Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hyaluronic acid?  (Read 17767 times)

spookstreet

Hyaluronic acid?
« on: November 09, 2015, 11:35:12 AM »

I've been trying, with the help of an excellent female GP, to get rid of some minor symptoms of vaginal atrophy (essentially, my pee nearly always feels too warm).

I've gone down the hormone route (Vagifem) without success and, more recently, Regelle (didn't do a thing). I've just started on Replens, which I'm suspecting isn't going to help either, although I will obviously persevere for a few weeks.

The only thing that I think may help a bit is Balance Activ Moisture Pessaries Plus - however, they are extremely expensive (£13.99 for 10) and, so far as I can tell, not available on prescription.

The key ingredients here seems to be hyaluronic acid, and I was just wondering whether anyone knew of a cheaper alternative which contains that?

All suggestions welcome!  :)

dahliagirl

Re: Hyaluronic acid?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 12:48:10 PM »

Hi - I use multigyn actigel which is probably the same price as the balance active, but you can use a small amount and swish it round the outside bits, IYSWIM  ::) and make it last longer.

It seems to promise similar to balance active, but uses Qsomething-or-other instead of the hyaluronic acid.

The omega 7 sea buckthorn is supposed to help with dryness, but is also expensive.

I also use hrt and vagifem, but it does seem to be a balancing act.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 12:53:10 PM »

Hi spookstreet

You found that Vagifem didn't work for you - perhaps you were sensitive to it or something similar?

Also, have you tried, or thought of trying estriol cream - completely different from Vagifem and available on prescription as either generic estriol cream ( 0.01 %) - formerly Gynest cream, or Ovestin - stronger at 0.1% but you use less? Many women find this less irritating and does the same job.  I use Estriol pessaries for most of the time and these are brilliant but have been discontinued. I also have the estriol cream (0.01 %) which you can insert inside or use on external areas. They are listed here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

Hope this helps  :)

Hurdity x

spookstreet

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 02:19:22 PM »

Hi - I use multigyn actigel which is probably the same price as the balance active, but you can use a small amount and swish it round the outside bits, IYSWIM  ::) and make it last longer.

It seems to promise similar to balance active, but uses Qsomething-or-other instead of the hyaluronic acid.

The omega 7 sea buckthorn is supposed to help with dryness, but is also expensive.

I also use hrt and vagifem, but it does seem to be a balancing act.

Many thanks for that, dahliagirl. Multigyn Actigel has got a lot of good reviews on Amazon - although not many reviewers are obviously in the post-menopause bracket. However, it's only £7.05 at the moment so definitely worth a try!  :)

spookstreet

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 02:21:47 PM »

Hi spookstreet

You found that Vagifem didn't work for you - perhaps you were sensitive to it or something similar?

Also, have you tried, or thought of trying estriol cream - completely different from Vagifem and available on prescription as either generic estriol cream ( 0.01 %) - formerly Gynest cream, or Ovestin - stronger at 0.1% but you use less? Many women find this less irritating and does the same job.  I use Estriol pessaries for most of the time and these are brilliant but have been discontinued. I also have the estriol cream (0.01 %) which you can insert inside or use on external areas. They are listed here:

Hurdity x

Many thanks, Hurdity, that's very useful to know.

Vagifem just did nothing at all for me ... I'd rather not try another hormonal cream just yet, although I'll definitely raise estriol with my GP if all else fails. It seems to be such a balancing act: the GP said that it's like getting the right moisturiser for your skin - different ingredients work for different people.

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 03:15:45 PM »

Hi spookstreet

Hurdity x

I'd rather not try another hormonal cream just yet, although I'll definitely raise estriol with my GP if all else fails.

Hi SS - I believe Estriol is a oestrogen (hormonal) cream, it's a very weak (0.01 %) concentration, used locally.

Jenna

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 03:35:31 PM »

Hi spookstreet - I use 'Yes' water-based vaginal moisturiser on the days I don't use the Estriol Cream. You can get a free sample if you ask via their website and it is also available on prescription. I have tried several brands, but that is the one that suits me.

