Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: prebiotics or probiotics - whats the difference?  (Read 2524 times)

Sunnydays

prebiotics or probiotics - whats the difference?
« on: November 21, 2015, 05:50:05 PM »

Hi,
I've been looking into these a bit for 2 reasons: I've just had a bout of thrush and I understand that live yoghurt cultures are good for the gut and thrush; the other reason is I've been reading up about PH balances and acid/alkaline food.
Just returned from the supermarket and I have yakult. This has something live in it! I try to keep off dairy so prefer not to have live yoghurts; I have natural soya yoghurt which does have some live culture but not as many as the cows mild! I looked on the internet and I can't distinguish between prebiotic and probiotic and what's best for you.
Plus has anyone got any good links to acid/alkali foods? I want to make sure I've got the right balance.

dahliagirl

Re: prebiotics or probiotics - whats the difference?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 06:34:34 PM »

I can't remember which is pre and pro biotic but the order of effectiveness is:

1. Yogurts and drinks

2. acidophilus (and others) capsules

3.  food that the right gut bacteria like and will make them proliferate.  I can't remember exactly what this is - probably the usual green leafy things, pulses, raw stuff.  And bananas and leeks, for some reason   ???

BrightLight

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 10:16:00 PM »

Probiotics introduce good live bacteria into the gut - yoghurts, supplements etc and prebiotics are substances that support the bacteria that are already there and keep the balance right; I think they are a form of fibre.  I think you could approach gut health using either - I have yet to fully get to grips with all this myself, but feel sure it is a good thing to do.

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 11:27:33 PM »

I buy Acidophilus caps from local health store, but you can get in big high Street health food store also.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 10:04:21 AM »

My GP advises Optibac and says that there is nowhere enough bacteria to combat the effects of antibiotics. She thinks it's just a money spinner but that it doesn't do you any harm.

Info about the difference between pre and pro here - just as explained by you Brightlight  :) http://blog.fooducate.com/2013/09/09/this-simple-graphic-explains-the-difference-between-probiotics-and-prebiotics/

Taz x

mandypepe

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 01:55:13 PM »

Just to add, I make my own milk kefir. This is totally natural and fantastic so before buying yakult and danone drinks etc, research milk kefir. If you like the sound of it, let me know and I will share my seed with you as it's growing. Obviously I will need your address.