Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Monster (3 day) migraines - how do you cope?  (Read 16808 times)

Night_Owl

Monster (3 day) migraines - how do you cope?
« on: November 03, 2015, 12:57:46 PM »

I know it's been discussed before - just wondering if anybody has discovered anything new in the migraine prevention/treatment as it is an evolving area of medicine.

Just emerging from a monster debilitating 3 day migraine, one of the worst I've ever experienced, truly horrendous - it has left me more terrified than usual of when the next one will strike.

I've taken advice from Migraine Action and will be asking GP for a referral to a Neurologist with experience of dealing with hormonal (meno) migraine to get a proper diagnosis of the type of migraine (eg. possibly basilar, they have mutated and now always start as right side neck knots, droopy right eye, I've lost the aura).  That could take months, in the meantime ...

What I use (not all at once!):

Triptan at onset which either sort of stops it or not - hit and miss.
Cold flannel on top of head. 
Gel heat pad for neck knots.
Dissolvable aspirin.
Alka Seltzer (aspirin).
Paramol.
Paracetamol.
Paracetamol suppositories (when digestive system shuts down).
Magnesium spray.
Peppermint oil applied to neck knots.
Magnesium supplements.
B Complex.

Mostly I find painkillers to be ineffective.

I just have to be lying down in a darkened room, the pain and depression is immense and I fall into a deep dark well - I weep with the agony and berate myself for not coping better, after all these years.

Have you found a way to cope - or anything that gives some relief?

Thanks for sharing any tips - and sympathies from one migraineur to another, it's a tough affliction to deal with (on top of meno).

Night_Owl
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Monster (3 day) migraines - how do you cope?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 02:49:45 PM »

I wouldn't cope  :'(.  If I feel the slightest headache twinge I swallow 2 Nurufen then 60-70 mins later another 1.  That usually stops it.  Fortunately, I have never suffered migraines.

I can understand the sudden depression …….. the 'what if this never goes'? ……. I had that when suffering intense pain from a wrongly placed dental crown ……. not helped by the Dentist telling me it would be worse pain if he had to remove the tooth.  Eventually he did, grudgingly  >:( : and it wasn't!

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 02:57:59 PM »

Hello NightOwl.

So sorry to read that you are suffering. I don't have migraines myself but my husband did as a teenager so hormones probably responsible there as well.
I heard a radio programme a few years ago which stressed that lack of sleep was a common trigger and I worked with a man who found that chocolate would induce an attack but if he then ate an apple within 30 minutes the attack would be avoided. Quite how he worked that out I don't know !
Sorry I can't be of more help but I thought a couple of anecdotes may give you food for thought.

Take care.

K.

Night_Owl

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 04:13:53 PM »

Thanks for replies/thoughts.

Typing this very slowly as it takes ages to get the words out from my fingertips.

Prajna, the migraines returned when my periods stopped - I had them from a child to early 20s - then okay until c.44 - so the main trigger is the loss of estrogen / change in hormone profile.

In searching for relief of migraine and meno, I've been through the spectrum of HRTs high to low, pills to gel to patches.  I'm highly prog intolerant which triggers migraine too.

Apparently once the genetically pre-disposed migraine brain has become hyper-sensitised (due to meno) it can take a variety or just a few (ugh) triggers to take a migraneur over what is known as 'the threshold' into a migraine brain attack - I've never been able to figure out specifically what mine are.  It can be almost anything and everything - just basically being alive and living:  eg. sunshine or too much fun/stimulation/conversation, ie. nice things - or food related, not sure what though, I'm careful not to eat junk - or it can be the obvious things, stress, arguments etc.   I can be fine one minute, then whoosh out of nowhere the neck knots start to build and it goes from there, I grade the pain on a scale of 1 to 10.  Some people go to A&E for treatment.  It can be a real disability.

Sparkle, I'm similar with taking the Triptan - as the migraines can trick me by varying and taking on different formats, I'm never sure whether to take it as occasionally it can dissipate or I think am I imagining the neck knots - the triptan knocks me sideways and I often find it ineffective once the mig has taken hold, apparently it has to be within 2 hours of onset I read somewhere - however as you have found some success with taking into later, I might try that next time.  The pattern is still pretty random, last one I had was two weeks ago and before that about 6 weeks.  Hopefully yours will settle once your periods stop - apparently it can go either way although most women find their migs get better at meno.

CLKD, yes the depression is hideous, I spent most of Sunday weeping and had that awful feeling of what if I don't get better, it's so de-stabilising, I'm pretty down at the best of times. 

Kathleen, thanks, yes lack of sleep (due to night sweats) is an issue - I might try the apple remedy ha ha, I love Pink Lady apples.  I'll try anything, I'd eat toenail clippings if I thought it would help.

