Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Palpitations and Hormones  (Read 5930 times)

toffeecushion

Palpitations and Hormones
« on: October 30, 2015, 05:31:54 PM »

I know palpitations is a symptom of the menopause but can someone tell me which hormone causing them? 

My periods are messed up and are lasting a lot longer than they used to.  This last one has lasted 4 weeks, it finished today.  I also had some palpitations today and wondered if the 2 things were connected.  Is it caused by a rise in progesterone, which, I believe causes the bleeding to stop or is it a drop in the estrogen?  It's all too confusing for me, anyone have a simple way of explaining what is happening to me?  I used to consider myself of average intelligence but this has got me beat :)

Taz2

Re: Palpitations and Hormones
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 05:38:57 PM »

I think it must be a drop in oestrogen as mine disappear when I'm on HRT which is oestrogen only.

Taz x

toffeecushion

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »

Thanks Taz, when you got your palpitations did they just come every now and then one at a time or did you get a handful of them at once?  I seemed to get them on and off over half hour or so.  Very scary.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 07:42:58 PM »

I had episodes before I went on HRT. The very worst was when they lasted all day....I was very scared to be honest.
It is frightening but I do think it's linked to your cycle, but like every thing else you should not put it down to the menopause and get it checked out.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 07:49:45 PM »

Mine were more the ectopic beats where you feel as if the heart misses a beat then does a few rapid beats to catch up? Sometimes that would happen throughout the day and other times I would only have one episode. I wore the twenty four hour heart monitor which showed that nothing was technically wrong with the heart.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 08:15:34 PM »

Yes me too, I had got in a bit of a state and my then lovely GP did it for my peace of mind. I do . waken occasionally with my heart going ten to the dozen but if I take my pulse then it's steady. I find having a good cough helps regulate things or if I'm up a glass of wine settles things. I knew there was a reason for that bottle in the kitchen  ::)

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 08:19:52 PM »

Oooh - when I take my pulse it's doing the same as my heart feels it's doing!

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 08:26:43 PM »

I do have episodes of a very fast heartbeat. It feels as if my heart is working its way loose. I have had this for 25 years though so I can't blame hormones. If I waken with a start my heart goes into overdrive and its horrid but my pulse is steady.
It doesn't happen often but when it does I'm convinced I'm dying....that has never been caught on a monitor though.

Really don't know what causes it....I hate it though.

Honeyb
x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 07:35:10 PM »

I have had episodes of palpitations since my early twenties, but they have got a lot worse in the last 4 years, when my periods started going haywire!
I was checked by a cardiologist as I have a minor congenital heart defect, and he prescribed a beta blocker that I can take at night as that is when I find them most bothersome.
Mine have got worse during the day recently and I am wondering if this has to do with hormone changes as I have not had a period for seven months.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 07:39:55 PM »

My 14 year old son has them to, he was wired up to a heart event monitor for 2 weeks but nothing sinister was found.
Don't know what causes his, can't blame female hormones!

Js

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 05:23:38 PM »

I am on hrt and have been for 5 years  evoril conti patches I have been getting palpitations   Feel my heart misses a beat just when I'm sitting not when I'm excerting which is strange had blood test and  e c g today in fact and lady said it was a beautiful Ecg so why am I getting them I have been under a lot of stress lately or could it be hormonal as I have been reading on here very confused now but it is worrying any advice welcome

Js

dahliagirl

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 05:28:22 PM »

I get the ectopic heart beats, like TAZ2, in the evenings.

At the moment, I am trying femoston 2mg and it is looking ok.

I have trouble with the automatic blood pressure monitors - they show a very high reading.  I googled and it said that they do not give accurate readings on people with ectopic heart beats.  Now I know what it is.  Thanks Taz  :)  Now I will have to see if I can get the new surgery to understand  ::)

jgr

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 07:47:03 PM »

I am on Evoril Conti patches and have been getting ectopic heart beats for a few years now. Sometimes get them for a few weeks at a time and can have a two or three a minute when it is bad, then i can go for months without any that i am aware of. Just started getting a bit of AF which lasts for a few seconds then back to normal, not had this often and had all checks done with Cardiologist which have been clear. Hate it when the heart plays up.

Winterose

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 09:21:30 PM »

I had  and still have now and again , low thyroid was problem . 

dogdoc

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 01:52:59 PM »

Mine are terrible and very definitely cyclical.  I get them from the end of my period And they last about one week.  The rest of the month I get few to none. They are much worse at night than in the morning.

This time of the month should be almost no progesterone but an increasing level of estrogen which peaks at ovulation.
I too have no idea if it's rising estrogen, lack of progesterone or something completely different like cortisol, adrenaline or seratonin. I don't think anyone in the medical community knows either : /
Pages: [1] 2