Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Brain rewiring  (Read 7959 times)

dogdoc

Brain rewiring
« on: November 19, 2015, 02:45:15 PM »

For those ( like me) that have almost as many neurologic symptoms as hot flashes and mood swings...here's some reassuring info. We're normal ( ish) lol.
So for the tingling, twitching, brain fogging, forgetful, zapping, head pressuring weirdos out there...here ya go:

http://www.nature.com/nrendo/journal/v11/n7/full/nrendo.2015.82.html

Hurdity

Re: Brain rewiring
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 05:25:10 PM »

That's interesting dogdoc - I can only read the abstract as a non subscriber, but I wonder if the hypometabolic state referred to includes interaction with thyroid hormones as I understand they are connected? Have you seen the whole article? I know that's not what you were posting about but it does sound fascinating!

Hurdity x

Briony

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 06:00:24 PM »

Fascinating. I am sure it's no coincidence that it was a neurologist of all people who first suggested I may have hormonal issues. He'd obviously come across others in the same situation.
Even on this forum, when people report symptoms like ours (the buzzing, numbness, pains, tingling, ultra sensitivity etc) others will sometimes say 'that doesn't sound hormonal' when in fact, if estrogen affects over 250 of our bodily functions, then neurological issues are not as surprising as they might first seem.
Thanks for posting.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 08:23:02 PM »

Hello dogdoc.

Many thanks for posting such an interesting link.

Best wishes.

K.

dogdoc

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 07:19:17 PM »

Hurdity I can't get the whole article either and I'm too cheap to pay for it :)

I do think there's a significant link between estrogen and the thyroid ( which we already know...women who go on HRT will need to adjust their thyroid doses, and women not on HRT but going through perimenopause/menopause will have their thyroid go out of whack as well).

There are a few studies out there linking dementia and estrogen. In the WHI study it seemed HRT ( premarin of course) seemed to make Alzheimers a greater risk. But we know estrogen is important for neuronal functioning. I think it's another of those 'window of opportunity' things...if you implement estrogen at the right time ( around the menopause) vs waiting until your 60+ to start estrogen you can possibly reduce the risk of Alzheimers. Studies are underway now.

Many many of my earliest symptoms were neurologic in nature ( headache, twitching, paraesthesias, formication etc) which is why all the docs said no to menopause. But I think neurologic symptoms are a lot more common than doctors think. Not including the women on this forum I have 4 friends ( 4!!!!) all in their early to mid 40's and all getting MRI's for their new onset headaches, parasthesias etc. They all think they've got tumors or MS... sound familiar?? hmmmmm  I very much doubt it's coincidence.

kpatton56

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 07:47:09 PM »

Hi dogdoc
Did the your early neuro symptoms settle?
katiecurrantbun x

dogdoc

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 09:31:43 PM »

Sparkle...yes I have every indicator for CFS but I'm afraid I think it's all hormonal. Most people diagnosed with CFS are middle aged women...hmm. Coincidence? Think it's all hormonal.

Katie a lot of the neurologic stuff has settled as I get further along. For instance a lot of the face tingling has resolved, as has a lot of the hand tingling. Still occasionally get numb lips, and occasionally a 'face twitch' - usually my nose ( weird). A lot of the horrible almost daily headaches I got earlier on have resolved as well ( pain in the back of my head and behind my eyes), as has the 'brain fog' which plagued me for over a year.

New symptoms have developed though...like PVC's and insomnia as well as the hot flashes that they warned me were coming. I had NO hot flashes for the first couple of years of this, which is why no one attributed my neurologic symptoms to hormones. If you don't have hot flashes you apparently CAN'T be menopausal. lol.

t

Briony

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 10:18:29 PM »

Everything you guys have posted here sounds so familiar. Crazy isn't it? ££££££££ s must be wasted on unnecessary scans, tests, MRIs (I've had an embarrassing number) and then consider the amount lost in people being off work, ill with (alleged) CFS, fibro etc. like you, I have RL friends in both categories - neither of whom have ever had any hormonal tests.
Isn't it weird that so many of us with neuro symptoms are also the ones with either no temperature issues or else just chills, no/few flushes?

Peterspots

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 02:08:40 PM »

It's encouraging your facial symptoms have eased. I'm still having  in there.

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 07:10:51 PM »

women not on HRT but going through perimenopause/menopause will have their thyroid go out of whack as well).

^ this definitely.  I was warned in my early 40s, when my hypothyroidism was finally stabilised, that I would need to be tested more often at the menopause because the levels could change.  And boy, they didn't only change but jumped and skipped about all over the place for a number of years.  They are only just beginning to steady again this year, it's been quite a roller coaster.

Regarding the lack of oestrogen and alzheimers/dementia I don't think it is a general rule of thumb although it could happen in some cases.  Mum had a hysterectomy at 38 and never had HRT and was mentally sharp as a tack until the day before she died. Her heart and bones were also good and strong all her life.  But mum's sister didn't have HRT either and she did develop Alzheimer's at age 58 and died aged 62.  She suffered badly with anxiety as well.   Mother in Law never had HRT and although she developed osteoporosis her brain was also razor sharp until the week she died.

Ela

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 12:53:28 PM »

Some interesting reading, I have never really suffered with hot flushes in fact I always seem to be cold but my head some years back my head belonged to someone else not me.
At work I put documents together that made no sense I wrote emails that if that had not ended regards Ela I would had dismissed them as to someone else's blunder.................I then started taking HRT and my world became a better place,  five years later, after lowering the dose 3 months ago, I decided to go cold turkey and am now on day 5 and I feel like I am here my head is somewhere else, my eyesight seems to have deteriorated I have to consciously think before I speak as I may come out with a load of rubbish.
Has anyone else had the 'here we go again' reaction after HRT has been stopped?
I will give it another week but if I still feel Crap  I am returning to HRT whatever!

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 04:54:04 PM »

I'm another one whose peri symptoms have 'been all in my head' too.

Never had a hot flush, or extra hairiness, or flooding or any of the classic physical symptoms.

dogdoc

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 09:27:59 PM »

I truly think that for some of us the transition starts LOOOONG before mainstream medicine thinks it does. For me mid to late 30's. My bloodwork is perfect. My hormone levels are perfect. In face, on paper, I'm absolutely perfect, but have felt like I'm dying a lot of the time over the last few years. I think some of us ( likely a whole lot that end up on these boards) are very sensitive to hormonal changes and fluctuations ( be they low or high).

There is a fair bit of evidence that absolute estrogen values don't drop dramatically until the year before you stop having periods. That means if you're perimenopausal and having regular periods you are making estrogen. Plenty of estrogen i think. The neurologic changes I had over the last few years were like my brain was 'wired'. Jitters/anxiety, headaches, fog, etc. Makes me wonder if my brain is amping up my levels of estrogen to try to 'force' an ovulation.  In very early menopause is it too much estrogen that's the problem???  I certainly can induce all my neurologic symptoms with a 50 ug estrogen patch. Right down to the freezing chills, brain fog, panic attacks and weeping. Remove the patch, and I"m back to normal in less than 8 hours. hmmmmm