On a slightly humorous note (!), this Pain Scale (Hyperbole and a Half) is so apt for pain grading of migraine:

http://brainhatesme.com/2013/05/11/a-more-accurate-pain-scale-hyperbole-and-a-half/

Night_Owl

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 04:28:50 PM »

ps - forgot to say, Sparkle, the other main thing that bothers me about taking Triptan is that, as we know, it narrows arteries - not just in the brain to address the migraine pain but elsewhere too, in the heart etc - the leaflet says to use with caution for post meno women.  This bothers me quite a lot.  Guess it depends on quantity of use. Will have to get advice about this.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 04:34:34 PM »

If it starts in the neck and works upwards, has anyone suggested physio or massage? 

marras

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 05:59:40 PM »

Hi NightOwl, my sympathies as one migraneur to another. I have three day migraines, I also have ones with aura. I take Zomitriptan which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Don't you just hate the fact that we don't seem to be able to be in control? As you say, it can happen at any time and usually comes when you really could do without it, my wedding day for instance! I have suffered since the age of eight, I am now 65, and although more frequent now they aren't nearly so bad but still manage to make me feel ghastly.
However, I think things are improving slowly as I am now on Amitryptline. I started on 10mg but am now on 15mg (have to cut the tablet in half) as they on come in multiples of 10mgs. I am also on a 25mcg oestrogen patch twice a week. I put up with horrendous meno symptoms for 12years because I was so afraid HRT would make my migraine worse. However, a year ago I decided life wasn't worth living and I had to try something to ease my meno symptoms so saw a private consultant for HRT. The Amitryptline helps me to sleep and keeps me calm. It really is worth trying.
The small amount of oestrogen has reduced the hot flushes (I still get them at night and the odd one during the day) and has made me feel generally better. I am hoping that the combination of the AD and the patch will reduce my migraine and give me a better quality of life.

Night_Owl

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 09:44:38 PM »

Sparkle, I often ponder re: ADs - and yes agree that low serotonin must be a factor.   In the past, pre-meno, I tried ADs when going through a rough patch and despite trying quite a few, I couldn't tolerate the side effects: totally zonked out, out of control, constant huge yawns, strange glassy eyes etc etc - but thinking that maybe I should have another go, tough it out, the outcome may be different.  I must admit -  I'm scared (probably wrongly) of taking them as I'm so med sensitive, eg. half a paracetamol makes me feel sleepy/strange.  Y'see i'm difficult treat due to my stupid constitution.  My posture isn't too great from being hunchy over a PC and past years of office work.  I used to do yoga, I should start again.

CLKD, I do DIY massage on the neck with magnesium spray or peppermint oil - physio, massage and acupuncture are things I would like to explore - funds permitting.

Marras, thanks for sharing your experience - Oh I do feel for you - 57 years of migraines, and hideous meno symptoms for 12 years - that is mega-tough going, you deserve a medal for survival!  And how rotten - on your wedding day, that is so unfair and wrong!  Interesting how the triptan also doesn't work consistently, it's hit and miss isn't it.  OH YES I hate the fact that there is no control over it, eg. I had a hideous one on my last birthday evening, missed a friend's wedding, now get worried about driving long distance without OH, etc etc, it ruins your life.  I keep reading about Amitryptline AD for mig - think I may explore this with GP, if I could maybe start on a micro-dose.  Are you able to take triptan too whilst on the Amitryptline?  I just need to somehow get over my fear of taking AD med -v- fear of migraine. I was on half 25 patch which is now to be increased gradually to a whole 25 in an effort to ease the migraine. Higher dose patch made it worse. Marras, do you have to use progesterone?

Migraine is such a complex, varying and individual condition isn't it.

Thanks for your input ladies, it has given me a lot to think about.

Night_Owl
x
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 09:47:02 PM by Night_Owl »

bramble

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 01:18:13 PM »

Has anyone tried a good homeopathic doctor?  I have suffered from migraines since I was a teenager and found the only thing that worked was trips to the homeopath. Three little tablets, 4 hours apart keeps me migraine free for a few years. Rinse and repeat. Don't know why or how it works but it does. One of life's mysteries.
Bramble

bramble

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 07:22:41 PM »

It is only the 3 tablets four hours apart and then I am migraine free for a few years, then another 3 tablets 4 hours apart............. It's like magic. No idea what are in the pills. I only did this when I was getting frequent migraines. Now I only get them once in a blue moon (migraines that is).

bramble
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:24:16 PM by bramble »

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 09:34:45 PM »

Night_Owl - you may be able to get physio on the NHS and perhaps visit a Sports Therapist the local Sports Centre or Gym for advice?  I wouldn't recommend self massage because you won't be relaxing the correct muscle groups ……… much better to allow someone else to massage from the waist upwards.  An osteopath may be able to tell you which muscles are affected but I don't advise manipulation without him/her seeing recent complete spinal X-rays. 

Any tension can cause spasm = headaches.  Awful  :'(

Night_Owl

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 10:37:35 AM »

Bramble, that is truly amazing and glad that you found relief - wonder if it would work for me, will look further into maybe going down this path - funds permitting.  Would love to know what's in that magic pill?!  Guess it varies for each individual.  The usual: what works for one, won't work for another.  There was a homeopathy product advertised on Amazon that I was looking at recently, can't find it now, seems to have disappeared d'oh.  Personal, tailoired treatment is the best though isn't it.

