Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: How many of us take an AD for peri/menopause symptoms too?  (Read 17695 times)

GypsyRoseLee

How many of us take an AD for peri/menopause symptoms too?
« on: November 25, 2015, 03:57:46 PM »

Now I am trying an AD (Mirtrazapine) to help settle my peri symptoms I would be really interested to know how many others on here also take an AD to help alleviate their hormonal issues?

To be honest, the physical symptoms of peri menopause have pretty much passed me by. No hot flushes or bad headaches. No unwanted hairiness or vaginal problems at all.

The only physical sign I had that I'd started peri menopause was that my usually medium to heavy periods suddenly became very, very light and slightly closer together (though still pretty regular). Also I stopped having swollen, achey boobs every month too. I did suddenly start having insomnia, but I think that was linked to the anxiety?

For me, it has been the intermittant dreadful anxiety, low mood and mood swings which have wreaked my life these last 2 years.

I think HRT works wonders for the physical elements of peri menopause, but maybe not so effective for the anxiety and mood swings?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: How many of us take an AD for peri/menopause symptoms too?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 07:55:01 PM »

I think that whatever the cause, depression and anxiety should be treated with appropriate medication  :-\.  Let us know how you get on!

crazydaisy

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 07:55:49 PM »

Hello GypsyRoseLee,

I have been taking Mirtrazapine for just over 3 weeks now as I have suffered from the most awful anxiety for 10 months or so. They have helped me a great deal I am a lot less anxious and happy, took about a week to work and had a few side effects being a bit dizzy on 1st day and sleepy in mornings for a few days,

Before I took these I was only sleeping 3 or 4 hrs a night and was a retching, shaking wreck that dreaded work and going out any where, I was in the GP several times a week convinced I had an awful illness.

Now just 3 weeks later I go to work easily, hardly no anxiety and I feel level and content. I can not take SSRI like Prozac etc as they made me so much worse so GP suggested Mirtrazapine.

Give them a go you might be as happy on them as I am.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 08:09:24 PM »

'less anxious and happy' ? less happy  :-\

dazned

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 08:15:04 PM »

CLKD I think crazydasie means less anxious........and "now" happy, maybe  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 08:15:39 PM »

Maybe  ::)

crazydaisy

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 08:24:02 PM »

yes I am less anxious and... am NOW definitely happy, sorry, I worded it wrong.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 09:02:13 PM »

That's pretty much what my GP said CLKD. He said that however my anxiety and depression were being generated they needed treating like any other anxiety/depression. I do know that NICE guidelines state that ADs should be first choice for menopause symptoms. But I think my fluctuations are so extreme and I'm so sensitive to those fluctuations that HRT just couldn't cope.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 09:04:15 PM »

I hope I respond as well as you crazydaisy. I was a sobbing wreak over the weekend, very reluctant to even leave the house. Infused with dread and anxiety. I thought enough is enough.

Do you have other peri symptoms too?

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 09:06:04 PM »

Also, like you SSRIs make me feel too wired and jittery. I need something more soothing. Has the drowsiness stopped now?

crazydaisy

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 09:38:37 PM »

Hi GypsyRoseLee,

Yes the drowsiness is much better it only lasted for about 3 days and even during the drowsiness I managed to get to work by 7am. It helps me sleep,I also have some vivid dreams but they are not horrible at all. It was quite a comfort to be drowsy after so much anxiety. It helped me almost immediately, as a good nights sleep was a great help.

I am also peri but take HRT ( been on it 2 yrs) so have no physical symptoms, such as flushing and sweats. HRT does nothing for my anxiety or mood.

I was so scared to take the Mirtrazapine, I am so glad I did, I needed something to help me and you do too...give them a go and let me know how you get on.

dazned

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 09:44:43 PM »

Oh yes I remember now the first month I had very vivid dreams ,not bad ones I kinda looked forward to them ,like you it was just such a relief to have good sleep and just feel no anxiety.

Meg

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 03:13:36 AM »

Dear Craizydaisy

So glad that the mirtazapine is working well for you.  I have a prescription for it but have hung back.  Are you on the 15mg dose?  I have been scared to start on antidepressants but the menopausal anxiety can be so debilitating.  I wish you a continuing calmness.

Meg

dazned

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 08:52:29 AM »

It didnt/doesn't give me headache but as we know everyone is different   ::)

dazned

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 09:22:05 AM »

How are you today GRL ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5