Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newbie - hysterectomy two weeks ago - what is happeneing to me ;(  (Read 7308 times)

mothership

Hi  can't believe I have found this site - so much information.

I had a total hysterectomy two weeks ago - they have whipped it all away.
I have just started HRT and feel as though I am the new girl at school and am totally
confused  ???

Hoping there is someone on here who can hold my hand!!

Mothership

Galadriel

Re: Newbie - hysterectomy two weeks ago - what is happeneing to me ;(
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 06:29:13 PM »

Hi mothership and  :welcomemm:

Don't worry, there's loads of us here to hold your hand.

Have a browse of the green menus at the top of that page, they are full of great info.

There's so many lovely ladies on here in the same boat as you who will be along shortly.

Make sure you rest as much as possible and give all the tasks to everyone else.

Galadriel x

carol100

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 07:25:34 PM »

Hi
You will find a lot of info on the Hysterectomy Association website.
You can join in with ladies who have had hysterectomies in the same
Month as you and share symptoms etc. It is very reassuring.
Hope this helps
Carol

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 10:34:52 PM »

:welcomemm:

Welcome mother ship. A few on here have had hysterectomies, me included. Although I kept my ovaries for about 10 years before they too were removed.  HRT  takes a week while to kick in. Ask any questions you like, always someone who can give you support.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 01:12:30 PM by cubagirl »

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 11:52:24 PM »

Hi mothership

Taz x  :welcomemm:

mothership

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 11:29:02 AM »

Thank you ladies - Carol will have a look for that site too. Feels like a very lonely place at the moment.

Its all happened so fast - was admitted ten days after appointment with consultant for the op so with sorting my son's wedding (he got married on the 18th) sorting Christmas and leaving work in the lurch (primary school teacher) I hadn't really thought at all about what would happen after the op - big mistake as it seems to have hit me like a ton of bricks now!  :o
Never mind I'm sure it will be fine.

Here goes with questions - given they have taken everything away I have obviously started this whole horrible menopause game but what are the rules - I'm confused?  Had to go to see GP for HRT and he was very reluctant to give me it. I'm 46 and he kept saying if I was 45 he wouldn't have hesitated?  He is saying I  can take it until Im 50? Is he suggesting this will be done by the time I'm 50 ?  I know I should ask questions but I just sit like a child nodding - and that drives me mad that I can't or won't question 'them'. I feel so stupid - I'm an educated woman but this whole situation is totally alien to me.  What's wrong with me - why don't  I know the answers to what seem like (now) obvious questions???

Mothership

limpy

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 12:45:26 PM »

Hi Mothership

Welcome to the forum  :welcomemm:

You've had a big procedure it's not surprising you feel like s-1t.  Make sure you really rest up to to give yourself chance to properly recover. Also, your hormones will have had a big shock and will be all over the place.

Re your GP saying you can take HRT till you are 50. I believe the thinking has changed a bit in this area.
NICE has produced some guidelines about HRT recently. I was under the impression they were pulling back from the idea of hard and fast rules as to the length of time HRT can be used for.

Is there any chance you could be referred to a meno clinic or speak to another GP?

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 01:20:01 PM »

Thought new guidelines would have helped, obviously not. I'm 59 and I take Oestrogen. My GP was happy enough for me to continue. Prior to new guidelines I was told by meno consultant that cut off age was 60. There now doesn't seem to be a cut off age.

I'd ask for another opinion, be it another GP or referral to meno/gynae clinic. I imagine you will have a check up 6 weeks or so post-op so you could ask then.

Louisa

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 05:25:45 PM »

mothership, you one priority is to give yourself time.  Time to rest and recover, you are human not a robot.

mothership

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 09:03:16 PM »

Thank you for your kind words - I need to be more pro active I know and look into HRT more thoroughly.

Yet another question - yesterday and today I have felt much better surgery recovery wise but have had this weird  wobbly feeling. Not enough to say dizzy but just unstable, miss judging stairs and generally like a jelly.  Could this be the HRT kicking in do you think as have been taking it for 7 days now. I seem to be having less flushes of a day but it is not moving the night ones. I wake up just prior to it starting?  Do I expect the HRT to stop them completely ?

Thanks for your hand holding - makes me feel less alone.  My other half is a lovely man and is looking after me amazingly well but refuses to talk to me about either this menopause business or my hysterectomy - typical put his head in the sand kind of man. :-X

Mother ship

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 11:51:14 PM »

Hi mothership. Are you on a pill type HRT? This can take a while to kick in whereas patches work more quickly in banishing the sweats. It is still early days for you and it can take up to three months before you know if a particular type of HRT suits you so don't feel despondent.

As for your GP saying that you can take it until your 50 I believe that he/she means that at 50 it is the norm for you to come off it just to see what symptoms you still have. If symptoms are still there then you can usually restart HRT.

Have you joined the Hysterectomy UK association? http://www.hysterectomy-association.org.uk/ There is lots of info on there and an active forum. I hope that you are taking it easy?

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 03:45:44 PM »

Hi mothership

:welcomemm:

I agree with the others. You have had a major operation and don't underestimate the physical and mental effects of this. Also re the HRT - the doc is being irresponsible if he did not prescribe it at your age!

I presume you've also read the info on this site:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/aftermeno.php

Also between the ages of 50 and 60 the benefits of HRT are thought to exceed the risks anyway!
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/balance.php

Glad your man is looking after you well - you need it - and hopefully will also come round to being able to discuss it - mind you my husband is not interested in all my internal goings on and what I'm slapping on or poking up and for what reason  ;D

Hurdity x

Catspelle

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 09:21:20 PM »

Hi  can't believe I have found this site - so much information.

I had a total hysterectomy two weeks ago - they have whipped it all away.
I have just started HRT and feel as though I am the new girl at school and am totally
confused  ???

Hoping there is someone on here who can hold my hand!!

Mothership

Catspelle

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 09:25:40 PM »

Hello I am new too! Had TAH/BSO on 14/12/15. After a slow shaky start I am feeling much better but my surgical menopause symptoms have kicked in big time mainly the hot flushes. I'm due to start HRT was told Elleste but when I opened the bag it's something called Zumenon.im 45 just my consultant said I should take it. I'm interested in what HRT you have been prescribed? I too get the wobbly thing I lose my balance sometimes for no reason? I always wake up prior to a hot flush they are horrid!
X

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 11:10:45 AM »

Hi Catspelle. You can read about both products here https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/2089 and here https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/20976

I'm not sure whether you have been given the 1mg or 2mg dose though.

Taz x  :welcomemm:
Pages: [1] 2