Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: bronchoscopy  (Read 6416 times)

karenja

bronchoscopy
« on: August 19, 2015, 06:35:23 PM »

Hi has anybody had one of these please Im terrified  :'(

honeybun

Re: bronchoscopy
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 08:09:14 PM »

Have you had a CT scan first.

What's happening, can you talk about it.

:hug:

Honeybun
X

karenja

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 08:54:25 PM »

Hi yes been bringing up bloody phlegm occassionally so the doctor referred me for a chest x ray and to see a consultant, the consultant did a second x ray as the first shows a shaddow on my clavicle, so did thd second one, so they did a c t scan, I was told by Hebrew consultants secretary that nothing on the ct scan is giving cause for the blood, don't the nose camera thing is to look further into that, but I won't know anymore about the shadow until I've had the camera thing and have my follow up meeting with the consultant, but I'm
V nervous

karenja

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 08:55:27 PM »

The consultant not Hebrew!

thorntrees

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 11:44:24 AM »

Hi Karenja, I had a bronchoscopy a few years ago whilst I was having chemotherapy as one of the drugs used caused scarring to appear on one lung. It was done as a day case and I had sedation, just enough to make me relax!!. Inserting the camera wasn't too bad it makes you cough a bit but the nurse was very kind reminding me to not panic and just breath slowly. You can watch what is happening on a screen and when the consultant moved the scope you could sort of feel it but not painful. Once it was over apart from checking you over, blood pressure etc that was it. I expected to have a sore throat but didn't so do try not to worry , it's not a pleasant experience but the staff will help you to cope.

Thorntrees

karenja

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 08:12:34 PM »

thank you thorntrees, good to hear from somebody who has been through it

ellie

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 08:24:47 PM »

Is it like having an endoscopy, but one goes into tummy and the other into your lungs....anybody?

Scampi

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 12:37:47 PM »

Strictly speaking, Ellie, an endoscopy is a procedure that looks inside (endo just means 'inside') - it can look inside anything (engineers use endoscopes to look inside engines!).

The part of the word before 'scopy' tells you where they are looking, eg:
gastroscopy - stomach
bronchoscopy - lungs
cystoscopy - bladder
colonscopy - colon
etc ....

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 12:42:56 PM »

How are you karenja ?

Ok I hope.

Honeybun
X

ellie

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 02:27:31 PM »

Thank you Scampi  :)

karenja

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 06:32:45 PM »

Hi Honeybun

Im ok still v nervous, my anxiety doesn't help, ive been told they use numbing spray on your throat and nose and you can also been semi sedated but this make you feel drunk/have room spin, this makes me feel worst and even though the numbing spray is  not mean to be pleasant at all, I don't want to be sedated if that's how it feels x

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 06:45:20 PM »

Some people are more comfortable with procedures than others.

Explain your concerns to the team that will be doing this and they will keep you right. The nurses are there to help you get through this and they will do all they can to help.

Whenever I have had anything done I have found the nurses to be lovely. You need to trust them, so maybe you need a little bit of sedation. The procedure will be done....you won't remember it ....you have a nice sleep and waken up to a cup of tea before you go home.

Take care.

Honeybun
X

thorntrees

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 06:55:33 PM »

Honeybun is right, the nurses will help you to relax and feel confident about what is happening. They are used to people being anxious and know what to say and do and will explain what is happening each step of the way. The numbing spray is not too bad , tastes of bananas if anything and it does work. The sedation I had didn't put me to sleep or make everything spin around it just made me feel a bit floaty like things were going on around me, I could still talk to the staff and listen to what was going on and once it was over that feeling soon wore off and I was fine. A cup of tea later and I was ready for home. Talk to the nurses and take their advice on what is best to help you through, it really won't be so bad, as always with these things it's worrying about what is unknown that is the worst .
Take care

Thorntrees

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 09:14:16 AM »

Hi karenja - I don't think that they can carry out this procedure without sedation. Although some people can get a dizzy feeling others don't have any side effects from the small amount of sedative used. Looking at the NHS site it seems to take around fifteen minutes and sometimes only ten. I would also be nervous - it's the thought of something being put up my nose that I don't like. I've had the numbing spray for endoscopy which did taste very strange but wasn't bad.

I've always found that my anxiety is far worse before any procedure but once in the hospital/clinic/ you tend to be swept along by the whole professionalism of the staff and you do just have to sort of give yourself up to their care and knowledge and before you know it, as thorntrees says, you will be having a cuppa and waiting to go home. Do you know how long you will have to wait for results?

Taz x

karenja

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 09:19:20 AM »

Thank you all for you replies and reassurances, it's Wednesday and every time I think of it I'm getting anxious, still scared of the sedation but if I have to have it then so be it, be glad when it's over now, just hope it isn't cancelled again it was last week x
Pages: [1] 2 3