Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Anxiety and how it started  (Read 4276 times)

debby

Anxiety and how it started
« on: August 24, 2015, 01:00:10 PM »

Hi. Have been reading a lot of your posts. I am suffering extreme anxiety, and though I wouldn't wish it on anyone it is heartening to know I'm not alone. This is a little long winded, but has anyone had awakening in the night with shortness of breath and palpitations. All tests were normal in hospital, but I'm wondering if it was the start of menopause, as I had had an hysterectomy (ovaries spared) 2 years earlier. That was 10 years ago when I also had high antibodies to my thyroid. Docs put me on benzos and it appeared to help at the beginning. Didn't have any hot flushes until about 4 years ago and consulted gynae who said I could be like this including shortness of breath and palpitations for 20 years. I am weaning from the benzos, but wasn't on them before these symptoms started, and have these symptoms sometimes for a couple of weeks then a rest and back again. seems to be no pattern. Is anyone in the same boat. I don't know if I'm on right track with having thyroid and other autoimmune probs. Any opinions gratefully received.

honeybun

Re: Anxiety and how it started
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 01:26:11 PM »

Sorry I can't advise about the thyroid problems but I have suffered from palpitations. HRT mostly sorted it for me but I still have them occasionally. Horrible things especially in the middle of the night when everything seems worse.

I'm sure others will be along soon to help.

Honeybun
X

debby

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 01:49:38 PM »

Thanks honeybun x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 02:16:51 PM »

My first panic attack happened when I was 3 years old.  Probably due to the stresses around the various family members  :'( so I've been on high alert since then.

debby

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 02:52:39 PM »

I'm really sorry to hear that. They say that there is a connection between the gut and brain, and there is a lot of info out there if you're interested. I always suffered with anxiety, but never like this.

dazned

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 06:11:36 PM »

My main meno symptoms are anxiety,palps,etc,even borderline panic attacks which in turn causes shortness of breath. Horrible isn't it !

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 07:02:30 PM »

Debby - I've had all the types of counselling on the market, my fear was instilled when I was a few hours old.  No amount of CBT can help.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 07:24:05 PM »

Hi debby

Is your thyroid well controlled be medication - because I'm sure you know that if you have too much this can also cause increased heart rate/palpitations?

It is difficult sometimes at this stage to distnguish between menopausal and thyroid symptoms I understand, but have you thought of HRT? You haven't said how old you are but this would certainly help with palpitations, hot flushes and hopefully anxiety (if you choose the right preparation).

If you do consider it I have read that if you have thyroid problems, transdermal HRT is better and doesn't seem to interefere with thyroid meds - or at least less so than with oral HRT. Sometimes when women start HRT they need to adjust their thyroid medication but once controlled it should be OK.

Hurdity x

debby

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 12:02:11 PM »

Thanks Hurdity.
I'm 56, and I have hashimotos, having very high antibodies to my thyroid. The palpitations and breathlessness were there before I took any thyroid med.  Been told by docs that I need to increase levothyroxine, but so far have been unable, not sure for the reason and have been advised to see an endocrinologist again, also to discuss my very low estrogen levels, gp described my ovaries as 'dead'. These are my blood test results, they mean nothing to me. Serum FSH 91.0 iu/L. Follicular: 3.8; Mid cycle 3-17; Luteal ; 1-6; Postmenopausal: 27-133 IU/L. Used Estrogel (estradiol) for a number of months over a year ago, but felt that I was only delaying the inevitable, I've read so much about all the symptoms returning after stopping HRT. I am struggling to get off benzodiazepines too, which again I was not on when had first symptoms. It isn't clear cut, but I'm sure of one thing and that is I am worse since post meno. I really don't know what to do and I am very worried I may never be able to fully come off benzos, which are causing daily withdrawal effects.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 01:26:40 PM »

Do a search for your condition, I'm sure it rings a bell  ::)

Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 05:32:39 PM »

Hello debby and welcome to the forum.

A friend of mine struggled to get her thyroid meds right when she was going through the menopause having been completely stable for about twenty years. Having said that palpitations can also be part of the meno and they used to wake me up every morning but seem to have abated in the last six months.
It seems like you are struggling with two conditions at the moment so no wonder you are worried.

I hope you get the help you need and begin to feel better very soon.

Sending hugs and take care.

K.

debby

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 09:46:55 PM »

Hi CKLD. Which condition are you referring too. Sorry foggy brain. Thanks for reply and also to Kathleen. I am so confused as to what is causing what, as I have read that not enough thyroid meds can cause palpitations. It is weird though, that I can be fairly ok for a couple of weeks then I seem to go through a bad patch. I need to get off the benzos to see where I stand, but it is scary and i am worried that I will have all the symptoms I started with anyway x

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 07:45:57 AM »

Hi debby

Just to say that your FSH levels there are very high and although docs don't go on one blood test, the fact that even one reading is this high shows you would be peri-menopausal if not post (which you may be). If you are getting hot flushes and other symptoms as well I would definitely try again with oestrogel - you are not delaying the inevitable - you are protecting your future health and giving yourself several years of hopefully a more comfortable time, rather than suffering. This will reduce the hot flushes and hopefully also you will find some of the other symptoms lessen. You may also need to adjust your thyroid meds too - but worth persevering. Without taking the estrogel it will always be difficult to work out what's due to what, with your thyroid condition as well and some overlapping symptoms.

Yes good idea to taper off the benzos and concentrate on oestrogen and thryoid meds because these are what you need and will benefit you!  :)

Hurdity x

debby

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 08:30:19 PM »

I haven't been onto forum for some time, but thankyou for reply Hurdity. I have been told I am post meno, and the doc seemed very concerned about my sex hormone level and antibodies to my thyroid, and has given me a referral to see a private endo (waiting list so long on the NHS). Had the letter for a couple of months but have to find an endocrinologist and no clue who. Have had a terrible time the last 3 weeks, the usual palps, chronic anxiety and now headaches. I think you're right, I need to try something to see if anything improves. I have a family history of avoiding medication. Can you expand on the FSH level. Thankyou.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 04:26:46 PM »

Your GP should be able to refer you to a Private Consultant who you may find, also works for the NHS.  It really should not be necessary for a patient to have to chase round searching  >:(!

Ring your NHS Hospital/s and find out the name of the Endo - most NHS Trusts have a list of Staff on their web-sites these days.  Then ring the Secretary and see if the Consultant offers private appts..