CLKD, a while ago, I had an MRI via the Neuro and the report back to the GP, copied to me, was so vague - it said neck shows signs of 'wear and tear'.  What the hell is that supposed to mean, I didn't pursue it further at the time and then left it as life got in the way.  All of this I will discuss with GP at next visit.  I have been told that although I think and feel that the mig starts with neck knots, it's actually the other way around.  I just massage very gently with magnesium oil when the mig knots come up, OH does my shoulders.   Thanks for your suggestions, more food for thought.

Night_Owl

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 05:11:27 PM »

I'm wondering exactly what is 'wear and tear' on the neck - it's not very specific is it, eg. related to osteoporosis etc.  A bit worrying as we need our necks to get through the rest of life.

My shoulders are quite stiff too - every morning I do sets of shoulder roll exercises inwards and outwards in a hot shower, it seems to help a bit.  Years ago, prior to my periods stopping, I had a frozen shoulder right side, then 18 months the left shoulder.  Somehow the loss of estrogen seems to affect the muscles.

I know what you mean about pillows and awkward sleeping - I bought an expensive orthopaedic pillow hoping that would help but sadly it made no difference.  My mum had a slight Dowager's Hump (Forward Head Posture) and think I may be getting the same.  Great.  Having said that, my neck doesn't ache much in general, just hideously during the mig.

I know what you mean about the Harold migraine - mine only returned with a vile vengence when my periods stopped, so it's definitely due to not having 'hormonal protection' as such, estrogen low to high dose hasn't eased it - it's always the right side of neck and eye/head but then occasionally after taking Triptan it can move to the left side, just for good measure.  Sometimes the Triptan seems to suppress the mig and tries to make a comeback, to let me know who's boss.  It does seem to act in a slightly different way each time these days, always severe though. It can come on when I'm asleep and too late to take Triptan.  Gawd, I hate it so much.

And YES it does affect my memory - at the time of the mig and afterwards.  My brain more or less closes down and I can't remember things, it's like my brain has to shut down to recover - however the horrid depressed activity of the brain becomes super-active and likes to bring up nasty subject matters.  In my youth, I wasn't able to speak and my right side would become numb.  When recovering for a few days later, I particularly can't speak on the phone - it can take all my energy to stand up and shower - a supermarket shop takes forever and I can't for the life of me decide what to buy.  As you well know, it's the pits.

Do you get 'migraine face' - my right eye droops, my whole face changes and droops - and I look about 95.  I worry that I scare OH!

Sparkle, you may find that you don't get them when your periods stop and hormones level out, I hope so.

For anybody reading this who suffers with migraine, if you haven't already found these sites, they are very useful:

http://www.migraine.org.uk/information/triggers

http://www.migrainetrust.org/symptoms?gclid=CjwKEAiAmeyxBRCJxoKk7IWLl2oSJABvZjhhpXV-xDtG9cX5X4jGExt7MRRdHemGO_eJ4bFXNCbiyRoCb7nw_wcB

J x

marras

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 07:13:09 PM »

Hi Night Owl, sorry for the delay in replying. Please don't worry too much about Amitryptlin. My GP told me it's a very old drug that can be used indefinitely and is quite effective in prevention of migraine. She also said that they haven't come up with anything that is quite as effective. Obviously, it doesn't suit/work for everyone. Try looking at it as a treatment for migraines rather than an antidepressant, that's how I view it anyway. I am certainly not as anxious and feel a lot more relaxed. It's worth a try Night Owl.
Yes, you can take the Triptans with Amitryptline.
I still have a womb so have to take progesterone but only four times a year and I take Cyclogest pessaries, the anal route! I am to have regular scans to check the womb lining.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 08:54:49 PM »

Girls:  'wear and tear' is that:   gradual narrowing of the weight bearing bones throughout the body.  Including the neck because our heads are heavier than we realise  ;) and as they are moving almost all the while, they kind of get worn down too.  X-rays taken will show the degree of wear on the various joints and is 'natural' as we age.  Osteoporosis is usually in the other bones unless one is very lacking in calcium.  Your GP should have explained the results  >:( !

I think that 'knots' are more likely to radiate upwards into the back of the neck/skull …… = headaches.  After all if one thinks about how the shoulders rise when people are stressed then it stands to reason ……. so physiotherapy should help with gentle exercises to do at home.

Gentle neck exercises  - sitting down quietly.  Bend the head forwards so that the chin tries to reach the breast bone.  Head back centrally.  Rest.  Turn the head to the left as far as is comfortable.  Centrally, rest.  Turn the head to the right as far as is comfortable.  Central, rest.  Tip head back as far as is comfortable.  Central, rest.

Tip the ear towards the shoulder - right, central, rest, left, central, rest.  My neck creaks when I do some of these  ;D

Repeat as often as you remember.  At least once an hour.  Once you get used to these gentle manoveres you should find at least your neck and shoulders are less painful. 

Hormones can cause a tendency to headaches worse  :-\

:foryou:
Pages: [1] 2 3