Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anaemic  (Read 2781 times)

toffeecushion

Anaemic
« on: November 05, 2015, 03:19:05 PM »

For the 2nd time this year I have been told I am anaemic.  Last time I was given a months supply of iron and was told, when I asked that I didn't need a follow up blood test.  Last week, after a 6 week period I asked for a blood test and have just been told I am anaemic again.  Why don't doctors follow things up.  With my history of prolonged periods surely I should be given a 6 monthly blood test.  I'm speaking to my doctor on Monday so hopefully they will listen to me this time.

Taz2

Re: Anaemic
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 03:27:07 PM »

Do you now how anaemic you are? I think that one month's supply of tablets would only fix the very slightest anaemia to be honest. I had to have six months treatment to get me back on track. Funnily enough when I was having heavy, prolonged periods I wasn't anaemic at all but I developed it later!

Taz x

toffeecushion

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 04:37:34 PM »

The first time round I was 10.2 and now it's 9.8.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 04:53:13 PM »

What iron do you take? When I was pregnant with first child I becme anaemic but didn't want to take tablets so I took Floradix - a very gentle herbal iron tonic. I still take a tsp every few days now since I am on medium dose HRT and I'm in my 60's and still getting a bleed.  This worked very quickly for me but as Taz says you need to take it for longer and maybe if the tablets are finished and once your iron levels are back up to normal, you could get yourself some Floradix and take now and again as I do - just to make sure you don't become low again - especially if you are having heavy and prolonger periods.

Hurdity x

Machair

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 05:12:16 PM »

I would think you may not have topped up your stores enough the first time. The thing is low iron can make you feel very unwell so hopefully you will get advice next week from the doctor. Are you vegetarian? I am and always have low results if I don't take care to add in foods that are high in iron. Spatone is good if you can't tolerate the tablets or ask for Ferrous Gluconate as this is kinder on your stomach.

Spangles

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 05:25:42 PM »

Hi Toffecushion
I've been anaemia on and off for years, I know the symptoms well so I just go and get a pack I'd ferrous sulphate from the chemist.
I recently had some bloods done but they came back normal, well they would do because I was already taking the iron.
In my experience I just go with how I feel as I don't feel doctors listen properly anyway.
Hope you feel better soon.
Shellb
xXx

Smokey

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 05:48:16 PM »

I've also been anemic and maybe still am I'm taking ferrous sulphate too, was on one each day for best part of a year, but bloods still low 17 so I am now prescribed 2 tabs a day together with orange juice to help absorb it I also find spinach good used as salad in a sandwich.

I didn't think 17 as a iron level was low, but was told it is by another doctor I saw, it's a real pain trying to get everything in without missing one, and not mixing it with tea coffee breakfast etc.

Not sure why I'm anemic, but have recently been tod I have Gallstones.

toffeecushion

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 05:59:30 PM »

It would explain why I have been so tired, although now I know I am anaemic I have suddenly felt even more tired.  Almost as though I have given myself permission to be tired.  Have also had some palpitations lately, which I put down to menopause, but maybe they weren't.

Feather

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 03:29:03 PM »

What symptoms did you get with anaemia?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 04:23:55 PM »

Hi!  Many feel very tired.  But that can be caused by low VitD levels  ::).  How do you feel Feather?

Feather

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 05:30:22 PM »

Lacking energy, a bit dizzy and shaky like when you've got the flu or need to eat, really cold feet and my joint aches have suddenly got worse! Hot flushes have come back with a vengeance- so not sure if this is a memo symptom or something else. And of course anxiety because it's making me feel c**p!

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 05:53:42 PM »

When did you have a full blood count etc.?  Perhaps go and see the Practice Nurse for a well woman check, blood pressure and blood tests?

Feather

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 06:21:57 PM »

I've never had a full blood count! Yes, good idea, I was thinking I need a doctors   Appointment but maybe well woman would be better

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 07:46:22 PM »

Take a list of symptoms with you.

Let us know how you get on!

Feather

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 06:46:10 PM »

Took your advice, thank you, and made an appointment to see Gp. Had to wait 2 weeks to get one! So in the meantime started taking over the counter iron supplements. Some of my symptoms have gone away. Had the blood test yesterday ( had to make a further appointment!) and now I'm anxiously waiting for the results. Was reading that thyroid issues are hereditary and my mum takes levothyroxine , so maybe it's that?
Pages: [1] 2