Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: List of more unusual menopause symptoms - what are yours?  (Read 118173 times)

Unhinged

List of more unusual menopause symptoms - what are yours?
« on: August 28, 2015, 06:17:34 PM »

Hello all menopausal ladies! I've been chatting to a few lovely ladies on another thread and we have been saying that it would be a good idea to have a list of some of the less well publicised symptoms of menopause - it's very well documented re flushes, crazy periods etc., but some of the symptoms we suffer are so weird and scary, that until we come across a post by chance where another lady has the same symptoms, well, we feel downright terrified and think we're the only one! Even when we approach the docs with them, unless you get lucky and have a doc who actually knows something about meno, they won't even accept that it's caused by hormones! But we know different don't we - of course some of us may have symptoms that are NOT due to menopause, but there's an awful lot of us in meno experiencing similar things.

I'd love to hear what your symptoms are if you get a spare minute, here are mine:

(I'm 54 and 4 years post meno, so no periods, just recently started HRT: Femoston Conti ultra low dose).

1). Day and night flushes.
2), Crippling anxiety which comes and goes.
3). Weak legs and arms, comes and goes, sometimes whole body weakness
4). Generally feeling rough like I could be starting a virus.
5). No energy - tiredness and sleepiness.
6). Heartburn/acid reflux.
7). Feeling overwhelmed, like I can't cope.
8) Lack of interest in anything.
9). Surging 'rushes' from chest upwards - adrenaline?
10). Feel pressure in head, like it's gripped in a vice but not strong headache.
11). Weird vision, not blurred, but sort of 'vague'.
12). Stomach upsets.
13). Weird jangling along jawbone and in salivary glands.
14). Flashes of irritability.
15). Sensitive to noise.
16). Can't always cope with a long conversation.
17). Bloating.
18). Feel of being off-centred, spaced out.
19). Excess mucus in throat, constantly clearing.
20). Often wake with right nostril blocked.
21). Sudden breathlessness; could be anxiety.
22). Bad obsessive thoughts.
23). Brain fog/can't think straight/forgetfulness.
24). Can't cope with pressure, ie work stress.

There will be more and I will add them if/when this current spell of brain fog clears!
I'd love to read your lists, it might really help someone else who feels they're going mad with some new weird symptom - and boy, some of them are REALLY not fun at all are they!

Unhinged xxx
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 06:43:50 PM by Unhinged »

SadLynda

Re: List of more unusual menopause symptoms - what are yours?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 06:43:41 PM »

I dont get the mucas in throat (yet).

Up all night to wee, 5 or 6 times a night.
constant crying.

(and all the ones you both get)

Unhinged

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 06:48:55 PM »

Thanks Sparkle and SadLynda, and you two encouraged me to start it, so thanks again for that and posting! This could work, you two have some symptoms that I don't get yet either, so it's working already, I can now know in advance that it's just damn hormones again if I do get them! xx P.S. I have no idea why my number 8 is showing with sunglasses on, and it won't let me change it, oh well!

Nearly crossed post, Sparkle, that's amazing, you're the first one I've heard of with that too - thankyou! x

Unhinged

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 07:01:58 PM »

Ha ha, that's funny, and naughty again Sparkle tut tut hee hee, yes the weird right nostril club, I wonder if any more ladies have it? How exciting that I have a blocked nostril twin! x 

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 07:15:15 PM »

The main one for me is weird short term memory problems.

Our heating is on a timer which I override at this time of year. I turn it off...or on and ten minutes later I can't remember if I have or haven't. Drives me nuts as I have a really good memory for everything else.

Oh I have the blocked nostril thing. At one point I had to see a consultant for a recurrent ear infection and perforated ear drum . He told me I had a deviated septum....as most people do. I was told it was easily fixed and he would do it for me. I enquired as to how this would be done. He wanted to break my nose and reset it straight.....um no way  ;D
If you get someone to look at your face behind you in a mirror they will be able to tell you if your nose is straight or not. If it's wonky then you have a deviated septum and that causes a stuffed up nose on one side. Unfortunately it's very common.

