Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suddenly short sighted?  (Read 10555 times)

Briony

Suddenly short sighted?
« on: August 24, 2015, 10:54:47 AM »

Had my eyes tested today. They were fine 12 months ago, no change of prescription. Today I have been told my prescription has changed massively and my doc needs to be informed. I am now in a right panic!

Has anyone else suddenly found their eyes have suddenly become short sighted? (I am 43). Could it be linked to hormones? I have been on a very lose dose BCP since the start of the year. Could there be a connection? Also have blocked tear ducts, apparently, causing problems with my contact lens.

Any advice appreciated xx

honeybun

Re: Suddenly short sighted?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 11:23:38 AM »

Has anyone suggested having your blood sugar levels checked. Diabetes that is undiagnosed can cause vision changes.
When my hubby was developing this his eyesight changed a lot but as he didn't tell anyone it was not picked up on. His sight is now back to what it was.

Some pharmacies do glucose checks.

Honeyb
x

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 03:17:09 PM »

Briony - Dry eyes play havoc with contact lenses.
Blocked tear ducts and dry eyes really affect the way lenses work and focus.
I vaguely seem to remember something about the BCP affecting contact lens  wear, something about the eyes getting drier.

Last year I had a meibomian cyst on my upper eye lid, white gross looking lump.
Had to really cut down on my lens wearing time, now back to normal ish.
I've been using a warm eye bag to help keep the tear ducts clear and that has helped a lot.

Go and have a chat with your GP.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 03:39:57 PM »

My female cousin apparently was unable to wear contact lenses whilst pregnant ………

Briony

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 04:09:10 PM »

Thanks so much. You lovely ladies have calmed me down!  My mum had eye cancer a few years ago, so I always panic at anything to do with sight. It has coincided so much with taking BCP that I think there must be a connection? Thank you again xxx

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 04:28:40 PM »

BCP - Birth Control Pill

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 04:58:41 PM »

When do you see your GP?

Briony

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 06:46:20 PM »

Went today (mainly to discuss HRT/pill)  but the letter from optician hadn't arrived yet! Whilst waiting to see my GP (locum today) I will try the hot pad thing and drops. x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 06:47:43 PM »

Why didn't the GP ring for a copy, which could have been faxed  >:(  ::)

dahliagirl

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 09:05:20 AM »

My eyesight used to change whilst pregnant.  I do not know about BCP, as I took it for years so probably did not know any different.

Dryness of eyes is indeed a problem and makes contacts difficult.  I had eye drops I used to get from Boots which moistened them during the day (and helped get them out at the end) and used disposables.  I have given up on them now.

Briony

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 09:41:22 AM »

That's really interesting. I wonder if my prescription would change again if I stopped taking hormones? I can't believe how many different body systems our blinking hormones can affect!!

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 09:57:37 AM »

Hi Briony - I know that some studies have found that women who use the BCP for a number of years go on to develop glaucoma but I can't find anything which links short sightedness to hormones. It can also cause double vision in some women. One of the early symptoms of a developing cataract is a worsening of short sightedness though so maybe that's why you are being referred to your GP? Have you noticed any difference in your sight when watching tv or driving?

Taz x

libby1

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 10:18:46 AM »

I've worn contacts for 20 years and my eyesight has got dramatically worse in the the last year, both long and short sight  >:( I also have astigmatism and it's that eye that has got worse. I think it's an age thing as I have regular eye checks.

Libby
x

Pollie

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 10:50:41 AM »

Hi Briony

Is it your distance vision that has changed or your near vision ?

Do you have your current and previous prescriptions - do you know how much change?

Your GP will most likely refer you to your local hospital Ophthalmology dept. This will be graded  as a 'routine' referral or an 'urgent' referral by the hospital depending on what your doctor writes in the referral letter. What your doctor writes will depend upon what the optician says.

If I were you I would go back to the optician and ask for a copy of the report and then whilst you are there ask the optician to explain. It is possible that the optician saw something in the back of your eye that requires a referral.

On the other hand it is entirely possible that you have worsening near vision which is perfectly normal in the 40's and 50's and can happen quite quickly is some people -particularly if previous near vision checks were not accurate .....

Let us know how you get on

Pollie

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 10:59:26 AM »

Lovely post Pollie.

Is short sightedness when you can see close-up but not distance?

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2