Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Update on anxiety  (Read 3615 times)

Cwtch

Update on anxiety
« on: September 13, 2015, 10:23:09 AM »

Since last posting I have yet again been back to the G.P.  Have never been to the surgery so often in my life !  The doctor has now prescribed beta-blockers to use as needed if I have a bad anxiety attack.  I am yet undecided as to whether to try them and yet to pick up the prescription.  Has anyone had positive results from using them?  The G.P. also suggested A.D.'s and said because I seem to be having a bad week every month I could just take them for the week when needed.  This is a first for me as I thought once on them you had to take them continually ?  I have decided against taking A.D.'s at the moment.  Is it common on sequi-HRT to have monthly dips in mood like PMT ?  Or can you also have the same experience with continuous HRT ?  I had a bad week around the time of the monthly bleed and have thankfully felt OK since but I am assuming the same is going to happen every month - and I am already dreading it !  Any comments and advice appreciated !

TropicalVon69

Re: Update on anxiety
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 10:41:59 AM »

Hi....sorry I can't help from my experience as not taking anything ATM apart from supplements vits etc but sure ladies with experience will be along to help.....can only sympathise....sending hugs x

dazned

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 10:57:23 AM »

Hi I use ADS,not for depression but for anxiety,palps,etc. Have never heard of using them one week here and there I must say ! Quite a few on here use beta blockers though this way successfully I believe,hopefully they will be along to tell you of their experiences. I know Iam much better with my medication alongside my hrt,however I'm starting to taper off my hrt with a view to stopping it entirely. Hope you get some relief soon.

SadLynda

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 01:27:24 PM »

Hi Cwtch

I think the BB's seem to work differently with each of us.  I tried a few to see how I got on, they did calm me down a bit, but only the physical symptoms which is what they are for.  Wonder if your GP is wanting to give you diazepan if its just for as and when? They seem to help many too.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 05:52:46 PM »

I've never heard of prescribing anti depressants in an on/off way either. Diazepam is a tranquiliser not an anti depressant though. Which type have you been prescribed Cwtch?

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 06:50:59 PM »

I was prescribed Propranolol in 2002 - 80mg at night for 3 weeks dropped down to 40mg - in order to control the morning anxiety surges.  In May this year I dropped the dose to 40mg due to dull headaches which lasted all day.  However: background anxiety began then panic attacks, silly me; didn't associate it with the drop of dose as there was a lot going on through the months which I could blame for the anxiety.

I have taken antidepressant medication since 1988 and have NEVER heard of ADs being used 'as necessary'.  All those I have been prescribed have needed to be taken daily in order to build up support for the brain.

Valium, Ativan etc. can be taken 'as necessary' as prescribed.  Not to be relied upon for long-term use.

Have you thought of Rescue Remedy, it has worked for me.  Silly me [again], I forgot this year to use it  :-\ - found some today and have put it where I can see it! in case.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 08:29:20 PM »

The latest research on severe PMS/PMDD is that taking an AD for 7-10 days prior to your period is just as effective as taming it every day, all month.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 11:53:49 AM »

Oh do post the Research GRL - from long-term experience of ADs (1988) it is worth while knowing of updates in case I need something different in future as the brain can 'poop out' once it gets used to a particular drug  ::)

Cwtch

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 04:35:24 PM »

Many thanks for all your replies . Have yet to get the tablets but will prob get them and if I have a bad blip will give them a go and report back.  So far this month I have been feeling well but will be interested to see how I feel in the week when 'period' is due.  I'm still hoping the HRT has kicked in and I don't get severe monthly PMT  symptoms including the dreaded anxiety!!!

Cwtch

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 04:17:58 PM »

Forgot to say yes I love the rescue remedies - no idea if they really make a difference but its good to feel like your taking something. I also take kalms when I'm having a bad run of anxiety. Just bought night time kalms to try due to waking in the wee small hours.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 05:47:33 PM »

Do you keep a note of your ups and downs?

Cwtch

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 07:55:52 PM »

I have started marking anxiety attacks on calendar - basically seem to be happening 7-10 days around the monthly 'period' (due to being on sequi HRT).  It is a bit like PMT (I think as I have not really suffered bad PMT before !).  I don't know if going on to conti HRT would solve the problem or even whether it would just happen monthly regardless of being on HRT ?  At least I have 2-3 weeks feeling OK  (apart from the 7-10 day blip). 

LeeJane

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 07:59:48 PM »

I have been on AD's for many years, I have never heard it suggested that they be taken just a week a month.  I thought they had to be taken daily and take a good 5 or 6 weeks to kick in.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 07:49:12 AM »

Good idea to keep a note - when my anxiety begins I have a score rating of 1-5: 5 being when I have to take emergency medication.

If you find that the anxiety is 'monthly' could you cope? 

GRL - could you point us in the direction of the 'research' that you mentioned?  'calls for papers', 'abstracts', 'authors' etc.; I am intrigued as to any new suggestions in case I need to change my current AD in future.

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 06:33:01 AM »

I've found this one CLKD - third paragraph http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/articles/comparing-full-and-half-cycle-treatment-serotonergic-antidepressants-severe-pms  This is from 1999 so not new research it seems.

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2