Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: VA non hormonal help  (Read 5246 times)

one year in

VA non hormonal help
« on: December 04, 2015, 02:38:12 PM »

Hi ladies,

After a great start last year with vagifem 25 mg (we don't get the 10 mg here) I have had to stop.  Gynaecologist thinks it may be causing cysts to form in my uterus.  I did suffer with endometriosis during my reproductive life so this probably shouldn't surprise me but I am devastated because nothing else (non hormonal) seems to work.  I've tried Replens and various other lubricants but I have severe VA now and these creams seem to be made for peri-menopausal women and only make me more uncomfortable.

Does anyone have any information about the latest non hormonal VA treatment?  I have to go back to the gyn this month but I'd like to be up to date when I talk to her.

Thank you!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: VA non hormonal help
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 03:21:19 PM »

Is there any?   I think you could send a personal e-mail to Dr Currie on here to ask whether it is possible for cysts can be caused by hormone treatment which is, after all, local.  How did you find out by the way  :-\ ……….

Jenna

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 03:24:11 PM »

Hi Hyacinth,

Although I use Estriol Cream twice a week and 'Yes' water-based vaginal moisturiser (a gel) on the other days, I have used just 'Yes' on its own for months with great success. It is available on prescription here, so the NHS must approve of it for our VA problems! Have a look at the 'Yes' website and see what you think!

Jenna x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 03:29:49 PM »

The other product that might be helpful to ease symptoms is LIVE yoghurt - I use Greek type at least applying it is soothing  ;)

one year in

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 07:47:38 PM »

Thanks for your replies ladies!

CKLD the gyn did an ultrasound and found a cyst back in May.  I have to go back now to check it but she took me straight off the vagifem.  I'm wondering if it's because the estrogen is localised (and I believe the 25mg was taken off the market in the UK) - perhaps it would be better to take a pill by mouth?  Live yoghurt is probably not going to help advanced VA but I can imagine it is soothing.  Not hard to get here either!!  I may contact Dr Currie after visiting my gyn here - thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks Jenna, I will look at the Yes website now and mention it to my gyn.  We don't have the same drugs available here in Greece but we may have something similar.  It's so easy these days when you can give a link to your doctor!

Jenna

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 08:22:10 PM »

Hyacinth - just to say you can also buy 'Yes' water-based on Amazon and Ebay, as well as from the 'Yes' website - hope that might help as you are not in the UK!

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 08:39:58 PM »

Hi Hyacinth - I know you are asking about non-hormonal creams, but you could always swap to estriol cream which is much much weaker oestrogen but still has the same beneficial effect on the vaginal tissues. Have a look at the preparations here http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php - there is Ovestin 0.1% or generic estriol ( formerly Gynest) which is weaker (but you use more) at 0.01%.

Hurdity x

one year in

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 01:43:20 PM »

Thanks Hurdity, I will take that list with me to the gynaecologist when I go!  Plucking up the courage to make an appointment at the moment as it is not a very pleasant experience these days.   :(

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 02:21:32 PM »

What's the problem?   Attitude or the examination?

Autumn

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 07:15:13 PM »

VA seems to be a real problem for non hrt treatment. Good luck at the doctors. Please let us know how you get on. :)

dahliagirl

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 09:22:21 AM »

The things I have read about that people use (haven't tried) are:

Omega 7 (sea buckthorn taken as a supplement) which is supposed to help with dry mucus membranes
vitamin E capsules, dissolved in the vagina
Coconut oil (the cure for everything at the moment)

I have found lubricants etc irritating, and produce more 'infections' but can tolerate the actigel which is supposed to balance your pH.