Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hi  (Read 2961 times)

Vilee

Hi
« on: November 13, 2015, 08:01:32 AM »

I'm 50, hysterectomy at 32 (everything, but ovaries) and plunged into menopausal symptoms over last couple of months.
I had been taking citalopram for 10 months for anxiety and depression (which I've lived with since I was 14), which my gp thinks had been 'accidentally' stopping the hot flushes and night sweats from menopause, as we had no idea that I was menopausal. Unfortunately, the anxiety and depression weren't being addressed very well and the other side effects of the drug weren't good for me, so I gradually stopped taking it. The withdrawal symptoms from the antidepressant were horrible and coupled with the fact that I find myself now well into menopausal symptoms - feel this is not quite fair 😣
I started with Evorel 25 just over a week ago and am keeping my fingers crossed that I might start to feel like a human being again sometime soon.
So, hi everyone - thank goodness you're here!  :-*

dazned

Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 08:19:13 AM »

Hi Ville and  :welcomemm:

Nice to have you aboard this Rocky ride  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 12:29:11 PM »

Hi Vilee

:welcomemm: from me too!

I do hope you feel better after starting the Evorel 25 - but as that is a low dose and if you only feel a little improvement after 2-3 months then do ask for an increase to 50 mcg. I have been on this dose of patch for over 8 years since late peri at approx age 54. :)

Hurdity x

Vilee

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 10:17:38 AM »

Thanks for the advice, Hurdity
I thought it took a while for it to take effect, but I didn't realise it was that long  :-\ I think my gp is being ultra cautious and going to increase to 50 once we establish that the 25 isn't causing my mood to become worse ... If I feel like this for too long my mood will worsen anyway!

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 06:30:02 PM »

Sorry Vilee I posted in rather a hurry. I didn't mean to imply that it takes that long. You should begin to notice a difference in your flushes and sweats etc very quickly and then suddenly you should feel that they aren't occurring quite as frequently. All I meant for the 2-3 month is that it can take that long to stabilise and for your body to acclimatise - some of the effects of oestrogen are longer term, even though some are more immediate. If after this time you don't continue to see an improvement eg you feel that you have stabilised but still getting symptoms - then the time has come to increase the dose. You may feel this sooner rather than later.

Once I tried to stop HRT (for 3 months) my symptoms came back and the doc suggested I start back on the 25 mcg dose (I was late 50's at the time) - and this did work initially - I saw an improvement, but after 3 months I still had symptoms that bothered me (flushes and sweats) and I knew the 50 mcg would get rid of them completely - so I increased back up to this and they disappeared.

Hurdity x  :)

Vilee

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 11:30:19 AM »

Thanks for the clarification  ;)
I'm back to the gp in a week and will ask for an increase to 50 mcg as I'm still overwhelmed with symptoms ... fingers crossed!

Vilee

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 11:31:11 AM »

Hi Ville and  :welcomemm:

Nice to have you aboard this Rocky ride  ;)

Hi dazned
Thanks for welcome :)

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 12:45:27 PM »

Let us know how you get on! :)

Hurdity x