Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hello everyone - new and about to start Utrogestan  (Read 2851 times)

MrsJD

Hello everyone - new and about to start Utrogestan
« on: January 05, 2016, 08:39:24 PM »

Hi ladies, well I am post menopause and for a few years was happily going through it with Mirena (had Mirena pre menopause for heavy period problems) and Elleste Solo patches, had my 3rd Mirena 5 years ago but had to have it put in under general anaesthetic due to cervix going into spasm and was told that once that had been in 5 years I couldn't have another one due to costs and risks etc.  So in Sept last year Mirena was removed and I went on Femseven Conti patches and was allergic to the adhesive in Patches, then tried Femoston Conti and felt absolutely dreadful, very low mood, hardly any sleep at all so today I have gone back onto Elleste Solo Patches and Utrogestan 100mg continuous.  Keeping everything crossed that this works as I start a new job on Monday and really need to be able to function better than I have been doing over the past couple of months.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello everyone - new and about to start Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 08:41:33 PM »

:welcomemm:

were you told that 5 years ago or recently?  I don't think that a treatment which is known to 'work' and ease symptoms can be put aside due to possible costs!  Back to the GP to see about the Mirena if the regime doesn't help?

Good luck with your new job  :congrats:

MrsJD

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 08:57:51 PM »

Thank you CLKD, I was told 5 years ago that because I wasn't using the Mirena for contraception then the funding was not available to have the next one fitted in a day surgery unit, there was also the risk factor from general anaesthetic, then during the last 5 years I have had several bouts of thrush and BV  which the GP has said was aggravated by the Mirena and all in all it would be better to have it removed.  He did say that if combined HRT did not suit then we could discuss other options.  I'm happy to try different combinations of HRT, there must be something that will fit my symptoms and I'm hopeful that Elleste Solo and Utrogestan might be the right combination for me.  Thank you for congrats on new job, it's a job I have done previously, it's very stressful and long hours but I loved it so need to be a proper functioning human to be able to cope with it :)

Jude

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 05:53:33 PM »

I have just abandoned my Utrogestan after 5 days as it gave me awful sleep problems, hopefully you will be fine though.

Apart from the thrush and fitting problems did you have any other issues with the Mirena? I have never had one but have booked an appointment to get one fitted.

Hope all goes well for you on Monday.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 05:55:58 PM by Tinkerbell »

MrsJD

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 07:13:25 PM »

I have just abandoned my Utrogestan after 5 days as it gave me awful sleep problems, hopefully you will be fine though.

Apart from the thrush and fitting problems did you have any other issues with the Mirena? I have never had one but have booked an appointment to get one fitted.

Hope all goes well for you on Monday.

Thank you, I have sleep problems anyway so don't think the Utrogestan can make it any worse, so sorry it hasn't worked for you.  The first Mirena I had was fabulous and the second one was great until the last 12 months.  Took about 4 - 5 months for periods/spotting to stop completely but after that I had no problems with it all, I'd have another one fitted in a heartbeat, good luck with it.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 07:33:47 PM »

Thank you, hoping the Mirena will work for me, not looking forward to having it put in though.

I wonder if utrogestan didn't work for me as I normally have no problems sleeping! Maybe I should have given it a longer trial  :-\

MrsJD

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 07:39:27 PM »

My first Mirena went in no problem at all, a bit of cramping for an hour or so afterwards but then all was fine, when that was removed my cervix went into spasm so they couldn't get the second one in so had to go into hospital to have it fitted.  It's a minefield this HRT lark isn't it, who knew it would be so difficult to find a combination that worked  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 07:47:41 PM »

Hi MrsJD

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your problems finding the right HRT since having Mirena removed.

As CLKD said - they cannot refuse you this method of giving progestogen on the basis of cost if it's what suits you best. I wonder if having had a rest from the Mirena your cervix would behave itself if you had it put in again so that you would not need a general anaesthetic? Is it not possible to give a local?

Anyway maybe it won't come to that and let's hope the utrogestan combo suits you. Which dose of Elleste solo do you have - I see there are two doses - 40 mcg and 80 mcg? You may find that the utrogestan helps you sleep - it seems to vary in its effect on women in this respect!

Keep us posted as to how you get on :)

Hurdity x

MrsJD

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 08:15:35 PM »

Hi Hurdity, thank you for the welcome.  I have already decided that I will ask for the Mirena again if this combo doesn't work and I will try and have it fitted at the surgery, as you say cervix may behave itself this time and to be honest I didn't have the spasm pain when I had it removed in Sept that I'd had when it was removed 5 years ago, I knew instantly on that occasion that something wasn't right.  I am on the 40 mcg Elleste solo, this was what I was on in conjunction with Mirena and had always worked well at keeping the flushes and night sweats at bay.  I am hoping that the Utrogestan does help with my sleep issues but my main issue is getting rid of this low mood, I'm normally a very upbeat person but the last few months have been vile, poor hubby doesn't know what's hit him :)