Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Very painful, burning breasts 30 years after surgery  (Read 2019 times)

Beckybecks

Very painful, burning breasts 30 years after surgery
« on: January 09, 2016, 10:13:16 PM »

I've had painful breasts for two months now  Not all the time, the pain comes and goes.  I started taking Evening Primrose and Starflower oil capsules and as the pain disappeared for a while I thought that had done the trick. 

But it's back and as painful as ever.  It's not just the nipples but the whole breast  which has a burning feel and the pain even seems to radiate into my back somehow.  But as suddenly as it arrives it can be gone an hour later just as suddenly.

I spoke to the doctor.  All he said was that it's normal and I should avoid caffeine.  Which I do anyway. (I had a clear mammogram less than a year ago)

I was wondering if anyone on here has had breast surgery some years back (mine was 30 years ago) and has had similar experiences. and I wondered whether it's due to nerves that were cut or something.

Does anyone know?  I would really appreciate some feedback.

I'm 59 by the way.

Beckybecks

Re: Very painful, burning breasts 30 years after surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 06:20:14 PM »

Does nobody have painful breasts?  I would just love some reassurance as I have health anxiety and this is driving me crazy with worry.  Stupid I know but anxiety seems to go hand in hand with menopause......

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 07:14:42 PM »

I know that if I do too much weeding the scar under my affected breast gets sore. I have to remind myself that it's due to surgery in the 1990s.

Where are you in your menstrual cycles/menopause?  Doctors can seem so dismissive when we are worried particularly when we've had surgery  ::)

I believe that evening primrose oil capsules can help with breast pain? 

Yep - we have threads about health anxiety on here  - have you read them?

Beckybecks

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 09:58:53 PM »

Thank you for replying.  I thing the anxiety exaggerates the pain.  It's definitely there but probably not as bad as I imagine. 
I'm 58 and about 5 years since my last period.
I'm taking the evening primrose capsules as someone on here suggested. Could be that I need a stronger dose.  But I do think the cold has something to do with it.  Maybe I need to take a holiday in the tropics LOL.
I've noticed there's a lot if posts about health anxiety so I'm guessing this is quite common during menopause years.  Unfortunately.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 03:08:39 PM »

It is unlikely to be sinister if the same sensations are in both breasts.  Are you taking the 'correct' Evening Primrose Capsules, sometimes there is more filler than product so maybe speak with a Pharmacist and someone in Holland and Barrett.  I was thinking of you as I dropped off to sleep last night when I laid heavily on 1 side  ::)