, so gonna spray on some more. Feels like I have RLS but only feel it through the day, never when I'm lying in bed at night.  I also eat a banana every day!  I'm going to persevere to see if it eventually makes a difference.  At my wits end so will give anything a go.

Kate50

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 09:49:23 AM »

I think you will find its the Pottasium in banana that helps with sleep its anti stress so must keep your body calmer for sleep.  Not sure there is enough magnesium to do the job.

Dorothy

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 11:09:04 AM »

No idea Kate50, all I know is that if I go more than 24 hours without a banana, the twitching and jumping comes back and drives me crazy.  I would have thought if the banana was just making me feel less stressed, then I should sleep well shortly after eating one, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on that - so I could miss eating my banana tomorrow, sleep well tomorrow night and be driven mad the next day by the jumps.  I've gone through phases of giving up bananas as I don't like eating them, but every time the jumping drives me crazy and I have to start eating them again.