Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bleed/Smearing and Cramping with Kliofem 2mg/1mg (Estradiol and Norethisterone)  (Read 17728 times)

BreadFruit

A month has passed since I started on Kliofem 2mg/1mg (2mg Estradiol and 1mg norethisterone acetate)

And exactly on the 28th day I started getting slight cramps and a day late it started to smear. Today the cramps were bad enough for me to take an Ibuprofen. Its not bleeding hard, just smearing a lot. Luckily I still had some pads around.

I also feel quite bloated, have motions a couple of times a day (I always had this issue when having my periods before menopause), have piles and I start to get the urge to clean the house (which is not a bad thing)  ::) Then there are the spots coming back, also a side effect of the HRT I guess.

This annoys me because I had no period for over a year and now this. But at least I have no hot flushes.

The last couple of days I am also feeling a bit down, where before I was feeling fantastic. I can really notice the difference to my activity levels. I also feel quite tired all day long. I have signed up to a couple of courses just to get me out of the house as I cannot work anyway due to the weather and also because I am recovering from a carpal tunnel operation I had in November. I saw the surgeon about that yesterday as I have this ache in the wrist. Lucky me I am the few people who seem to have pillar pain which is very seldom. The scar is healing nicely, but the scar area in the palm is quite sensitive. There is no way that I could use the secateur and do some spring pruning at this time. It would press onto the scar area and the pain is terrible. I was shown how to massage it all the time to desensitise the area. I guess I am also depressed about this as I thought I would be much better ahead already and the healing process is taking too long.

I am continuing to take the HRT. But hope this bleeding stops soon. On the leaflet states that its one of the side effects. I hope it does not become a regular issue.

I was doing so well and hoped that this is the answer to all my problems, but seems the body is not having any of it.

Taz2

It can take up to six months for the breakthrough bleeding or, as in my case, continuous bleeding to stop. It is still early days BreadFruit and hopefully you will gradually begin to feel better as time goes on. If not then it is worth trying a different conti HRT. In the end I got so fed up with the continuous bleeding that I went back onto a sequi patch as at least I only then had bleeding for three days each month.

Taz x

BreadFruit

Thanks Taz

I am still cramping and smearing badly. Last night did not sleep at all. I am completely knackered, but my brain is doing summersaults and I just cannot get to sleep. Then this morning I had some hot flushes. May need to speak to the doctor soon. Maybe I need a higher dose. Just so frustrated.

Will knock back a large glass of vino later, that usually helps getting me to sleep.  :D

dazned

Hi 2mg estrogen is quite high so I dont think you need higher,northisterone is a powerful progesterone however so this is more likely to be what is causing your low mood ,conversely high estrogen can make you feel "wired" so also could explain the trouble sleeping !
 Maybe time rethink the hrt type not a higher dose.

BreadFruit

You may be right Dazned. My period really kicked in today. Will watch it another week. If no joy I will go and see my HRT GP.

Its driving me nuts. I actually had to scavenge through all the house, old bags and backpacks looking for pads.  ::) ::) ::)

Taz2

This is normal for the first few months on a conti HRT. It may settle down - six months is the time it might take though - it is a bit soon to return to your GP really.

Taz x

BreadFruit

OK Thanks. I am just a bit confused, I thought there would be no proper periods. Well, will give it some more time.

At least I have you ladies here to bounce off any concerns.  :-*

Hurdity

Hi Breadfruit

You are right that you don't get proper periods on continuous combined HRT if you are post-menopausal but as Taz says bleeding and spotting is common initially. It is not a proper period or even a withdrawal bleed but due to the settling in - if your lining had thickened a little during the 12 months without periods then it will gradually come away and be thinned by the progestogen.

Hurdity x

BreadFruit

I have had a bleed for at least 10 days now. It's not a spotting kind of scenario. Enough to have to wear pads and the constant cramping is not nice. But I will continue taking the tablets. The lining was probably quite thick as its somewhat gritty. If its not one thing then its something else, eh?!?

BreadFruit

Changed my mind. Last night was so bad. I have not had cramps and bleeds like that for years.

I have stopped taking the HRT. Will watch this space and see if I can get an appointment to see my HRT GP lady in the next few days.

BreadFruit

Second day off HRT. Still bleeding like a pig with cramps. But at least the breasts have shrunken down and are no longer so painful.

Also tired, but no longer "wired" and tired. I think I am anemic, so have to take more iron tablets. Cannot wait for this to end.

Taz2

Just want to say that it's not wise to play around with iron tablets - get your blood tested first so that you have a starting point. You can overdose on iron - not pleasant! What symptoms do you have to make you think you are anaemic?

Glad you are feeling a bit better today.

Taz x

BreadFruit

Hi Taz

I have always been anemic when I used to have my periods. I was prescribed high dose iron tablets, but I don't have those anymore. So I am just taking normal over the counter iron tablets from Boots. One of the symptoms of having a really bad period is loss of appetite. I have none whatsoever. Just feeling thirsty.

I still need to take ibuprofen. The cramps are quite bad. I will also have to go out and buy pads again. I had hoped to see the end of them.

Yesterday evening I could feel some slight flushes starting up again. I mean come on!!!!!! Flushes and a period, give me strength!!!!

If I was in Germany, they would have removed my womb already. Here they wont do it unless I have cancer or some serious medical condition. Argument being that I may wish to have another child. Really???? I am 50 now, there is NO WAY I would want a baby. Grandchildren yeah, but myself reproducing, hell no! My husband had the snip when our son was 2 years old. Because I did not want any more kids. Being pregnant was horrible.

I have always suffered over my periods. I lost jobs over it because I was too bad and could not work. Always crossing fingers it would start on a Friday so I had the rest of the weekend to suffer at home. I was hoping for early menopause. But this is just as much hell as just having periods.

Sorry, I am just feeling quite miserable and whiny.

Taz2

Sorry to hear that you are still feeling rubbish. I didn't realise that you had stopped the HRT until I read a few posts back just now. The bleeding will continue I suppose due to the withdrawal of the progesterone which induces the womb lining to shed.

I think that a blood test to check your iron levels would be sensible. I had heavy periods for a long time but didn't become anaemic. Strangely enough I did develop slight anaemia once mine stopped but three months of iron tablets sorted it out and I don't take them anymore.

It may be better for you to use a sequi HRT where you would know when the bleeding was going to occur and it would only last a few days?

Taz x  :hug:

BreadFruit

Still off the HRT. Today the bleeding has nearly stopped. Just a bit of smearing. The last two days I have had a miserable migraine, stayed in bed most of yesterday. I used to get them as well when period was near the end. Flushes are coming back but not so bad. I hope to see my GP on Monday.

And I have the munchies now. I really need to watch myself. Drinking lots of water, but does not seem to help much. I also weighed myself and I put on 6 pounds in not even 4 weeks. I am so shocked! Wondering how that happened because I have not bought any sweets or cakes and have not baked anything since just after Christmas.
Pages: [1] 2