Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan / Cyclogest - Advice please!  (Read 7332 times)

Zoo1

Utrogestan / Cyclogest - Advice please!
« on: September 22, 2015, 03:39:00 PM »

Hello,

I have previously been prescribed Oestrogel and Utrogestan HRT but was unable to tolerate the Utrogestan orally as I suffer from severe IBS and it seems to aggravate my gut symptoms.

After a bit of research on here I have found out that you can use Utrogestan vaginally so went back to the Dr at the menopause clinic and asked for Oestrogel and Utrogestan to use vaginally instead.

When I got home I realised he has prescribed Cyclogest not Utrogestan. From looking at this site it seems people have been prescibed Utrogestan/Oestrogel not Cyclogest/Oestrogel.

The reason that I wanted to go on to Utrogestan is because as I understand it is micronised progesterone and therefore a more natural form and better tolerated.
Would appreciate any advice or comments regarding this.
Thanks very much everyone.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Utrogestan / Cyclogest - Advice please!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 03:45:15 PM »

Of course the prescription will be wasted  >:( as Pharmacists won't take medicines back once they have left the premises, hence £80M at least of medicines down the drain  ::)

Give the Surgery a ring and ask the Receptionist to check what is typed in your records and ask for a repeat prescription which should be issued free …….unless you already don't pay  ;)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 05:21:47 PM »

Hi Zoo1 and welcome to MM
You need Hurdity to advice about this - she is a regular poster on MM and has used both Utrogestan and Cyclogest. I don't think your doctor has given the wrong prescription as in the UK Utrogestan is not licensed to be used vaginally - however many women use it this way including Hurdity. Cyclogest is a natural progesterone which I believe is meant to be used vaginally (I believe it is normally used to for fertility treatment and to control bleeding) but is not generally used for HRT purposes - I think Hurdity was originally given Cyclogest alongside oestrogen patches as an HRT combo, as Utrogeston wasn't on the market at the time.
Hopefully Hurdity will read your post and give you some advice. 
Your GP/doctor may be reluctant to prescribe Utrogeston to be used vaginally because it isn't licensed in the UK so it may a matter of white lying about how you are going to use it - I use Utrogestan orally but I think you can just push the little white pills deep into the vagina instead. DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 05:55:03 PM »

Haha! Thanks Dancinggirl - you have a great memory and have remembered my regime very well! Exactly as you say

Zoo1 yes I have used both. Cyclogest contains "natural" progesterone the same as Utrogestan - but in a waxy pessary which can also be used as a suppository. Cyclogest isn't licensed for use as part of HRT either so the doc could just as easily prescribe Utrogestan. What dose of Cyclogest have you been prescribed? Also Utrogestan for HRT is now only available as small 100 mg capsules so you need two of them for cyclical HRT - I haven't tried them yet as still using up my 200 mg supply. However you can still get 200 mg Utrogestan for fertility (vaginal use) so the doc could prescribe these (off licence) and they are exactly the same as the oral ones! Dazned gets hers with an applicator but not sure how you get these!

CLKD Zoo doesn't say that she has actually got the Cyclogest, just the prescription so hopefully not wasted!

Personally I would prefer Utrogestan to Cyclogest as less messy - but you have to get used to mess in this business and you don't want to take pills or oral HRT! If you have already got the Cyclogest - then why not give them a try?

Hurdity x

dazned

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 06:30:39 PM »

I just asked my gp for it that way and took the box in with me to show her,and on the instruction label that the pharmacy sticks on she put to be used as directed by consultant.  ;)

Zoo1

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 05:06:50 PM »

Hello Everyone,

Thanks very much for the replies.

CKLD - I haven't yet filled the prescription so not been wasted luckily :)

Hurdity - The Cyclogest is 200mg. I actually asked for Utrogestan as I know it will be less messy plus I suffer from VA and am worried that the thick waxy coating on Cyclogest may make things worse perhaps??

I am going back to my GP tomorrow to discuss this all with her.

Thanks again