Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Alone for Christmas?  (Read 13528 times)

bramble

Alone for Christmas?
« on: November 28, 2015, 04:02:54 PM »

Is anyone else going to be on their own at Christmas? I intend to cook myself a proper Christmas dinner and am going to lay in a good book, a funny DVD and a box of my fav chocolates! Sorted!

Bramble

littleminnie

Re: Alone for Christmas?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 04:56:14 PM »

And a glass of wine bramble?

dazned

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 05:14:17 PM »

Sounds like a plan  ;)

Dyan

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 05:40:25 PM »

Go for it Bramble! ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 05:43:39 PM »

If we didn't have Mum to visit we would spend time here.  A walk after light breakfast, followed by C.mas pudding, TV and an evening meal.

Sleep in; out of bed as we want.  It would be the same if I lived alone.  I would buy books and bubble bath throughout the year to enjoy  ;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:26:53 PM by CLKD »

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 07:04:45 PM »

Sounds wonderful to me Bramble.

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 10:47:16 AM »

I would have no problems if I was on my own for Christmas.  We are on our own christmas eve and christmas day but have children and grandchildren visiting either side.  However I have abdicated all responsibility for meals and they understand I can only offer afternoon tea this year.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 12:07:58 PM »

Well done!  Too much food is on offer anyway  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 04:51:07 PM »

I think it's different being on your own in a couple and on your own totally as a single person. I have friends who are on their own over Christmas, both male and female, and the female friends enjoy it. They make a bit of a fuss of themselves, cook something special, buy a gift to themselves etc. The male friends are totally different and tend not to decorate their houses or make anything different about the day.

My family will be visiting over Christmas and although I love to see them I do find that there is not always time for  "me" in all of the festivities. I often feel like going away for New Year on my own as a pressie for me from me.  :)

Taz x

bramble

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 07:27:16 PM »

I am alone this year by choice. Just bought a couple of good books and a DVD (2nd most exotic M H) so only the chocs to do now! Booked my delivery slot with T*scos so should be all set for a very indulgent day. May even open a bottle of Prosecco!

Bramble

Louisa

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 07:34:19 PM »

Why ever not, enjoy yourself.  We are brought up to be expected to spend the day with others - Why?  Go for it and enjoy yourself bramble.  I spent many christmas days on my own and so does my sister, life is too short to be doing things we don't want or need to.  :ola:

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 11:26:24 PM »

I Have a friend who moved here about a year ago. It's second marriage for both her and hubby. They have a lovely big home and have invited people to stay for Xmas and they've all declined.  His adult  kids from first marriage and a grandchild are going to their mothers. She has stepchildren from first marriage and they're going to mothers too.  Her brother says he lives too far away.

I felt really sorry for her because it's just her and hubby all alone.  Then she told me she's adopted and has found her birth mother fairly recently but the mother doesn't  want contact with her and she's 78 so probably won't be around too much longer so she may never get to meet her.  apparently she's on her second marriage and her husband doesn't know that she had a daughter adopted.  She has a daughter from first marriage which would be her half sister but social workers advised her not to make contact as the half sister probably doesn't know that her Mum had a daughter adopted either. 

Xmas is not a happy time for everyone is it?  I am seriously thinking of asking the pair of them to join me, son, daughter, hubby and my Mum for lunch on Xmas Day. 

Suzi Q

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 03:16:41 AM »

Do that Im sure theyd be thrilled
Xmas is a sad gtime for many of us Ive said since son grew up
I wish I could go to sleep 23rd wake up Boxing day
Hubby and I are spending Xmas eve lunch with son dinlaw and grandson
Then going on to see HG or JB film and have an early dinner in a restaurant after
Xmas Lunch at sons home no more than 3 hours home by 4pm then thats it
Xmas night on goes Xmas Greetings UK Video we had it was made in 1980s with Barbra Flynn
We transfered it to DVD its not perfect but we love it BF is my husbands pash
We will eat a nice ham salad nice glass or 3 of wine and then he will be in bed by 930pm
Xmas is for children teenager and people with huge families people who are older or not in huge families
Or alone find Xmas for the most part crap just 2 days to get through
This Xmas will be the first since dad died last Xmas day at 5am i got a call from UK he was dying
Xmas day was a write off I sat with a smile on my face only joy was my grandson he was 11mnths
Every year IMO we all think this Xmas will be better and it almost never is
INVITE the couple eat drink chatter and even just watch TV and know uve made someone happy xxxx

Ju Ju

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 07:30:56 AM »

Being alone, as bramble shows, does not mean you are lonely. You can be lonely in a relationship or when surrounded by people.

We do reach out to friends, who are alone and one friend comes along most Christmases for an hour or so in the afternoon. I tentively asked another friend to spend Christmas with us, as she has recently been bereaved and has little family. I am aware that being around others may be harder than being alone. Her great niece has invited her, but it meant a lot to her that I asked her. This Christmas will be a difficult time for her.

Louisa

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 07:55:10 AM »

Christmas can be difficult.  I've not seen my kids since 1996, due to my ex (yes I've done and tried everything but when one partner turns the kids against the other, well....! It's called "Parental Alienation") they are in their 30's now.  :-[

New Year is also difficult, my daughters birthday New Years Day.... Oh well. such is life eh. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 08:44:42 AM by Louisa »
Pages: [1] 2 3