Please would you explain more about your urine feeling too warm as I didn't know about this being a sign of atrophy! Is it something your GP has told you about - I am very curious now!

spookstreet

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 08:49:38 AM »

Hi SS - I believe Estriol is a oestrogen (hormonal) cream, it's a very weak (0.01 %) concentration, used locally.

Thanks for that, Limpy!

spookstreet

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 08:52:04 AM »

Hi spookstreet - I use 'Yes' water-based vaginal moisturiser on the days I don't use the Estriol Cream. You can get a free sample if you ask via their website and it is also available on prescription. I have tried several brands, but that is the one that suits me.

Please would you explain more about your urine feeling too warm as I didn't know about this being a sign of atrophy! Is it something your GP has told you about - I am very curious now!

That's useful to know, Jenna.

Vis-a-vis the urine, it's just ... too warm! And I know I'm not imagining it because there are times (usually when I get up to pee in the night) when it's back to 'normal'. I went to see a urologist because my GP was assuming it was an infection thing (the issue was muddied by the fact that I was getting infections as well): he examined me and said, nope - mild vaginal atrophy.

I've not come across other instances of this particular symptom but the internet's a big place!  :)

SadLynda

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 12:21:33 PM »

does with me sparkle. :(

This thread has just forced me to get on and make that appointment.  I had to register with the on-line thingy to get an appointment I can fit around work and parents, but I have done it now.  Not till December 2nd, best I could get but I have done it at last (its an anxiety thing, I struggle to do this).

things are getting bad now.  I use the multigyn, and the 'yes' oil one.  But thing I need more help now, as though these things help they are not stopping things from getting worse which they now are :(

spookstreet

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 07:42:22 PM »

Spookstreet - I can relate to the 'too warm' feeling - definitely not burning just ... warm!!  It's very tricky to explain.  Things have definitely changed down there for me and I've noticed when I pee it seems to cover a greater area of skin than it ever used to (that sounds really odd!!) - ring any bells with you?

S x
Gosh, it's good to know I'm not alone, Sparkle! I'm not sure about the greater area of skin, though ...

Still as warm as ever with Replens. I've just found that Balance Activ are doing a 30% off on Moisture Pessaries Plus (https://www.balanceactiv.com/menopause/?gclid=CPyGzpLOhskCFUX4wgodYRcA-w) so I've ordered a couple of packs so I'll have them on hand to try again if the doctor can't come up with anything that does work.

spookstreet

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 07:43:51 PM »

does with me sparkle. :(

This thread has just forced me to get on and make that appointment.  I had to register with the on-line thingy to get an appointment I can fit around work and parents, but I have done it now.  Not till December 2nd, best I could get but I have done it at last (its an anxiety thing, I struggle to do this).

things are getting bad now.  I use the multigyn, and the 'yes' oil one.  But thing I need more help now, as though these things help they are not stopping things from getting worse which they now are :(

Definitely good to get things checked out ... My own concern is that, so long as things are warmer than they should be, I'm increasingly open to urinary infections, and the doctor does agree that for that reason if nothing else it needs sorting out.

SadLynda

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 12:01:25 PM »

thanks spookstreet :)  After reading all 17 pages of this thread yesterday http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22886.0.html  I realised what was wrong with me, worth a read.

SadLynda

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 03:25:38 PM »

BOGOF on the gel too (above link from Spookstreet) so I have just ordered some of that to try, sounds very like the multigyn stuff.  Hoping it will help while I await my appointment.  I am also taking the cystitis drink too that is helping a lot, I thought it was just VA ('just' LOL, Yeah right) but after reading up here I found it wasnt.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 04:02:27 PM »

Your pee will leave the urethra at body temperature  ;) - it can't be any hotter.

What did your GP say about your pee?  What makes you think it's too hot  :-\ - it always surprises me how warm mine is if I splash when taking a sample  ::)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:27:16 PM by CLKD »
Pages: [1] 2