Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: progesterone only pill and hormone imbalance  (Read 4975 times)

Brightside23

progesterone only pill and hormone imbalance
« on: December 19, 2015, 10:04:09 AM »

Hi, I am in peri menopause so not getting horrific menopause symptoms just yet. However, I know my hormones are all over the place as it is affecting my skin and I am getting very dry eyes, causing them to be bloodshot at least once a month. I have been on cerazette for years which I understand is a low dose of progesterone and until recently never had any hormone issues.

To help my symptoms, I am trying to work out what is going on with my hormones in my monthly cycle and can't find out much on the internet. Which hormone (estrogen or progesterone?) is increasing or decreasing in which half of the cycle? I'm trying to work out if I should be having more or less estrogen like foods such as flax seeds etc. I'm thinking my dry eyes are caused by estrogen dominance so I might be better cutting them out? How do I naturally increase progesterone?

Thanks

Dancinggirl

Re: progesterone only pill and hormone imbalance
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 01:56:47 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Brightside23
Do read up all the info on this site to get clued up.  It is the drop in oestrogen in peri meno that is the problem. You might be needing a bit of Oestrogel alongside your progesterone to boost your oestrogen levels.  If your skin is ultra dry then Omega oils, Evening primrose and vitamin D are beneficial at this time of life, so I believe, well worth taking.  DG x

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 05:54:17 PM »

Just to say I agree with Dancinggirl, your problems will be due to low oestrogen and I would also recommend the gel to top up your levels.  Dry/blood shot eyes and dry skin are a symptom and I had a mild version of this before taking the gel but now it has cleared up completely along with all the other annoying stuff! 

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 07:58:47 PM »

Hi Brightside23 - from what I recall ( might be wrong) Cezarette contains desogestrel which depresses oestrogen levels so if you are peri-menopausal you don't really want to be taking this all the time. As you say it's difficult to know where you are in mneopause re periods because the POP is suppressing them.

Personally I would want to be either the CCP (you can get bio-identical oestrogen types like Qlaira) or something like the Mirena coil which delivers progestogen mostly just to the uterus and very little into the bloodstream (and acts as a contraceptive too), and then you could add oestrogen in the form of patch or gel and gradually increase the dose as you get further into peri-menopause and your oestrogen levels drop. It may be that you don't need oestorgen just yet if you are only having minor symptoms but I definitely would stop the POP.

You might like to read this article about the peri-menopause which explains what is going on in your body at this time!
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

There is also a lot of informatiom about lifestyle changes etc that are advised at this time too so that you are better able to cope with the changes ahead :)
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diet.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/weightgain.php

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x