Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Waiting for mammogram results  (Read 25743 times)

countrybumpkin

Waiting for mammogram results
« on: August 25, 2015, 08:18:28 AM »

I had mine 10 days ago. At my last one 3 yrs ago they said up to two weeks for results but I had a letter after 6 days but this time as its in school holidays they said with staff on holiday it could be up to 3 weeks.

Its only 10 days and I am a total wreck, I am even having nightmares about the xxx letter arriving!

To complicate matters I had a cardiac moniter inserted into the edge of my left breast 10 weeks ago and despite explaining this to everyone and making sure it was recorded for the person reading the mammo I can't help worrying that this could cause me to have a recall.

I have a family history of breast cancer which does not help my worry.

dahliagirl

Re: Waiting for mammogram results
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 08:46:28 AM »

I had one in November, which I had not wanted to go to at all,  and convinced myself that if I was to have a recall, it would come back quickly, and the fact that it was taking a long time was good.  It took a while so it was a surprise to get a recall on day 13.  I then had to wait a couple of weeks to be seen as the date they gave me clashed with a funeral that I wanted to attend.  I have since read that they do not send results out on days that mean you will get them at a weekend when there is no one to phone up about them, so that may build in a delay.

I was always worried that they would be picking up scar tissue from mastitis which I had a lot of when my first baby was little.  I was pretty convinced I did not have cancer (and the statistics for recalls bear that out), but all the waiting was stressful.

When I got there, the pictures they had were pretty convincing.  They were very, very thorough with their mammograms and ultrasound  ::) and did not find a thing.  Also, the mammogram lady, who stayed with me the chaperone the consultant radiologist who did the ultrasound, was very good at explaining what she was doing and very competent and the whole thing was a much better experience than the screening mammograms.  I wouldn't worry about going back to them again, just the inconvenience.

Also, because my very first experience was not good, I took paracetamol and nurophen plus before I went and did not feel a thing  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 08:56:00 AM »

I had to wait just over three weeks for my results earlier this year. It seemed an eternity at the time so I know how you feel.
Don't think it's unusual to wait more though. My daughter was nearly a month for smear results.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 10:00:02 AM »

Mine is usually a week but this year it was three weeks to the day. I always think that the longer the wait the better to be honest. All of my friends who have been recalled have heard within ten days whereas the ones who have been given the all clear seem to wait the longest for the result.

Taz x  :hug:

Linsey44

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 09:37:26 PM »

In one way we are so lucky to have access to mammos  and in another it causes us stress which itself can be a contributory factor for many conditions.

Unfortunately some women need to have annual mamo, wait for results be called for an annual mri then wait for results etc and before you know a few months of the year has gone by worrying about it all.

Not fair is it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 02:14:56 PM »

It is the waiting that makes us twitchy ………. taking into account time of years [holidays], lack of Staff across the NHS  ::)

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 02:44:36 PM »

I am not a patient person at best of time, I am a doer and organiser and sort it out person.  I nearly die of fright every day at lunchtime when the post drops through the letterbox and then don't know if i am glad or not when there is no result letter. 
I just want to know!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 04:40:21 PM »

You could by-pass the system and ring to check that the mammo has been reported on  ;) ……….

countrybumpkin

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 05:46:58 PM »

They won't tell you over the phone in case its not you but an imposter! Bet they will just say due to staff holidays blah balh!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 05:48:44 PM »

My X-ray Dept tells me! without any problems  :-\ ……….

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 10:51:06 PM »

I think that if you've been told that it's three weeks then it wouldn't be very well received if you phoned early!  If everyone phoned early for their results then it would overload the team and take even longer for the letters to get sent out? If it goes longer than the three weeks then a phone call would be much more acceptable I reckon. In this part of the country three weeks is the norm.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 09:23:06 AM »

They really shouldn't tell anyone over the phone. Heavens our electricity supplier won't even speak to my hubby because the account is in my name.
Very surprised CLKD.

Three weeks is the norm up here too....unless it's holiday times.

Honeyb
x

babypink2807

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 09:28:14 AM »

Seriously dont envy you waiting for the results, its an indescribable wait, hope it all goes well

dazned

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 10:12:40 AM »

I'm sure you would have heard by now if something was amiss,no news really is good news in these cases  ;) but it's not easy I know.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 10:39:45 AM »

My X-ray Dept tells me! without any problems  :-\ ……….

I wonder if its different for you being a previous breast cancer patient??  I only have the phone number for the breast screening unit. I will certainly be ringing if it gets to end of next week and no word!  I always worry that a letter has gone missing in the post and I have then missed an appt ::)
Pages: [1] 2