Honeybun
X

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 07:28:42 PM »

Hi Unhinged

Some of those may not necessarily be menopause symptoms though unless you've had all of them since before you started HRT. I think I might have mentioned on another thread that if you are taking continuous progestogen you could get persistnet low grade adverse symptoms due to this.

I recognise some of these symptoms either when I have a migraine - or duirng the 3 days it lasts even if the headache is controlled, or when I am on the progesterone part of HRT - especially all the head and energy related ones ie 4, 5, 8, 10, 15 (high), 18, 23. I can see if you've only just started HRT though perhpas you've been experiencing these for a long time!

If some of them are recent do think about the cyclical HRT though which unfortunately would give a bleed...

I've solved your sunglasses problem. If you look at the smileys when you make a post you will see that when you clikc on the sunglasses one - in your draft post it comes up as an 8 with a close bracket like so 8)but I have done it without a space so you can see the number. If I just type the 8 then bracket like so 8) I will get the sunglasses smiley! I rather like it anyway - looks kind of ironic with the comment beside it!

Apart from the ones mentioned when on the prog ( sometimes) and when I get a migraine - I don't get any of them - not that cause any problem (for most of past 8 + years - on 50 mcg Estradot on long cycle with 200 mcg progesterone taken vaginally every 6-8 weeks). Started just before age 54 in late peri.  :)

Hurdity x

Unhinged

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 07:43:47 PM »

Thanks Honeybun & Hurdity!

That's a new one for me Honeybun, the short term memory problem. Eek, I don't like the sound of your nostril solution! x

Hurdity - thanks re the sunglasses, may try to edit, then again maybe not ha ha! Yes unfortunately all those symptoms are long term prior to HRT, but I have taken your advice from my other thread (thanks again!), am staying with the Femoston for 3 months, and I'm hoping some of these symptoms will decrease, actually, with HRT I find I am already getting a lessening of the weak legs problem x

Unhinged

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 07:46:01 PM »

Forgot to list one of my regular symptoms!

25) Inner trembling/shakiness.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 07:55:44 PM »

Good thread

It is known that eustachian tubes can become narrowed with a change of hormones.  Post nasal drip then becomes more noticeable.  I have allergic rhinitis and occasional use of Beconase nasal spray helps.

Itchyness anyone: my insteps as soon as I get into the bath at night
Ichyness anyone - all over my back, I would love to have someone scratch gently several times a day  ::) and of course, the itchy spots are where I can no longer reach!
Restless leg syndrome - eased by lots of bananas

Other symptoms can be: frozen shoulder/s - lack of oestrogen can cause laxity of muscles  >:(.  Both Mums and my paternal Grandma suffered.

As for forgetfulness - apparently it is GOOD that we remember that we forget - if we had a dementia-type illness then we would forget, end of  ;) - I could write a thread on it's own about forgetting!

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 08:06:50 PM »

But would you remember to start it  ;D

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 08:11:52 PM »

:lol: ……..  :whist:

As for sore scalp - I find that if I don't wash my hair regularly my head hurts  :-\

Unhinged

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 08:12:09 PM »

Brill post CLKD! I had no idea that could happen with the Eustachian tubes, it's great to know that there is a logical hormonal reason, very reassuring, thankyou.

Itchyness, frozen shoulder - they would be another new one for me, so I will be watching out for that - but not looking forward to the itching! It may not happen of course but to know they're symptoms experienced by someone else means they're in the 'known symptoms drawer' ready.

Restless legs, I get that and forgot to put it on the list, drives me bananas sometimes - so I'm going to get some, thanks for the tip!

But will you remember to write the thread if you decide to? Hee hee x

(Honeybun you posted same time as me ha ha x)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 08:13:52 PM by Unhinged »

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 08:14:42 PM »

:na:  now which thread was that ………  :neutral:
Symptoms will/not arrive - don't look for them though or you will be awake all night !

Unhinged

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 08:21:07 PM »

Sparkle, yes inner fizziness!

Also, 26) Tingling on back of hands, sometimes for hours that nothing will stop.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 08:22:33 PM »

Yep - gritty eyes ……… need to rub them a lot 'cos they itch. 

Crikey we needs a Vet.  ::)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16